Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Kokonos

Kokonos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting, mine always whines, no matter the load. Yeah, it's not super loud or anything, but for me who often use the laptop in quiet environments it can get annoying. at first bootup, I thought they sent me one with a hard drive.. Can still hear it slightly when sitting outside where the ambient noise is relatively high compared to almost nothing inside. Shame that few cares to do anything about this.

I have the 4K matte version with 8GB RAM. On the site I bought it, it does say 1x8GB which would indicate one 8GB soldered and one slot for expansion. I haven't confirmed this myself though.

I've read and feared about people having "mustard" yellows on the UX501JW. I can happily report that my yellows look great. Personally I think the display is a little too warm for my taste(very similar to the Moto X Style). Note that this is only really noticable when comparing side by side. The blacks aren't really that great but other than that I was pleasantly surprised, the colors pop and look nicer than on my Acer XB270HU. Slight backlight bleed on top corners, nothing I'd be concerned about.

Outdoor use on sunny days is possible when browsing white pages, the brightness is where it's lacking, the matte screen takes the experence from unusable to mediocre i'd say. Using it indoors I've had no problems with the brightness and it does get dim enough without 3rd party software to be used in a completely dark room and there's no noticable flickering.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. Biao

Biao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Calgor,

For my point of view, the uHD matte screen is great, no problem at all to use it in outdoors. Still no luck with my 950 Pro 256 GB. I've returned the SSD to the seller.

3. Calgor

Calgor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Kokonos and Biao.

Seems like the Australian version should be good enough as long as it can do at least 16GB RAM (will ask Asus again); will forego the touchscreen as non-essential.

4. Calgor

Calgor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Regarding why your 256GB 950 Pro did not work, specifically for the VW model, I found someone with the sister model G501VW had the exact same symptoms as yourself with the same SSD and he found a solution (creating a Windows UEFI on a USB stick and doing a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD):
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84562-Samsung-950-pro-M-2-SSD-Cannot-install-on-G501VW

I know you returned your SSD but maybe if someone else is having problems on the UX501VW they could give that a try.

5. ChoppyAnimations

ChoppyAnimations Newbie

Reputations:
    YES! This exactly has been what I have been asking about for so long. All these others laptops I see, that window maximizing is butter smooth. No stutter at all. But this laptop we have, which is supposed to be so powerful, stutters to maximize a full screen window? WTF intel?

It really looks like there is no solution to this.

6. ChoppyAnimations

ChoppyAnimations Newbie

Reputations:

Any solution to this? Did you find a way to get the maximizing animations to be 60 fps?

7. Kokonos

Reputations:
    No real solution, It's smooth when running at 1080p so there's definitely some optimization that needs to be done here unless someone with a 4K screen and a powerful desktop graphics card experience the same issue. Never had issues with 1440p but that's quite far from 4K.

If you're ever planning on getting an eGPU than that should solve the issue when stationary(assuming poor optimization is the root).

What is more concering is the odd performance issues and poor gpu utilization that I get whenever I'm using native res.

8. fayth

fayth Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  9. Kokonos

Reputations:
    Nope, but one potential issue is throttling. For some reason the 960m has a what appears to be locked temp limit at 80 degrees C. Even though the CPU is undervolted(which made a significant difference) I can still see slight throttling at stock speeds on my ux501vw. The 965m draws 10 W more so you'll probably be forced to underclock the CPU to lower the load on the cooling system which they share. Assuming the 965m has the same temp limit.

Even just increaing it to 85 would of made a

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  10. Andi P.

Andi P. Notebook Consultant

Reputations: