Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. SpQg

SpQg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I completely agree, I'm not the one running lower power plan options, but you are right 99% will disable turbo on the processor and should in many cases be adequate for this design. However, as asus and many other vendors have introduced a feature for disabling turboclocks on the CPU when both the CPU and GPU are in use, it kinda invadlidates the point. The reason for throttlestop is rather to ensure highest posible clocks under load - but at the moment they are the same for me at least as it will thermal throttle otherwise, due to thermal level being so low.

And no you shouldn't be doing so in a well designed laptop at this pricerange - it however is needed if you want to avoid thermal throttling of both GPU and CPU.

hmscott likes this.
  2. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    i bet the first thing that will fail on the ux501 and g501 are the hinges.
    cheap plastic screw points.

check out the hinge mount on the other newer asus light gaming notebook... k501ux

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  3. ferrum2k

ferrum2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got my laptop back from service (with tickiling sound issue)/

They changed motherboard and now it is silent!

hmscott likes this.
  4. Eternal Silence

Eternal Silence Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have upgraded to windows 10 and well, it's pretty good so far. One thing to mention is that 4k on windows 10 is pretty laggy with the standard allocated amount of memory on the hd 4600, so i recommend you to upgrade the amount of allocated ram trough the bios to 512 mb to make it a TON smoother.

For the rest it works pretty smoothly.

One thing to mention tho. ux501jw has a hd 4600 and an iris pro variant, so if you got the iris pro variant then you won't need to upgrade the ram i guess

hmscott likes this.
  5. Biao

Biao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very interesting! I've updated the BIOS to 206, but I cannot see the NVMe configuration entry in the bios. My laptop is UX501VW-FI016T built 2015-12 and came with bios 203. Did you install SM951 after then you can see the NVMe configuration entry?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  6. JohnnyEM

JohnnyEM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Biao,

Our laptops are identical down to the manufacture date. There's no reason why mine works and yours would not work.

All I did was update the bios to 206. When I later got the SM951, I put it in and it was immediately recognized. Or , maybe, this just works for the SM951, not the 950 Pro yet.

7. link626

Reputations:
    is there a bios hack to make the keyboard brighter?

8. bisklimpkit

bisklimpkit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is this from standard usage? I'm using a 6 year old ASUS G51J-A1 and the only wear you can see on it is the raised points on the F and J keys being worn down to nothing. No hinge issues whatsoever...though I haven't looked much into the construction of the chassis.

9. link626

Reputations:
    anyone here able to connect 2 external monitors via thunderbolt and hdmi, and extend desktop to all 3 screens?

Someone who bought the g501 twin couldn't get all 3 screens to light up simultaneously.

I don't have a thunderbolt adapter, so I can't test this.

the asus product page says it can drive dual 4k externals.

10. Biao

Biao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks JohnnyEM. I've tried again this morning, but no luck!