Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Biao

Biao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 1080p and matte display didn't show on the specification of UX501VW. When I opened the box, I found my laptop equiped with matte display actually. I bought it from Australian ebay. You can check it out the website as follows:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Asus-Zen...M-4G-Win-10-/361253777405?hash=item541c672ffd
    http://www.shoppingexpress.com.au/buy/asus-zenbook-pro-ux501vw-15.6-uhd-4k-ultrabook/UX501VW-FI016T

2. abstein2

abstein2 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm having an issue with my UX501VW and multi-monitor support with HDMI and USB-C. When I use either independently, both work fine. When I use both though, all 3 monitors (the laptop screen and both external ones) flicker on and off.

Here's the real bizarre thing though, if my laptop's power unplugged and then I plug in both monitors, everything works perfectly. The second I plug the machine back in, everything goes haywire again.

Anyone have any ideas of what this could be or seen anything similar? I've tried updating all video drivers on the machine but that hasn't gotten me anywhere as far as I can tell.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  3. Kiril Barozov

Kiril Barozov Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow thats quite expensive! Meanwhile i am looking at 1499$ option in america with 4k screen... too bad i don't live there.I set my budget to 1500$ but in EU i can only find 1080p screens and low ssd storage for this price.. thats why i wanted to ask if the fhd screen is atleast any good. :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  4. khanis12

khanis12 Notebook Geek

Reputations:

If you can get over the gloss, the display is excellent! ive been using the FHD version for almost 1 year now. Runs butter smooth, 4 hr battery time (since its 4 cell battery) which is quite enough for my needs.

5. Kiril Barozov

Kiril Barozov Newbie

Reputations:
    Happy to hear that :) what do you use your laptop for mainly?

6. Tuckerzz

Tuckerzz Newbie

Reputations:
    Guess I can chip in on this too. Got the FHD JW version 3 weeks ago. Same as above, battery runs for about 4 hours because of the smaller battery. When on battery I am mostly on web browsing and adobe reader. When plugged in, I do run minor CFD simulations and a bit of gaming on it too (CS GO) It runs okay on simulations and great on CS GO. In regards to the screen, it is pretty decent, but don't keep high expectations on it. Coming from a Surface Pro 3 with it's 1440p screen, this screen is noticeably worse than that. However, glare is greatly reduced on the FHD version due to the matte screen too. But.. only getting this machine for $1000USD, I can't complain much!

Kiril Barozov likes this.
  7. khanis12

khanis12 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Playing games (plugged in), Photoshopping, illustrator, Video Editing (after effects, premiere), Excel, teamviewer. 4 hrs battery on light browsing and movie watching.

Kiril Barozov and hmscott like this.
  8. khanis12

khanis12 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I did however add a 128GB SATA SSD to my system. 1 TB is allocated for Data and Games, SSD is for OS and programs. I couldn't ask for a better configuration. The only issue is glossy screen for which i adjust the lighting.

Kiril Barozov and hmscott like this.
  9. Kiril Barozov

Kiril Barozov Newbie

Reputations:
    Where did you buy yours from? :) I've been looking for good online international stores but can't find anything else than amazon/ebay.

10. khanis12

khanis12 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I bought mine locally. Even though there werent many places.

Where are you located?