Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. veshe

veshe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you can tell me where to look for it I'll check on mine :)

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    On my last PC laptop with Thunderbolt, it was visible in the Device Manager, right click on the device -> Properties, and look at the Hardware details for hints.

Also, there was a Thunderbolt entry visible as a Programs and Features application installation - the app gave Thunderbolt details.

hwinfo64 has a detailed inventory drill down with lots of info as well, check there too.
    http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Maybe Asus has a system tool that will list it too?

Remember to check BIOS first to make sure Thunderbolt is enabled :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  3. Biao

Biao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Vasra,

I just received my UX501VW. Yes, it equipped with an non-touch UHD matte screen, 128G SSD, 1TB Hard disk, 4G 960M and 12G RAM. When I tryed installing a Samsung 950 Pro on it, it doesn't work. The SSD not listed on the BIOS. I've contacted Asus customer support, they confirmed this model can support PCIE SSD. But I can't figure it out at the moment. BTW, I am living in Australia.

4. Eternal Silence

Eternal Silence Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh yeah, i remember someone else having this problem in this thread.

From what i've heard is that zenbook pro's with a 2.5 inch hdd usually can't support pci-e ssd's but they can support sata ssd's

5. GabrielleCordero45

GabrielleCordero45 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello you guys, i have the UX501 matte version with a 1tb hdd and a smaller battery and i was wondering if it possible to upgrade the battery because its not exactly lasting me a long time. I know i have to change to the hdd to sdd but im also concerned about how i will be able to transfer all my files from the hdd to a sdd..as if nothing happened

6. DEFIANTLY

DEFIANTLY Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can't speak to the battery replacement (although I don't think that's possible), but if you buy a Samsung EVO SSD, it comes with software that clones your current hard drive to the new SSD. You'll just need a USB to SATA cable ($10 on amazon) to do the transfer. Once the cloning is done, simply swap out the drive and it'll be like nothing happened. ...except for a phenomenal increase in performance.

Example of cable: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SATA...=1458864651&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+to+sata+cable

hmscott likes this.
  7. GabrielleCordero45

GabrielleCordero45 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So i have no chance of upgrading my 4 cell battery to the 6 cell version found on most ux501? thanks for thelink btw

8. Eternal Silence

Eternal Silence Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why would you waste your hard drive if you could just insert a sata ssd into the m.2 slot? You'll get the best of both worlds

9. Tuckerzz

Tuckerzz Newbie

Reputations:
    This is quite a bummer. Like GabrielleCordero45 I was planning to upgrade the battery along with plug in a PCI-e SSD into my FHD model JW.

On another note, has anyone upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on the UX501JW? How is the performance so far? I am more concerned on the battery side of things. So far I've taken a few weeks of the machine running in Windows 8.1 and found the battery to be just about satisfactory. I.e. about 4 hours on average use.

10. Kiril Barozov

Kiril Barozov Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, i've been reading this tread for a while but i decided to ask you directly since i didnt find what i was looking for.
    1)If any of you has the UX501VW model with 1080p can you give us info about the display? (srgb/adobe coverage, response time, screen flicker etc.)
    2)I am looking at a FHD variant here in europe but the keyboard is AZERTY. Do you know where the original one is sold (QWERTY) or if if the keys are removable/switchable?
    3)I read about that matt UHD version of the UX501VW but i can't find it! if any of you has a link for EU seller id be thankful!
    4)Final question is where do you guys bought yours from? Only place in EU i've seen it on reasonablr price is in DE amazon and some spanish sites... I need a reliable online store with international shipping and i can't find such I am deffinitely going to buy the laptop and i am going to join the lounge to help other people who are considering this laptop! Thanks for the help!