Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by andex, Mar 14, 2015.

1. andex

andex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is simply a performance monster according to Asus. It has amazing features! The laptop is new and the information is very limited even though was supposed to be released this month.

Pros
    1. Ultrabook design with 4.5 Ibs or 2.06kgs and 20mm to 21 mm thickness.
    2. Nice screen and display for the size - 15.6inch screen with a 4K resolution of up to 3840 by 2160 pixels and an option of going down to 1980 by 1080 pixels FHD display.
    3. Screen adjusts brightness based on the environment light, just like smart phones.
    4. PCIe x4 SSD with storage capacity upto 512 GB and speed upto 1400 MB/Sec
    5. Intel core i7/i5 Quad Core processors not just slow dual core processor like most Ultrabooks!
    6. High end graphics - nVidia GTX Geforce GTX 960m with upto 4 GB Vram!
    7. Option of thuderbolt port - this seems to be just good option for the future, not for now really. I hope it doesn't end up being like firewire or eSATA.
    8. Option of touch and non-touch screen.
    9. Next-generation dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi, with speeds of up to 867Mbit/s

Cons
    1. Very big 96 Wh battery but only 6 hrs of operation. Competitors have an edge on this.
    2. Just 3 USB 3.0 ports which is small compared to its size.
    3. Uncertainty on the heat management and vents. It has two fans but it doesn't have vents on the side, back or bottom. Heat vents are just between screen hinges. I doubt how well it will work. User review is important here.
    4. Uses older Intel Haswell processor but might be upgraded to Broadwell after June.
    5. On board 4 GB or 8 GB RAM.

Price
    Some sites say it starts at 1500 USD. But considering older bothers, it might starts at 2000 US$.

Product page
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ZenBook_Pro_UX501/

Internal
    http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/asus-zenbook-pro-ux501-disassembly/

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. ChrisAtsin

ChrisAtsin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It has the exact same specs as the G501

3. andex

Reputations:
    This is interesting. So, why do they have two models just for the color lol Maybe to get all type of users! I don't like the red with blank mix, especially in the keyboard, really. However, it is a good alternative and the price hear is very reasonable for the spec! http://store.asus.com/us/category/A23719 My fear, for the gaming one, they might prioritize the performance than battery life.

4. ChrisAtsin

Reputations:
    If they have the exact same specs, battery life should be identical. I don't know how they could prioritize as both machines use Optimus.

5. andex

Reputations:
    By throttling the processor and graphics.

Just checked the spec of one of G501. http://store.asus.com/us/item/201503AM110000043/A23719

The battery of G501 is almost half the size of ux501. Plus, the weight is 2.27kgs. I don't what they have added.

On the UX501, they don't talk much about cooling technology and a matte screen.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  6. ChrisAtsin

Reputations:
    Even quad core processors operate at very low clocks at low load and both machines have the same processor, I dont think Asus can tweak that much. Also the dGPU is not used on battery unless you're playing a game so that should not affect battery either. They probably just make two because of the reason you said, different chassis. Not everyone wants a machine that says Republic of Gamers.

andex likes this.
  7. mockass

mockass Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I have a Gigabyte P34W V3 but this notebook is very tempting because I prefer its design. I bought the P34 fot 1500 € because it was the only lightweight gaming laptop with a 14" screen. It's not the best looking laptop but it looks fine to me. I don't know if I should prioritize design over performance but the UX501 looks very good (pretty similar to the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 I previously owned) and I'm thinking about getting it.

What do you think of the 960m ? Is it a good card for gaming ? My 970m is quite powerful an runs all my games in ultra at 40+ fps. How big is the gap between a 960m and a 970m ? Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  8. andex

Reputations:
    It seems 970m is much better. See http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970M-vs-GeForce-GTX-960M

9. kousuke

kousuke Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is lame...why is it shipping with a haswell CPU?

10. garmon

garmon Newbie

Reputations: