Asus Zenbook NX500

Discussion in 'Asus' started by [-Mac-], Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devenox

Devenox Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They are one of the best?
    Anyway, if this one supports touch, you will have a glossy panel anway

2. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No they aren't. If the screen isn't matte then it will be unusable in many cases no matter how good other specifications are. A strong backlight is no match to the sun and can even be overpowered by normal indoors lighting, good contrast doesn't help when there are mirror images and/or glare highlights and color precision will be lacking under real world conditions.
    I bought one of the first mainstream notebooks that was equipped with a glare screen and for a while thought it to be extremely good (the specs wasn't that good compared with todays screens though). When I began actually using it as a notebook then the troubles began, while using a glare notebook as a desktop replacement or using a glossy screen for a desktop system can be made to work okay (but it still isn't easy IME) using the computer in an environment where one haven't precise control of all light sources just creates a mess.

If this will only be delivered with a glossy screen I will simply not buy it just as I'll not buy an Apple computer with glare screens

3. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's definitely not a matte display. With the NX500 being a touch-enabled notebook, the panel most likely has a piece of Gorilla Glass 3 covering it. You can easily spot reflections of spotlights in the ceiling and of the keyboard area of the notebook itself in Eeevolution's and Notebook Italia's videos respectively. An older, French article covering the NX500 states that the display has been glare-proofed. Whether this means additional treatment, or if the information proves unreliable or misleading remains to be seen.

4. mr satan

mr satan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    any news about the specs or announcement date?

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005

5. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Aside from the announcement of it having won an iF design award, Asus haven't revealed anything new since Milano Design Week 2014 as far as I'm aware. I've seen two stores selling PSUs they claim are for the NX500, which, if accurate, would help set our expectations for the innards, but they mismatch at 65W and 90W, leading me to believe that these stores have used little more than images of the connector to determine that the PSUs they stock are compatible. The fact that the speakers incorporate a titanium film is news from the previously mentioned design award I believe.

6. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hope Asus have a non-touchscreen version of the machine. My current machine (UX51VZ) is matte but there's also a touch version with glare screen.

7. mr satan

mr satan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If it's true, I think it's a bad choice of asus, because in 2015 we'll see first broadwell laptop models. Since nx500 will not have (I presume) a broadwell processor, I think it'd be a wiser option from asus if they release their laptop earlier in 2014 than Christmas Time.
    What do you think guys?

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005

8. scorpio187

scorpio187 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Apparently they are going to release Broadwell just in time for the holiday season. Check this out: Exclusive: Intel CEO promises Broadwell PCs on shelves for holidays | Reuters

mr satan likes this.
  9. nlp

nlp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Announced at Computex:

15.6" 4K LCD with 100% NTSC & 108% Adobe RGB (touchscreen or not?)
    Core i7 (haswell or broadwell?)
    16GB RAM
    NVIDIA GTX 850M
    PCIe SSD
    19mm thick, 2.2kg
    96Wh Battery

No pricing or availability information.

Lets just hope quality control will be better than with Dell XPS 15.

10. Neoblazzer

Neoblazzer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.