ASUS Zenbook Infinity UX301LA - just announced at Computex

Discussion in 'Asus' started by droyder, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phil917

phil917 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure about Amazon but Adorama.com is now listing both the DH71T and XH72T models.

asus ux301 : Buy or Learn at Adorama

B&H is also listing the DH71T, looks like both of these companies just got a shipment.

asus ux301| B&H Photo Video

I'm about to buy one of those but I'm having trouble deciding whether I need the extra storage capacity in the 512 model. I feel like this is a good problem to have :)

2. sjw985

sjw985 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Folks,

Much to my shock and my wallet's horror, I found the DH71T at my local brick-and-mortar Microcenter tonight in Marietta, GA.

I did some quick inventory searching and it looks like they have at least one and sometimes up to 4 in stock at the local stores. You can also order online. Price is $1,999.99.

For those of you not familiar with Microcenter, it's a great chain. I've been buying from them since I first stumbled across their Philadelphia/St. Davids store in 1998.

3. phil917

Reputations:
    Microcenter is fantastic, I'm glad to hear they're selling this laptop. I'll have to check my local store tomorrow to see if they're stocking the DH71T.

4. joshmcx

joshmcx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Better, for sure. More key travel and a much better and more solid feel IMO than the Z. I also like the touchpad better on the UX301.

5. Mark_K

Mark_K Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The difference between the i7 and i5 is only $100.00?

6. phil917

Reputations:
    One trip to Micro Center and $2500 later, I'm now typing this comment using the DH71T version of the Infinity. I'll post a full review later but for now I'll just offer some initial impressions:

-So far almost everything about this laptop screams top notch quality. Up until now, I think the nicest Ultrabook I've held in my hands was the Samsung ATIV Book 9+. However the Infinity is just as good, if not better looks and build quality wise. You really have to hold this thing in your hands to get a sense for that, videos do not do this laptop justice.

-The keyboard is ALMOST perfect however there is one annoying thing I've come across in my limited use with this laptop. The backspace key, if you tap on the leftmost edge, does not register unless you hit it really hard. This has been admittedly annoying and I'm a little disappointed in this issue after the huge price I just paid for this thing but it's by no means a deal breaker. Aside from that the keyboard maintains the same level of build quality present on the rest of this laptop.

-The Trackpad is probably one of the best I've ever used on a Windows machine, definitely comparable to the trackpad of the MacBook Pro I use for work.
    -Speakers are surprisingly loud and good.
    -Screens is amazing.
    -Performance is fantastic so far.

That's it for now, I'll post some more detailed impressions and a review later.

7. sjw985

Reputations:
    phil917,

I updated all my software last night, upgraded to 8.1, and installed office 2013 and I've been writing year-end reviews (work stuff) all afternoon. I have hit the backspace key plenty of times and have not had the issue you're describing. You may have an unfortunate defect, hopefully one that could be easily corrected...

I agree with the rest of your assessments so far. I haven't bought a $2K laptop since near Y2K but so far I'm not regretting this purchase at all. This is my first Win8 machine, though, so there's a bit of a learning curve that otherwise wouldn't apply. Still, I'm learning my way around and picking up the navigation shortcuts well enough.

Gotta say I'm very happy overall with the keyboard. It feels very, very natural and it has just enough feedback to be really efficient.

Later this week I'll start doing to stuff that will tax the CPU... today is just light productivity work.

Regarding the display - while it's excellent, I did find I had to turn off the dynamic brightness setting. With that on,in low light conditions the display insisted on staying too dim to be comfortable given the high res and relatively inconsistent scaling. Small dim letter are hard to read... small bright letters are actually pleasant. :)

No atypical stutters or pausing to report.

Oh for those who want to upgrade all the software out of the gate - budget 2-3 hours for the process. You have to download something like 74 windows updates on 8.0 before you can upgrade to 8.1, which is a 3GB download in itself.

More props to Micro Center for getting these puppies in stock. Guess they're becoming more than just The place to buy BYOPC components.

8. marcv123

marcv123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could any of you new owners of the i7 version answer this please?

Can you comment on heat and noise when playing games? I know that this is not for hardcore gaming, but for playing World of Warcraft, Skyrm, and others on decent settings, how hot and loud is it? Would it be a distraction if someone were watching TV in the same room? Thanks.

On another note, does anyone know if the places that stock this typically have Black Friday / cyber Monday specials? I'd hate to buy it this week and see a big sale next week!

9. sjw985

Reputations:
    I ran 3DMark earlier today just for fun and the fan was a very quiet whoosh that most certainly wouldn't be a distraction. It would probably be completely ignored.

10. phil917

Reputations:
    Ok quick update on the backspace key not being registered issue. After seeing sjw985's reply, I decided to take off and re-seat the key. This seems to have almost completely fixed my issue. I say almost completely because I actually notice it now a very tiny little bit on the right edge of the key, but honestly it only happens if I go out of my way to reproduce the issue (i.e. delicately pressing the rightmost edge very slowly ), in normal typing the backspace key now always depresses in the manner I expect it to.

Micro Center does have a policy of letting me swap for a new replacement if there are issues with this one within the first 30 days, so I'll have to consider whether this now nearly imperceptible issue is worth getting a replacement for.

Aside from that however, this laptop continues to wow and impress although at this point I haven't done much besides browse the web and install Windows 8.1 (which makes the touchpad even better and more responsive imo). I'm curious to see how the Infinity will handle some programming and light gaming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.