ASUS Zenbook concerns and alternatives for music production??

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Anynamewilldo, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anynamewilldo

Anynamewilldo Newbie

Reputations:
    I was hoping any of you could help me out with this... I need a new laptop that will be used for music production and DJ'ing so it will need to withstand heavy processing without lag. I use a program called Ableton for production and can become quite heavy with plug-ins. So I believe I should lean towards an i7 processor and 12 Gb of RAM for this reason.

I have a friend who is into computers and works with them and he recommended an Asus Zenbook to me because he knows I'd ideally like to stay in Windows. The reason being that I have many things purchased that I use for music production and I have the windows version of them already.

The Zenbook looks amazing. But I'm concerned about the color issues on it and the fact that it runs hot under load and the air is blown onto the screen. Other than that it seems great, I love the design and that I can get it pretty beefy. But I'm also looking for any advice or alternatives before I commit and drop $1400 on this particular laptop. I do know a lot of producers and DJ's use MacBooks and such, and I'm not 100% anti looking into those, but I do prefer Windows because I am used to it already and have many Windows version plugins etc etc.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this? Other brands and models to look into? Or are my concerns about the Zenbook silly and I should go along with this original idea? Just realized I didn't mention; specifically I had been looking at the 303LN, i7 processor, 256GB SSD, 12 Gb ram...

Thanks!

2. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Get thee a business class laptop with the features you need, and the reliability you must have and ruggedness you need for live performance use and DAW duty. The Lenovo ThinkPad, the HP EliteBooks, and ZBook line, the Dell Latitude and Precisions are good candidates for possible laptops here.

3. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Im with Kent. every one of our audio teams at work use Precisions and Elitebooks. we have a couple of our audio editors who Moonlight as Dj's as well. one runs a Toughbook for when club goers dump drinks in his laptop and because his venues tend to have a high ambient temp, the other runs an Older Elitebook P series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.