ASUS Zenbook 13 UX325 - 2020 Model

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes not many options in the windows power plans. The TDP is controlled through the MyAsus app.....setting it to perfomance mode there will increase the TDP a little, but in a laptop so thin, it will likely thermal throttle anyway negating much of any performance gain over the standard mode.

2. Saotome79

Saotome79 Newbie

Reputations:
    At least Performance Mode gives free reins to the fan, so I guess that's something.

From what I've read from the various reviews, the AMD version seems to have 72-75ish degrees as the set temperature where throttling starts, as opposed to the 65ish degrees of the Intel version. 7-10 degrees of margin is quite a bit of difference in terms of performance, and surely the aluminium bottom plate of AMD version won't cook the user's legs any less than the Intel version...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    The AMD chip obviously destroys the 4 core intel but for my needs, intel is ok and the integrated graphics has superior performance over the AMD model. In a couple of weeks I will get around to repasting and I will post results of before and after.

Saotome79 likes this.
  4. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    I don't why I thought the performance mode in the Fan Profile in MyAsus App increased the TDP, because I just tested it and it does not. PL1 is 25W and PL2 is 42W. I think I read that it increases PL1 in a review of a similar model somewhere.

5. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Whisper Mode decreases PL1 to 11W or so.

6. Saotome79

Saotome79 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'd be fine with that (after all is just 3W less than the hard PL1 cap). The problem is, at least on mine, that as soon as temperatures go above 65C it reduces it further and stabilises around 17-18W after about 5 minutes.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. Saotome79

Saotome79 Newbie

Reputations:
    I had previously modified the bottom cover of my Gigabyte p34g by cutting two circular holes in correspondence with the two fans and as wide as the fans, and gluing two 5cm flattened speaker grids in order to increase the air inflow, which helped lower the temperatures. I wanted to do the same (of course only for the one fan of the UX325) with the zenbook (even more necessary given I cannot undervolt it), but I didn't want to void the warranty already. Thing, is, I found a spare bottom lid for about 24 euros, and when I receive it and I have a bit of time I will mod it and replace the original one with it. Will keep you updated on how it works.

P.S. Have you been able to make any use of the .icc color profiles that are installed with the Asus MySplendid? They seem not to change anything at all, either by installing them with the Asus utility, or by installing them manually with Windows Color Management (I tried them also with my old Samsung Galaxy Book, and they do nothing there as well).
    P.P.S. Just to be clear, I can use any other .icc profile without any problems. It's just the ones from the Asus MySplendid that do nothing.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Let us know how the mod goes....intertesting.

9. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    as far as splendid, it was working, with vivid being a bit oversaturated for my tastye and eye care acting like a blue light filter, which windows already has included. I didn't have any use for it, just kept the setting on standard. True2Life is kind of interesting, I was turning it on and off trying to decide what I prefer, still undecided.
    However, now that you asked about this I went into the MyAsus app and the splendid options disappeared, perhaps it was an myasus app update that did that. I will redownload splendid profiles to check.

Saotome79 likes this.
  10. Saotome79

Saotome79 Newbie

Reputations:
    Actually, my Splendid options are working fine after simply installing the MyAsus app (I have Normal, Intense, Manual and Eye Care options). What I meant is that among the drivers and utilities for this model on the Asus wesbsite there is a "MyASUS_Splendid" which says to "install ICC profile to support MyASUS Splendid and Tru2Life feature". Now, if I install it, it installs an icc profile into Windows Color Management, only that profile doesn't appear to do anything at all. The utility also copies a bunch of other icc perfiles into your C:\DRIVERS\MyASUS_Splendid\, but none of them appears to do anything either (tried them on other computers as well, but nothing). I opened the perfiles with DisplayCal to see if there was something missing, but they all have their specific color space and color correction curves, so they should do something, but they don´t.