Asus Zen-Book

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by TravisBean, Dec 15, 2020.

1. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-z...ti-max-q-1tb-ssd-grey/6436221.p?skuId=6436221
    Been shopping around for a new laptop because the old one is about to die. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this, it's got a 4K touch screen, a decent graphics card, and the newest generation i7 CPU based on the newer (11th gen chip) 10-nanometer manufacturing process. Overall about a 35% faster chip than the previous generation of equivalent quad-core chip. What do you guys think? I'm really trying not to go too much over $1,000 and that's hard to do if you want a touch screen 4K OLED display.
    1) What is your budget?
    $1000 to $1550

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Asus Lenovo HP
    b. Dislike:Not really except some of Lenovo's Cheap stuff
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    no

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    4k Video editing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    both
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) no

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    not important

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Would like to see it unless from a trusted brand that I'm already familiar with.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    4k touch screen- gotta have

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) no preference

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not really

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? not too important

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Currently

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 5 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? 2 weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    option b, don't need on-site service

I need a 15-inch laptop with a 4K touchscreen/i7 and a decent graphics card that will be at least halfway decent at editing 4K video. I am seriously considering this ASUS ($1149) because it is well under $2,000. Most other 4K touchscreen laptops are going for about $2k. The 15 inch HP Spectre with a decent graphics card it's about two grand, and the Dell XPS 15 with 4K touchscreen is also about two grand.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't know anything about the Asus, but it sees to offer good bang for the buck. You might want to poke around the Asus forum to see what the owners of the notebook are saying about it. When you go for the lower priced option whether it be a notebook, a car, clothing item, etc., it can sometimes suffer in other areas that are not readily apparent, like support or build quality because the price point doesn't allow for those things to be at their best. You might want to look in the Dell Outlet for an XPS 15. They start around $1,500 with 4K touch screen, but with the right coupon, might fall into into your budget.

3. TravisBean

Reputations:
    Thanks. I did go to BB today to look at the Asus, and the build quality is outstanding.
    It also has an outstanding trackpad, better than most that I've tried and the OLED screen is beautiful. The keyboard is a little bit mushy in comparison with the HP Spectre but not so much so that outweighs the positives. I'm assuming that the 11th generation i7, although only a quad-core, is just about on par with the 10th Generation 6 core I7's.

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Having done reviews, build quality/durability can be difficult to judge from a short visit, but if you like it, you should consider it.

5. TravisBean

Reputations:
    For what it's worth it did have some stickers on it claiming military-grade durability. I don't how true that is, but the build quality certainly did seem up there on par with the HP Spectre and the Lenovo Yoga series. (not quite as stylish as the Spectre)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  6. TravisBean

Reputations:
  7. TravisBean

Reputations:
  8. TravisBean

Reputations:
    Okay got my Asus flip 15 the other day. This computer is freaking amazing. It boots up nearly instantaneously. Pages on the internet also load incredibly fast. When using internet download manager the rebuild file times are remarkably fast. The 4K OLED screen is amazing. When you zoom in on print or just about anything it loses no clarity or sharpness whatsoever. It runs cool and the build quality is super strong. They claim military-grade durability and I wouldn't be surprised if that's not an exaggeration. The trackpad is smooth as glass and very accurate. At $1149 interest-free 18 months payments this laptop was a no-brainer. The price is now back up to $1449, and I would give a big thumbs-up to anybody that decides to purchase this laptop if it ever goes back on sale for $1,149.

kojack and Charles P. Jefferies like this.
  9. TravisBean

Reputations:
    I see that there is so much interest in this thread that I can't even get a post in edgewise. :rolleyes: