ASUS X750J opened to replace parts

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ITdmax, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ITdmax

ITdmax Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello to all!
    I'm new to this forum and I want to share how I open my new ASUS X750JB since I couldn't find any info on net about it. I contacted Asus, but no help from them. Asus doesn't want to give any instructions on how to open laptop with excuse that is "design secret". I also ask them how to replace battery and they told me to bring it to service :)

So, lets begin. There are 12 screws on back laptop panel. When you unscrew them it happens - nothing! Since, I didn't have any idea how it looks inside and what could hold back plate and front part together I tried to find hidden screws, some latches or something. One try was with card to stick between to plates. I tried it in back corner from DVD side. I opened DVD door and tried from there to stick it between two plates, so to scratches become minimal if happen. This didn't look good, since top (aluminum) plate start to bend more then it look it can sustain without bent or brake, so I give up on that on.
    After 10 days arrived and my new SSD that I want to use in place of one HDD, so I start to losing patient. I got to point that I had to open it somehow even with some scratches/dent/bent. I doubt that there are hidden screws, and tried something that actually give me results:

4 screws close to front side of laptop are smaller then rest of 8 screws. I used one of this longer screws and insert it into front hole (for small screw) and tight up. When it reached end I screw it more and I noticed that front plate slightly separate from back plate. I screwed it more until it separate enough to insert plastic phone card between two plates. I screw up 3 more screws in rest of front (small) holes and then how I tight them up I moved card toward them and then small plastic latches start lousing and plates slowly begun to separate. From then I could move with card ti sides and latches opens there easily. Back side was little difficult. I raise up and down top plate and it finally everything separate.
    Basically except 12 screws there is a lot of small latches all around plates. Everything is connected to bottom (plastic) plate (monitor too) and there is just keyboard connected to top (aluminum) plate.

On these 2 pictures, you can see start point witch I manage to make:

20012014136.JPG 20012014138.JPG

Watch out on these 3 cables that connect power button, keyboard and mouse pad attached on top plate with motherboard on bottom plate:

20012014124.jpg

Here is picture from laptop when removed top plate. I circled in red some of latches that I could recognize from picture. Latches are placed evenly all across housing (note: I didn't mark them all, not even half of them). You can see first HDD on right side (C and D drive with OS). Second HDD is below motherboard and you can't see it. Location of both is marked in blue.

20012014126.jpg

This is top plate from bottom side:

20012014130.jpg

Here is motherboard lifted and you can see second HDD:

21012014149.jpg

2. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Of course they didn't explain! They don't want you risking your warranty and they don't want to be held accountable should they give you instructions and something goes wrong. Just about every OEM abides by the same philosophy.

This is still a good guide and I'm sure many users will appreciate the effort you put into it. :)

3. ITdmax

ITdmax Newbie

Reputations:
    To explain process in more details now:

To disconnect keyboard, move forward to withe latches by sides of connector and then you can pull out ribbon cable. I noticed on left picture that I didn't properly (fully) insert ribbon cable in connector (see right side of connector)

3.jpg 4.jpg

To disconnect power button and touch pad lift up black latch and then you can pull out ribbon cable:

1.jpg

Now is disconnected top plate and can be removed. There is several screws that has to be removed from motherboard. I circled those that I could remember (don't curse me for those that I forgot :) One screw is below black label in left corner.
    I didn't want to disconnect contact that connects monitor (blue), because it looks more sensitive and I didn't want to have problem later on because of loose connection. I just free out monitor cable that is attached to latches around fan.
    Also, rest of cables that connect to motherboard (green) has to be disconnected.

20012014131.jpg

These connectors (red) has to be pulled out and wireless antenna connectors (blue) has to be lift up to detach.

21012014144.jpg 21012014145.jpg

4. ITdmax

ITdmax Newbie

Reputations:
    Yea, that is exactly that they mention: warranty

I told them that I want to replace battery. After several emails I told them that I found in user manual on page 30. following: "European Union Eco-label" and then under
    point 5: "Designed for easy upgrades and longer lifetime through providing
    compatible pare parts such as batteries, power supplies, the keyboard, the memory,
    and if available the CD drive or DVD drive."

So, I was wonder what it mean easy replace of battery if you need to bring it to service...

5. ITdmax

ITdmax Newbie

Reputations:
    Just to mention and re-image process that I used.
    This laptops has 2 HDD. Imaging process is therefore easier and doesn't require any additional hardware (e.g. USB to SATA cable)
    I replaced HDD that is below motherboard. Another one (on right side) has OS as well restore partitions on it and I want to save it for later use in case that I need to restore original OS again. I took Samsung SSD and it coming with data migration software. So, when I insert new SSD and still have on right side original HDD, I normally started laptop and then data migration software. Software copied C partition to SDD and than I shut down laptop.
    Now, I have usable C partition for boot up Windows on my new SSD, so I remove HDD from right side that contain OS and insert another one that was below motherboard. I didn't have to change anything in BIOS, since it immediately boot up from new SSD. So, when you find the way to open laptop, rest is easy :)
    HDD that is left (witch contain OS and restore partition) I using now in another computer. I pertain all partitions except original C and D (there is several of them), so in case that I need to restore my laptop, I still can insert it in laptop and restore to original state and repeat process of data migration to SSD. Only to note that for restore you need both original HDD's in laptop. I tried to restore with SSD and HDD but it complained that is "missing partition", however when I put original HDD instead of SSD (previously I deleted all partitions from it) it restored normally. So, it means it doesn't really need all original partitions but rather original HDD. This I mentioned for those that want to delete 2 partitions (E and F) and create just one, so they can do it without problem.

21012014148.jpg

6. ITdmax

ITdmax Newbie

Reputations:
    Cosmetics issue:

I have to mention that this opening technique leaved 4 small bumps my laptop. It is hardly noticed, but still can be noticed. I show what holds together upper plate and housing (back plate), but you should consider to improve method bu trying more non invasive approach. My suggestion would be to try with plastic card from top-right corner. Open DVD and start from there. I started as well from that side, but I wasn't sure at time that there is no additional screws, so I didn't want to push too hard.

Here is picture of 2 dents. Lights make it looks worse. Most people didn't see it until I told them :)

20012014125.JPG

7. grexe

grexe Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same laptop and it took me some effort to find this very useful guide, thanks a lot!
    For the opening process, there's also a good tutorial on youTube which is for another model, but can be easily applied to this one.

What I don't get is WHY on earth didn't they install the system HDD in the secret and hardly reachable location under the motherboard, to leave the second slot empty for easier SSD-upgrade??? ASUS this would have been a no-brainer, but nooo.... so I have a lot more work than was really necessary.

At least they use a Samsung HDD, which is really good and fits well with my new Samsung EVO 640 SSD:)

8. grexe

grexe Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same laptop and it took me some effort to find this very useful guide, thanks a lot!
    For the opening process, there's also a good tutorial on youTube which is for another model, but can be easily applied to this one.

What I don't get is WHY on earth didn't they install the system HDD in the secret and hardly reachable location under the motherboard, to leave the second slot empty for easier SSD-upgrade??? ASUS this would have been a no-brainer, but nooo.... so I have a lot more work than was really necessary.

At least they use a Samsung HDD, which is really good and fits well with my new Samsung EVO 640 SSD:)

9. grexe

grexe Newbie

Reputations:
    PS: ok just to do Asus no wrong, I think it absolutely makes sense to put the HDD separate from the motherboard for heat reasons, so to spread the heat more eavenly across the surface. Inserting the SSD in the mobo slot is then the better option, since it doesn't move and doesn't get hot...

10. ITdmax

ITdmax Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree that there is more elegant (and not so destructive) way to open this laptop. Now, when is seen how it looks inside, solutions from similar closed laptops can be applied. It was painful trying to open it and making sure to not brake it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.