Asus vs Sager (clevo)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by antonydizzz, Jun 10, 2018.

1. antonydizzz

antonydizzz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello my friends,
    I'm trying to chose a gaming laptop and got into an unclear situation.
    There are 2 laptops which configurations I like.

the firest one:
    Sager NP9175
    8700K/16gb 2400mhz/500ssd/1tb hdd/gtx1070/17.3" 144hz g-sync/Killer 1550 wifi
    or Sager NP9877 (Clevo P870TM)

the second:
    Asus G703 chimera
    8750h/32gb 2666mhz/970evo 500gb/1tb hdd/gtx1070/Intel9560/17.3" 144hz g-sync

Which model is more appropriate for long game sessions ( I know that all reviews ob the internet were made for the short period of testing time and don't let me estimate the real temps of cores and graphics).
    Will the processors or graphs throttle ?

Which one of these two is better for gaming ?

Is there some alternatives from other models but similar configuration.
    Thank you guys so much in advance!

2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Sager has more rawr performance, however the support is bad and the notebook requires some modding to be acceptable.
    The Chimera has a weaker CPU, it won't really do any difference in terms of gaming, since a GTX 1070 doesn't really stress out the CPU of that caliber enough to make the difference.

I would go with a GT75 or Acer predator Helios 500, if you had to choose between those 2 listen above, I would go for the Asus, simply because it's overall equipment is superior despite having worse performance.

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I love Asus desktop parts, but would not recommend an Asus laptop to anyone. Asus support has a long history of being horrible for notebook owners. I haven't had any issues with support on my Clevos. I am sure that is partly because HIDevolution is amazing. One thing that is for certain, you will mainly only see and hear the worst horror stories about tech support nightmares in a forum like this. Dell used to have the best technical support, but there have always been TONS of horror stories. The worst support I have ever experienced has been from HP. Not saying they are the worst there is, but the worst I have personally experienced. Bad enough that I refuse to ever purchase anything from HP ever again for the rest of my life.

Look around in the forums and compare how much drama there is for the Asus owners and then see how many P870 owners you can find that are unhappy. It is comparatively rare to find any unhappy P870 owners. The people that buy them appreciate the size, performance, quality, all of which are unmatched. A few people hate the keyboard. I like the keyboard... Nothing wrong with it. You will find something to hate about any product because nothing is perfect. For example, real performance enthusiasts despise BGA trash books. No features that any "high performance" BGA machine offers will never make it an acceptable product to the purist, because that is an unacceptable and uncorrectable flaw that is unredeemable and unforgivable.

Whether or not you end up liking or hating whatever you buy will depend on you, what your expectations are, and the accuaracy of the advice you choose to listen to. The only thing you can count on enjoying about skipping the P870TM and choosing a lesser product will be the bliss of ignorance that comes from avoiding it.

raz8020 and Ultra Male like this.
  5. Quadron

Quadron Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd pick the Clevo p870 hands down if you value CPU performance. Certain games like PUBG will have significantly improved performance. There are people who love and hate various brands. If you go with the Clevo, make sure you buy from a good OEM like HIDEvolution or Eurocom, etc... Because support is up to OEM, not Clevo.

If on the other hand you want to go with a laptop with i7-8750h, I'd recommend going for something more portable with upgraded cooling to prevent throttling since you don't need a 2 inch behemoth to cool one of those laptops.

Either way, the full 8700k will wipe the floor with any laptop processor except the i9-8950hk and Ryzen laptops, which it still beats out for long form processor and real world performance, especially if you get the 8700k with delid, upgrade cooling, and apply a slight overclock.

raz8020, Mr. Fox and Ultra Male like this.
  6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    If you wanna go with a Clevo laptop, either get it from a Prema Partner like HIDevolution or don't! HIDevolution Clevo Machines AKA EVOC brand have the Prema BIOS which prevents the laptop from throttling and gives you a myriad of options to tweak it in the BIOS, I will mention the Prema BIOS Benefits below.

In addition, HIDevolution have their own in-house mods like CPU Delidding which brings the CPU temps down anywhere between 10 and 20 C which is a MUST on laptops that sport a desktop class CPU otherwise you are setting yourself up for disappointment, heat, and throttling.

Email donald@hidevolution.com with the configuration that you want so you can get the NBR Forum discount.

EVOC High Performance Systems P870TM1 17.3" Custom Built VR Ready Gaming Laptop w/ 1x or 2x GTX 1080

or a cheaper option:

EVOC High Performance Systems P775TM1 17.3" Custom Built Gaming Laptop w/ nVIDIA GTX 1060, 1070 or 1080

Benefits of Prema BIOS:

• Restores user ability to overclock or underclock the CPU
    • Restores user control over CPU power settings (voltage, watts, amps) for optimal performance and/or thermal efficiency
    • Restores ability to control non-turbo CPU core ratio
    • Restores ability to control CPU c-states and p-states
    • Restores ability to control BCLK (northbridge) and FCLK (System Agent) frequency
    • Restores ability to enable Intel Speed Shift Technology functionality
    • Restores ability to disable Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) functionality which is intended for software developers who want to use that feature and causes erratic system behavior
    • Restores ability to control RSR, Watchdog Timer, ASPM, ACPI sleep and hibernation functionality
    • Restores ability to control RAM timings, clock speeds and enables the utilization of XMP profiles
    • Restores ability to control selection of Legacy, UEFI and CSM to install whatever operating system is desired
    • Restores ability to control CPU-based DEP, AES (encryption) and Virtualization
    • Restores ability to control GPU scaling, PCIe speed and power management features
    • Restores control over Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 configuration
    • Restores control over SATA port configuration and Intel LPM. Having the ability to disable drive ports allows exclusive control over what drive receives the BCD/boot sector, system and recovery partitions during Windows Setup and eliminates the need to physically remove non-OS drives when installing a new OS.

Alternatively, you can get the same laptop which I got:

Custom Built MSI GT75 8RG TITAN-094 17.3" w/ G-Sync nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

See my review here:
    MSI GT75 TITAN 8RG-094 Review by Phoenix

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Nauzhror

Nauzhror Notebook Guru

Reputations:

This seems exaggerated. Is the 8700k better than a 8750h? Sure. They are however both great processors. I highly, highly, doubt you would ever tell the difference between the two playing PUBG. The 8700K is about 20% faster on multi-threaded benchmarks. That's really not that significant.

Wprime 2.0x 1024m results

8700K 118.8 seconds
    8750H 142.9 seconds
    7700HQ: 225.7 seconds
    7700K 173.1 seconds

8750H performs closer to a 8700K than to a 7700K.

8. Quadron

Quadron Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I understand where you're coming from, but I'm a hard core PUGB player with like 600 hrs in it and have benchmarked it across about 9 systems now. Rural areas away from cities are GPU bound, but when you're in cities the 8750 will bottleneck fps down to 60-70 fps, while the 8700k will be able to maintain much higher clocks, especially if you buy delidded with LM upgrade and OC it to be 4.5 stable. It'll only throttle to 85+ fps, which is more acceptable for competitive play if you're trying for max performance like I shoot for. Many people will be satisfied with 60-70 fps dips, but not me. PUGB is a surprisingly CPU bound game.

I also want to add that in rural areas both gaming systems would be hitting 144 FPS when GPU bound.

Here's my benchmark list. One thing to note is that the City benchmark is done with an overview of the city. Performance does drop a bit more when you get inside the middle of the city itself, but its pretty close to actual min performance drops: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I666RUisMZwQOFyw_AGhPt6-ZMzPvkKI2oEga1lQW8A/edit#gid=0

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    raz8020 likes this.
  9. soulvengeance

soulvengeance Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Asus has terrible support, it's possible they've changed since I've dealt with them, but I wouldn't ever buy nor recommend an Asus to anyone. The keyboard on the Sager is not great for gaming, but it's passable for typing. Just use a usb keyboard instead.

raz8020 likes this.