ASUS VivoBook X202E / S200E / Q200E Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by DanielNTX, Jan 9, 2013.

1. m1ko

m1ko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wouldn't trust that Samsung 840, since it's known for speed degradation issues. Or Samsung for that matter. I'd suggest you to look for a nice SanDisk drive with 10 year warranty (!).

The slow tabs indeed are a RAM issue, and a chrome issue.
    I suggest you to use a smarter, more free browser: qupzilla, it uses a different "engine" from usual Firefox. If you don't like qupzilla, try looking into Palemoon.

2. vladimir_625

vladimir_625 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cool. Thanks for the info. Any chance of a link or product name for something that might be better? The samsung SSD was just the first thing that came up on amazon that didn't have crap reviews.

3. vladimir_625

Reputations:
    Also this is a strange one, but I think I want to try windows 7 on my vivobook? Any pros/cons to this? and how do I go about doing it? I suppose that legally it would cost me a pretty penny, right?
    For reference, I do have a laptop with windows 7 on it, can I clone that laptop's drive and put it into my vivobook? Will this be illegal?

4. vladimir_625

Reputations:
    I installed qupzilla and it crashed my computer every time I tried to run it. So yeah, thanks for that...

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I use a pair of 850 evo drives in my machine and it performs very well. OEM versions of windows images need bios support so it will de-activate if your bios does not have a valid key.

vladimir_625 likes this.
  6. vladimir_625

Reputations:
  7. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    vladimir_625 likes this.
  8. vladimir_625

Reputations:
    Thanks for confirming that.

Now, would someone please give me some pointers on how I can do a fresh install of windows 8 on the system for when I do the HDD swap to an SSD? Should I do a fresh install on the machine as it is and then clone the drive, or?
    All help much appreciated.
    Cheers.

9. vladimir_625

Reputations:
    Also, what else do I need to buy along with that SSD to make the upgrade possible? Do I need a HDD (SATA) caddy so I can connect through USB? Cheers.

10. vladimir_625

Reputations:
    Hey all. So I took the plunge and I migrated to an SSD (850 EVO from Samsung). Works like a dream and the speed improvement is VERY apparent. I am really happy with it. The migration was a little bit hairy at first, with the SSD not being recognised by the cloning software (samsung) at first. I thought it was because it was in a caddy. There was a thread online that suggested that a caddy will stop the SSD from being recognised and a SATA-USB adapter should be used instead. For some reason though, at one point the SSD was recognised by Samsung Migrate and the migration worked.

The opening of the S200E was easy enough and the swap was straightforward. As I say it works very well and wakes up from sleep extremely quickly, which was my main gripe in the past.

I do have a little problem. I wiped my HDD completely before I cloned it, and hence I am running a fresh windows 8 install on the SSD. I want to get windows 8.1, but windows is telling me that I need to apply some security updates first. The problem is - there are loads of updates and the computer gets stuck in the middle (I gave it about 2 hours on the first attempt to install them). What can be done about this? Is there something I might be doing wrong?

Also - when it comes to windows 10, is this advisable? Is it a big improvement? If so, how do I speed up the process of getting windows 10? Or do I just wait for it?