ASUS VivoBook X202E / S200E / Q200E Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by DanielNTX, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qaplus

qaplus Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Lexxon. Works beatifully.

2. Skid1987

Skid1987 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have recently bought a s200e and after installing a windows
    Upgrade once I start up the book, after the sign in
    All I get is a grey screen with no image. Is this a
    Common fault? Anyone else experienced this?

3. cz9h3d

cz9h3d Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    New owner here with an S200e from the Staples deal. Nice little machine. Hopefully this thread will grow.

I have a 250GB Samsung SSD on it's way, so I'm interested in the most efficient way to get that loaded and installed.

My WiFi has been flaky sometimes, dropping my home connection - so I may have to look into a more reliable card to.

4. Midtowner

Midtowner Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought the S200E from staples this weekend and was generally impressed. I tried out surfing the web, watching videos from wireless NAS, and light office work and it seems decently cut out for these. However, it gave the impression of struggling on some graphic-heavy web pages, and launching programs is noticeably slow.

Here are some questions for the group:
    1. Can anyone share what wireless throughputs they are getting on the local network via wifi, say for copying 1+ GB files? I'm getting 4.5 megabytes/sec from both my gigabit nas and a linux media server.

2. It has been noted the X202e has 2 antennas but the S200e only one. This rules out a 5 ghz upgrade. However antennas can be purchased online. Any thoughts on wiring in your own antennas? From someone who has had this open, do the antennas route into the screen, where they are shielded by metal anyway? (I'm loathe to open it up while still in return period)

3. What are app load times like after SSD installation?

5. cz9h3d

cz9h3d Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    LOL - I came here to specifically ask the antenna question. And I also have a Samsung 840 250gb SSD on its way.

I'm fine with my wireless performance, but it has flaked out on me a few times - often enough to not be something random. Loses connection, then shows no networks whatsoever. Eventually it comes back, or a reboot fixes it. So I'm wondering if I need to upgrade the card to something better/more reliable. If I go dual band (which I probably don't care about), do I then need to route an antenna too for 5GHz? Makes me wish I had the X202e instead with its dual band card . (vs. the DVD burner with this one).

6. rickybscs

rickybscs Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

Im having the same 225 error, I think my partition table is corrupt, maybe due to a failing disk. Im trying to recover my data using a linux live cd and testdisk. Im wondering if someone can post the factory partition details for the q200e. Partitions types and starting and ending blocks so that I can rebuild the partition table with minimal data loss. I dont need to be able to boot inot it, just ant to recover my data.

Thank You!

7. zamardii12

zamardii12 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everybody. First time poster, and I just bought my X200E from Staples with the included external DVDRW drive. With that being said, I had a few questions, namely about accessories such as cases and bags and such where size has to be taken into consideration considering the size of this thing.

I noticed that while using the Vivobook that it can get warm in bed. Any suggestions for a good lap desk that is not too pricey and small enougg for just the Vivobook? All the ones I find are way too big and are made for 15.6" and up laptops.

Cases. I am in school, so what I was thinking was getting a sleeve that fits the laptop that is nicely padded but not too thick either and stick it into my backpack... like a Swissgear backpack or something. Any suggestions for maybe a nice sleeve, or small bag? I had a SOLO brand case for a old netbook I used to own which fit the netbook, external dvd drive, and power cord perfectly. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Technical questions...

1. Is the X200E considered a netbook? With it's specs rivaling even your basic 15.6" laptops it's hard for me to call it a netbook, but the size of it is about the size of my old Aspire One netbook.

2. Anyone have problems with the power saving options? Everytime I would select Power Saver, or Balanced the computer would automatically select High Performance. I uninstalled the Power4Gear software and it kept happening. Was really annoying so ended up reinstalling Power4Gearand am now just using the Power Options related to Power4Gear instead like "Power4Gear Battery Saver," and Power4Gear Balanced." Any way to stop this? It's really annoying.

3. I heard that there was a possible update for the Vivobook which ends up throttling back the CPU to 1.3GHz so I am hesitant to apply any updates. Any thoughts on that and/or suggestions or tweaks to improve performance? I am wanting a SSD really bad.

Thanks for any additional info or comments!!!

8. Music_Ian

Music_Ian Newbie

Reputations:
    Also a first-time poster. I am having the same problem with my power plans. I can only use the Power4Gear High Performance or the standard High Performance profiles. Any other one (including the Power4Gear Battery Saver plan) will immediately make it change to the standard Windows 8 High Performance plan. I've seen a couple other posts on other website forums from people with Asus touch-screen laptops having the same problem, which makes me think it's a driver issue on their side.. I'm really hoping it gets fixed soon. If anybody has any advice I'd love to hear it.

PS I bought mine on Amazon and got a sleeve with it, it's a $12 Case Logic sleeve for 11.6' laptops/netbooks. The Asus vivobooks are slightly wider and slightly shorter so it doesn't fit perfectly, but it does feel like it protects it well. However, it has no pockets.

9. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    Just purchased the Q202E today at Bestbuy for $399.

So far so good, very satisfied.

10. Jonesferd

Jonesferd Newbie

Reputations:
    Is anyone else having problems with the touch pad? It will lock up while using a program, it wont let me click anything, yet the mouse wont disappear, but I won't be able to click next or scroll. I have to close the window from the toolbar and restart the program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.