ASUS VivoBook X202E / S200E / Q200E Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by DanielNTX, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gloomie

Gloomie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'll post the results when I just find the time to get it done...I can abuse a local workshop for that but I just need to find the time.

I think I messed up the model number on my post, mine is S200E as well (not S202...).

As you say for most tasks you don't even notice the throttling, but if you try even light gaming the throttling will make you go mad. Otherwise this little laptop should handle some gaming too with the HD4000 GPU :)

2. m715

m715 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep, not even an attempt at gaming for me on this laptop...
    Strictly school work and general day to day tasks and for that it has been very good.
    The size is great, I don't know if I ever could go back to a full size laptop after this one...

knarf802 likes this.
  3. DellBoyMaybe

DellBoyMaybe Newbie

Reputations:
  4. argo713

argo713 Newbie

Reputations:
    Like some of the previous posts I am also trying to locate a replacement digitizer for my S200E -- has anyone had any luck finding one yet?

I notice that you can buy replacement digitizers for X202E and Q200E from the US. I think that S200E is the European version of these laptops so do you think the digitizers will be the same? I don't think I can check the part numbers unless I remove the digitizer from the laptop. Any help would be much appreciated.

5. wkbag

wkbag Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello,
    few days ago I got an Asus S200E on cheap,it came with Intel Celeron B847 and 2g. ram.
    The machine works fine, but to my surprise the CPU seems to run hot although it is supposed to be ultra voltage!!! during idle the temp. is (50-60 C) / load (82-89 C)
    Untitled.jpg
    this way to high , even my Acer with i7 CPU is a lot cooler.
    I opened the laptop and cleaned the fan, but there is very little improvement, anyway, my question is, did anyone have the same model please report their temp. and is there are anyone tried to repaste / mod the the heatsink???

any aid is highly appreciated

6. m715

m715 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, heat with this series laptops is a known problem for just about all of them, under heavy useage throttling will happen at mild to severe levels, at mild levels most people won't notice it is happening.

If you look back a ways I posted temps with the i3 and my temps are better than what I lot of people have reported. For me I just don't have another fight in me, and for 90% of what I do I'm not affected...

Here I found the post:

7. BOOSTEDP4

BOOSTEDP4 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I'm looking into upgrading my Asus VIVO and wanted to see if anyone is using the Kingston SSDNow V300 drive? It's 7mm so I believe it should work fine. Does anyone know if I would need the Kingwin 2.5 Inch to 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Disk Drive Mounting Kit $6.99 ?

Also, is it pretty easy to install? I noticed on the first page of this thread a user mentioned how to pry the machine open to install the SSD. Sorry I haven't had time to review this whole thread to get caught up on what it takes to install the SSD.

This mechanical 5,400 drive is seriously slowing this system down. Takes way to long to launch apps in Win 8.

Also, any tips on how to clone this over while the SSD is external is appreciated.

Thx for any/all help!

8. m715

m715 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm running the 240GB V300 drive, lighting fast boot times, applications load quick, great upgrade, highly recommend it. It was pretty easy to install after you pry the back off, there are some good directions on how to open it up, I think I watched a youtube video before trying. You don't need an adapter bracket as the 5,400 rpm one is a 2.5" hard drive as well.

I would recommend doing a clean install on the new SSD.

BOOSTEDP4 likes this.
  9. BOOSTEDP4

BOOSTEDP4 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great! I should of known it's a 2.5 drive. Appreciate the feedback on this SSD and the install process! I found a pretty good BF deal on this SSD so I'd like to finally pull the trigger on this upgrade. I might try a fresh install but I'll need to look into where I can get the Windows 8 install disk since mine didn't come with one. I'm pretty sure they loaded it on a backup partition so I'll need to look into that.

10. x3baddad

x3baddad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    any win8 HOME disk will work, before you pull the old drive do this.
    there is a folder on your stock drive named esupport, it contains ALL of the Drivers for your machine and will install in the proper order and restart multiple times as needed. It does Not include the bloatware.
    Copy that to a usb stick, swap drives is install win 8 . Then run the esupport setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.