Asus UX550 vaporware replacement for UX501? Kaby Lake + GTX1060 ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by link626, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexblackburn

alexblackburn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I haven't actually had much experience with Asus laptops, what is the build quality and cooling situation likely to be?

Also, if it's going to cost 2000 euros then what is it likely to cost in the UK/USA?

2. HamzimusPrime

HamzimusPrime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, the Zenbooks have always had great build quality since they are produced in an aluminum unibody. The cooling on the old UX501/G501 with the GTX 960M was excellent and the laptop stayed quiet even under heavy load. So I'll be surprised if that isn't the case with this new model.

Laptops are always more expensive outside of the US, so I assume it will be a little bit cheaper but not by much. This is an XPS 15 competitor after all, and that laptop retails for around 2000+ $ if im not mistaken. One of the great advantages of the UX501/G501 was that they were 4-500 $ cheaper than the XPS 15, perhaps that will also be the case here, but I doubt it.

3. fayth

fayth Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i want to see the internal component, it running with GTX 1050Ti right?

4. marcin.mycek

marcin.mycek Newbie

Reputations:
  5. alexblackburn

Reputations:
    1050 or 1050Ti depending on what spec you buy.

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  7. alexblackburn

Reputations:
    I've seen a few reviews and it looks like an overall great laptop! I do have a few concerns however which I will highlight below (These don't actually concern me as they wouldn't deter me from buying this machine at all. They are just things I've picked up on so far).

They're claiming 14 hrs battery life which I think is just silly. The machine has high-end components and a 73Wh battery, I predict it to last more like 5-7 hours.

Although the build quality looks good, it seems to pick up fingerprints really, really easily (ASUS actually have staff with gloves and cleaning products next to the display units to keep wiping them down haha). Also, a couple of the hands-on videos I've seen have picked up on some pretty serious keyboard flex as shown in the link below:

I'm not personally bothered by fingerprints as I'll likely slap a skin on it but I really hope the keyboard flex is sorted before it is officially released in July.

The pricing starts at $1299 (equating to just over £1000 in the UK) which I think is fair. This would be for a unit with the 1080p display, quad-core i5 and a GTX 1050 I would imagine. The lowest end XPS 15 with a quad-core i5, FHD screen, 1050 GPU and a hard drive instead of an SSD costs £1350 in the UK. This means the Zenbook could be favourable to the XPS.

hmscott likes this.
  8. fayth

fayth Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yeah i saw that women give some little pressure on keyboard area and i see it like made out of plastic not aluminium lol, hope they fix it soon that was very bad.

and i hope there a configuration with i7 gtx 1050 ti and FHD non touch screen. and lets see how good this machine will dispose the heat.

hmscott likes this.
  9. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    so they finally milled this as a unibody chassis instead of the previous aluminum shell over plastic frame?

Looks nice going with matte black. I wonder if they will make an ROG version this time.

But come on !...... still using hdmi 1.4 port ???!
    the fock

$1299 with a 4k screen is much more reasonable than the last generation.
    oh wait, that's the price of the quad i5.
    boooooo.

I bought my old g501 for $800.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  10. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    It's aluminium - there's no plastic on the chassis of the UX550

hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.