Asus UX430UN i7-8550u, 150MX GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD $999 Costco.com

Discussion in 'Notebook and Tech Bargains' started by HTWingNut, Nov 3, 2017.

1. alejo099

alejo099 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was about to buy this laptop but the screen issue kills it. Its crazy they "upgraded" the Laptop and then downgraded the screen. The Lenovo 720s looks good but it has a glossy screen, which I dislike in laptops specially outside when its very reflective.

2. LG29

LG29 Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought this computer at costo too.
    I worked few hours on it and I started to have huge headaches.
    I checked the screen and it was flickering a lot.
    Sent it back to costco and I'm back on my old xps 13 which does not flicker.

3. alejo099

Reputations:
    So I did a bit of research on the NV140FHM panel in this laptop and according to this article, the effects of PWM depend on the speed:

More than 500 Hz are generally not an issue, but there seem to be many users with problems below 250 Hz. (https://www.notebookcheck.net/PWM-Ranking-Notebooks-Smartphones-and-Tablets-with-PWM.163979.0.html)

According to @LG29 there is a negative effect but @HTWingNut
    doesn't report anything. Any ideas if the quad core variant without the GPU has also a panel with PWM?

Its now available here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1360991-REG/asus_ux430ua_dh74_i7_8550u_1_8g_16gb.html

and here

https://www.amazon.com/UX430UA-DH74-Ultra-Slim-wideview-Processor-keyboard/dp/B0768M9KVY

Thanks! I still think its a good laptop with good specs, just the screen

4. dmivos

dmivos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe HTWingNut working at Costco ; ) and he wants more people to buy it. For me (after this UX430UN) I would never buy ASUS again. I don't like plasticky, keyboard, AC Adapter, surface of laptop and that fact they using PWM technology in their expensive laptops

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  5. alejo099

Reputations:
    Well brands can produce good and bad items, can't generalize to all due to one bad item. I had an Asus zenbook ux32vd for almost 5 years and I had no issue whatsoever. It was great. Also had an Asus 168b portable screen quite good also. I am willing to try the UX430UA quad core if it doesn't have the PWM issue.

6. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Most ASUS products I've had experience with are plasticky, low-quality, and priced accordingly.

Can anyone link to some concrete data/studies related to PWM/eye-strain? I'm curious what percentage of people are actually affected by this issue. I sort of feel like it's a very small, very vocal minority.

HTWingNut likes this.
  7. LG29

LG29 Newbie

Reputations:
    Most people don't know that eye-strain can be caused by PWM.
    I had many laptops before (Acer, Asus, Dell, Sony, etc) et it is the first time it is happening to me.
    I had to search before to know why I was having huge headaches and why it was happening even more when I was decreasing the brightness...

8. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    I'm not talking about most people. I'm talking about doctors/scientists - people who collect and publish data.

Most of the hits I found when searching are from Eizo, and I'm not going to trust information about the problem that comes from a company selling "solutions" to the problem.

I'm curious if anyone more familiar with the subject can link to some studies on the topic.

bennni and HTWingNut like this.
  9. dmivos

dmivos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    it's just only my personal opinion. this is logical and it will be clear that any flicker will be tiring on the eyes. as the eye muscles will trying adapt to it. flickering cause multiple contractions and expansions of the pupils, which bears down negatively on eyesight. it is obvious even without laboratornih trials in patients. and I do not think that someone to agree to check on them. when there is a choice to buy laptop with PWM flickering or flickering free screen then the choice is obvious. who wants buy a torture system and pay for it. again, this is only a personal opinion

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    @alejo099 - those are the UA version without the dedicated GPU.

I do think it's a good laptop too overall. It has a good build quality. People expect the moon I guess for $1000. Many laptops are built like this Asus for $1500+. I only report what I see, I have not vested interest in giving false positive reviews.

It is also an aluminum chassis and not "plasticy".