Asus UX430UN i7-8550u, 150MX GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD $999 Costco.com

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Nov 3, 2017.

1. lee480

lee480 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the same concern. Went to the store and tried the twist the display and indeed flex quite a lot ... Considering this and the swift 5..

2. Ivan Ivanusic

Ivan Ivanusic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello can someone provide me default settings for GPU Tweak II for UX430UN, I'm afraid that I screwed up something.. Thanks

3. Juan Pantoja

Juan Pantoja Newbie

Reputations:
    I asked Asus for the money back because the FPS crash was filed even though the manufacturer changed the board. I argued that Asus had false advertising on his page showing this ****ty laptop as a gamer. Also tested with the software Heaven Benchmark at low resolutions and low quality and deactivating Vsync, and showed the fall of FPS, which is not even in laptops from 10 years ago with older graphics cards.
    Asus had no choice but to return the money. I suggest everyone do the same, arguing very well why Asus deceives users with this notebook.

4. PholkLorr

PholkLorr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    UX403UNR bios 305 is out. havent tested it yet

5. QuantumCakeIsALie

QuantumCakeIsALie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did try it. I didn't see any improvement or regression.

6. QuantumCakeIsALie

Reputations:
    Sorry for the double post, but this is for new content, so I hope it's ok. Otherwise feel free to merge my last two posts.

I did some testing under linux for increasing the TDP and to see the effect of the thermal pads used with the cooling pad.
    I managed to properly unlock the TDP of the i7-8550U until it's limited by thermal throttling; the trick is to decrease the Turbo frequencies to avoid the latter. Yet again, less is more.

So I did a little test with three TDP settings:
    1. Nomal: Untouched settings that Ubuntu 18.04 with Kernel 4.15.0-36 selected for me
    2. Long Term Performance: Unlocked TDP and Turbo limited to 2.7 GHz; potentially lower instant performance, but better on the long term!
    3. Long Term Aggressive: Same as above, but 3.2 GHz TurboBoost.
    I also did test either on a flat desk surface or on my cooling pad (laptop pad with fans). The test consisted of a parallel program I'm developing using OpenMP, it spawns 8 threads that yield a 100% load on all 8 logical cores (4 physical).

Note #1: As described earlier in this thread, I have thermal pads in my laptop thermally shunting the heat-sink to the frame of the laptop. The mx150 GPU was unused throughout the testing. Everything was done in the same conditions: a ~22°C room with a ceiling fan. The CPU is undervolted at -90mV for the CPU Core and CPU Cache, and -60mV for the iGPU. The laptop is always running on AC.

Note #2: When I'm gaming on Windows, I limit the TurboBoost at 2.1 GHz. In that situation, the GPU is the important part so limiting the CPU gives the mx150 a little headroom to heat the heatsink.

Note #3: The idle temperature on the cooling pad is 42°C using the performance preset in Linux (basically 3.7 GHz when doing light work) and 37°C using the powersave preset on battery (basically 800 MHz idle, and 1.6 GHz for light work).

Here are the results:
    Code:
    Normal (flat surface):
        test time:  138.9 s
        stab freq:  1.8 GHz
        stab temp:  53°C

Long Term (flat surface):
        test time:  96.1 s
        stab freq:  2.7 GHz
        stab temp:  70°C

Long Term aggressive (flat surface):
        test time:  80.2 s
        stab freq:  3.2 GHz
        stab temp:  87°C    # Starts Throttling if run twice

Normal (cooling pad):
        test time:  138.8 s
        stab freq:  1.9 GHz
        stab temp:  46°C

Long Term (cooling pad):
        test time:  95.0 s
        stab freq:  2.7 GHz
        stab temp:  64°C

Long Term Aggressive (cooling pad):
        test time:  80.5 s
        stab freq:  3.2 GHz
        stab temp:  83°C    # Doesn't throttle if run twice

Remarks:
    • You can see that the cooling pad doesn't seem to help the performance significantly (it doesn't really allow to reach higher clocks) but it keeps the temperature about ~5°C lower.

• The normal setting is actually very good at keeping the temperature low, and the everyday performance is top notch, unless you're doing heavy work, this is already very well tuned.

• On the aggressive setting, the cooling pad is enough to avoid the thermal throttling if I run the test twice or more. So it should be able to stay in that mode for longer if not indefinitely. Although, I don't think I'd be comfortable to run the laptop at 83°C for an extended period of time. In real situations, I'll probably use the "Long Term" 2.7 GHz mode for video encoding or scientific computation, maybe increasing the frequency a little.

I hope this data can be of help to some of you!
    If someone wants to try something similar without the thermal pads it could be interesting.

PS: Here's the code to increase the TDP, it's specific to the i7-8550U and it could void your warranty or brick your CPU. The only warranty is that it does not make coffee. Use at your own risk.
    Normal:
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/sudo bash
    # 3.7/3.7/4.0/4.0 GHz Turbo for 4/3/2/1 cores
    wrmsr 0x1ADH 0x25252828
    printf "Turbo for 4/3/2/1 cores: "
    rdmsr 0x1ADH
    # Original 8 to 44 watts TDP
    wrmsr 0x610 0x42016000dc8040
    printf "Register 0x610 value: "
    rdmsr 0x610
    printf "\n Editing MCHBAR register value ...\n "
    devmem2 0xFED159A0 w 0xDD8040

Long Term:
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/sudo bash
    # 2.7 GHz Turbo for 4/3/2/1 cores
    wrmsr 0x1ADH 0x1b1b1b1b
    rdmsr 0x1ADH
    # Unlock full 44 watts TDP
    wrmsr 0x610 0x42016000dd8160
    rdmsr 0x610
    devmem2 0xFED159A0 w 0xDD8160

Long Term Aggresive:
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/sudo bash
    # 3.2 GHz Turbo for 4/3/2/1 cores
    wrmsr 0x1ADH 0x20202020
    rdmsr 0x1ADH
    # Unlock full 44 watts TDP
    wrmsr 0x610 0x42016000dd8160
    rdmsr 0x610
    devmem2 0xFED159A0 w 0xDD8160

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Guarino95 likes this.
  7. brattak

brattak Newbie

Reputations:
    when my zen start backlight keyboard is off have any way for when start lock backlight keyboard ever on (dell) thanks

8. dun1982

dun1982 Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone figured out a way yet to by-pass the thermal limit on the GPU? It seems that there was some thread in spring/summer time that Asus rep confirmed that 305 will be the last bios update and according to their data there won't be a bios ever to fix the thermal limit.

Asus TweakUI 2 (or any other software) will not fix the issue nor by-pass the limit (I have tested all since first bios and what happens in best case scenario is that you can run few moments your card with 85-90 degree limit and then the bios figures out that something odd is happening and limits the thermals to 73 pronto.

9. QuantumCakeIsALie

Reputations:
    The best way I found isn't a bypass but more of a workaround.

1. I put thermal pads between the CPU/GPU heatsinks and the body of the laptop.
    2. I undervolt the CPU as much as I can.
    3. I use a cooling pad with fans.
    4. On a per-game basis, I limit the TurboBoost, and I make custom voltage curves for the GPU so that it overclocks and undervolts at the same time.

The goal is to be able to keep the system both stable and as cool as possible under load. I typically can stabilize it at around 67°C.

As a comparison, I can play for hours that way for DOOM at 720p low 60+ FPS or Prey at 768p med 45+ fps.

The real heat culprit in that laptop is the CPU (and shared CPU/GPU heatsink). The CPU Turbos aggressively which heats it up really fast and then it has to downclock agressively too. For short workloads it's perfect and snappy, but for sustained loads (gaming, encoding video, rendering, etc.) it's better overall to just limit the turbo and keep the heat in check.

Less is more!

Keep in mind this isn't really marketed as a gaming laptop. It's a great powerful daily driver for people that need quite a lot of horsepower for productivity; being decent at gaming is just an extra. I game maybe 5% of the time with mine, but I don't own a Desktop so it's perfect to get a taste of current games.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  10. dun1982

dun1982 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yup. I did all but thermal pads. I have limited the cpu to 5W tdp which works wonders (but does not turbo anymore that much. Temps are much better. Furmark 800x600 default gives me stable 30-31 fps.

I got the GPU briefly around 90c with GPU tweak2, but after 15 seconds it went back to 73. Durin that 15s period fps was 41-42, which tells where the issue is. Remember that cpu cannot go over 5W, so cooling is almost completely for GPU (which is not enough...)

Xff34 likes this.