Asus UX430UN i7-8550u, 150MX GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD $999 Costco.com

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Nov 3, 2017.

1. QuantumCakeIsALie

QuantumCakeIsALie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe we should try some blender renders, that would probably also induce throttling yet be considered "work" load rather than gaming.

2. skflsdkjfld

skflsdkjfld Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Probably any video at 1080p in full screen with a lot of movement would be enough to trigger it.

For example, you could try with something like this:
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhaHqRrbQ8o
    The only thing is the short length of time...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  3. QuantumCakeIsALie

QuantumCakeIsALie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Decoding Video is highly optimised, I doubt this would work. I'm on linux using the integrated GPU right now and that video played smoothly in 4K.

4. just_zenbook

just_zenbook Newbie

Reputations:
    My brand new UX430 shows battery wear. Is this normal? It says design capacity is 48,856 but current capacity is 48,279. Not much difference I would expect it be 100% on new machine. Also this product is supposed to have 50W battery (it says even so on the box), so are they only rounding up numbers or did they install wrong battery at the factory? I'm reading this information by using Windows 10 command line command powercfg /batteryreport.

Also my unit seem to have PWM flicker display (BOE something). I found PWM tool that allows to adjust it higher and it seems to work but I was worried is it safe to use. Obviously it must have some side effect because why not manufacturer did not just adjust it higher already. I noticed display start to make slight sound when going over 1000Hz but strangely 3000Hz did not make sound (or my ears are damaged :) ).

Also I'm considering to use Notebook FanControl but this also puzzles me. Is it safe to use it and if I uninstall it, will my system fan control go back to default settings (or does it require some steps to go back to defaults) or does this program do permanent changes to fan speed controller?

Also would it be advisable to use battery health charging program from Asus? I noticed that it just limits charge by setting upper limit to 60% or 80% but both of those mention that battery starts to charge once it goes to 58% or 78% so I guess it just charge and stop charging constantly and is actually charging battery almost all the time just like without that but just prevents it charging fully (which I understood it harmful in long term).

5. lee480

lee480 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just wondering what is the date manufactured as stated on the box or underneath the laptop? Thanks.

6. just_zenbook

just_zenbook Newbie

Reputations:
    There is a label underneath the laptop that says mfd 2018-01, so I assume it means January 2018. Not sure if this means anything but when I opened box and tried to turn on the laptop for the first time it did not start at all until I connected charged and tried again, so battery was maybe fully drained (or maybe it has been programmed to do so when new).
    I did not pay attention what battery level was then and due to Windows installation initiated I had to wait a while for insallation and I forgot to check battery when it was readty, so I really cannot say for sure if battery was realle empty but I think it was. Also date was wrong showing Jan 23 (if I recall correctly), so maybe that was actual manufacturing day or the day when battery run empty.
    Did anyone else need to connect charger before it started when it was new?

7. lee480

lee480 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    why i asked the manufacturing date is because someone bought (quoted below) this laptop with Feb-18 manufacturing date and it came with a non PWM screen... im eyeing this laptop and cannot stand a pwm screen flickering at 200hz!

8. just_zenbook

just_zenbook Newbie

Reputations:
    I guess they are using both of these screens and depending on manufacturing batch it can be either one. If you look at ICM profiles that come with Asus Splendid tool, there are two ICM profiles for the same model (one for BOE and one for ChiMei). Basically BOE panel looks pretty nice and uniform but I also hate PWM even I can live with it. Obviously those PWM tools can raise PWM rate but I'm not sure if it is healthy for the panel in long term. Also it looks like BOE panel is not even close to 100% srgb.

9. just_zenbook

just_zenbook Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone had problems with display or display lid? I'm asking because display lid feel damn thin and bends very easily. Just a light press around Asus logo causes it to warp! I guess I should have paid more attention to that at the shop but I somehow did not look it so carefully because pretty much every other laptop I was testing seemed to have pretty solid lids, and I was just testing Zenbook base (which is pretty solid except keyboard area) and thought the lid must be the same quality. Not sure if Asus has some clever reinforcement below metal cover to protect display because otherwise I think that will cause trouble during transportation eventually.

10. PholkLorr

PholkLorr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Updates from my anti heating endeavours: I bought some cheapo $1+ thermal pads from aliexpress. 1mm one. Tested 4 runs of 3dmark each before and after sticking the thermal pads on top of the heatpipes. I placed one where the fan is, 1 on top of gpu, 1 on top of cpu. I never used GPU Tweak in this scenario.

GPU Max temps after was about 3 degrees cooler. The hottest recorded was 71 degs after the 4th run, vs 74 degs (throttle) without the thermal pads.
    CPU Max temps was about 2 degrees cooler.

Maybe if i bought more expensive fujipoly i could lower the temps more. But im quite pleased with the minor decrease in temps. Every bit helps. Also, i played World of Warcraft stably without frame dips for over an hour. That's most important to me. To have a consistent, stable performance.

Also in reply to the guy asking about the display lid: It's fine, i dont have any problems with it. Im not in the habit of pressing my laptops unnaturally either.