Asus UX430UN i7-8550u, 150MX GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD $999 Costco.com

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Nov 3, 2017.

1. jmlramos

jmlramos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I´ve been researching this subject over the last days. I have an Asus UX303LB and I experienced nausea with it´s PWM regulated screen even before knowing PWM existed and could cause this. Quite curiously the nausea effect disappeared after a few days, but now I´m worried about getting a laptop with even worse PWM.

Right now I´m thinking about updating my laptop and found a good deal on the Asus UX430UA. I read about the terrible PWM on the UX430UN and UX430UQ, but it looks like the UX430UA has the N140HCE-EN1 panel you mentioned, which is classically not associated with PWM.

Is there any way to make sure if the UX430UA models all come with this panel?

2. PholkLorr

PholkLorr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Regarding pwm, i'm not susceptible to low PWM so i don't notice anything. Nevertheless, i've read about this PWM controller. I tried it, it says that i changed my PWM but i can't tell cause like i said, i'm not susceptible to PWM. Perhaps you can try it out

https://github.com/dmytrov/IntelPWMControl

3. jmlramos

Reputations:
    In Portugal they do not allow for replacement of a laptop bought in an electronic store (I know... ridiculous), so I need to make sure it does not have PWM. I doubt these softwares work properlym specially if you want to keep a certain specific brigthness level and color calibration. I´m a photographer and want a near-100%sRGB screen, which will be hardware calibrated.

4. jmlramos

Reputations:
    Went to the store today to check for PWM on the UX430UA. Used my smartphone camera in manual mode, and tried all kinds of shutter speed. Couldn´t not detect any kind of moving bands at any brightness level, so I guess this model does not use PWM. They allowed me to run AIDA64 on the laptop and it uses a Chi Mei N140HCE-EN1 panel. Interesting.

5. smeep

smeep Newbie

Reputations:
    BIOS 304 is out for the UX430UNR. For some reason, it only shows up in the "Driver & Tools" tab and not the "BIOS & Firmware" one, plus you need to select "Others" for your OS.

I installed it from the existing BIOS and so far so good, although who knows what's different about it. :)

QuantumCakeIsALie likes this.
  6. waalx

waalx Newbie

Reputations:
    hey guys,

I have a question that maybe some of you can answer. Some people say that you should only use gpu drivers provided by the manufacturer of a laptop. I'm wondering if it's better to stick with that idea with the UX430UN, or if I should updated to the latest nvidia driver.

There's conflicting opinions on that matter online... I've found a thread somewhere on an Asus forum (for a different laptop) where dev said it's alright to get the latest driver.

Other than that I have to say that this laptop is great, quite light, sound is impressive, it can handle work quite well - but for gaming it's a step down from my previous two Zenbook. My last one was a UX303UB, and playing games was much more responsive than on this one. Assassin's Creed Origins was running much better, with many settings much higher, Witcher III as well, although I have to say the UX430UB handle the Witcher III better than AC Origins. The cutscene where also more fluids than on the ux430un.

I set the laptop with ThrottleStop and GPU Teak II, I also changed the SSD to a 960 EVO 1TB.

Whats your take on the GPU drivers?

7. QuantumCakeIsALie

QuantumCakeIsALie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you fix the throttling issues? I'm surprised an older laptop with a weaker GPU would perform better than this one, unless the limitation is the thermal throttling.

I use the latest nvidia drivers and the aforementioned thermal strategies to play Doom 2016 in 720p consistently at over 50 fps, frequently around 80.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018 at 9:01 AM
  8. waalx

waalx Newbie

Reputations:
    Gaming performance is really worse compared to my older Zenbook which only had a 940m (roughly the same as an mx150 in fact). I'm not sure if it's because there was two fans in the UX303UB, instead of one in the UX430UN. The UX430UN has a bigger fan but share the same heatpipe, whereas the UX303UB had two smaller fans but they were acting on the GPU and CPU separately. Back then I was able to play game sitting on the couch with the laptop in my lap. It was getting warm of course, but not as much as this new laptop, and I wouldn't consider gaming with it on my lap either.

I'm thinking that the better performance on the older version also had to do with the CPU which was clocked at base 2.5ghz (3,1ghz turbo), instead of this new one that is at base 1.8ghz.. I think it struggle to keep over 2ghz more or less, and will not sustain high speed for long, which is needed for a game. This is just an idea, but I think it may be connected?

I'm going to have a go with the latest Nvidia driver and see if that make any difference. I can always rollback to the stock one if it doesn't go well.

9. QuantumCakeIsALie

QuantumCakeIsALie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My CPU can sustain constant 2.4GHz at around 65C while gaming, that's with thermal pads and a cooling pad. Manually limiting the turboboost helps a lot with the temperature. It "shoots itself in the foot" when it boosts close to 4.0GHz for a short amount of time and then has to underclock afterwards to limit heating.

The laptop does require a fair amount of fiddling around to get good *consistent* performances though, there's no debate there.

PS: IIRC on linux, with no limiting of the turbo boost, it stabilized at around 2 GHz encoding x264 with 8 threads over a few hours, but the temperature was barely over 60C.

PPS: I've looked at youtube videos of the 940m playing Doom 2016 and the mx150 is definitely better if you can keep its thermals in check, I get around 1.5x to twice the FPS of the video I've seen with some settings at higher quality than in the video.

This laptop would really shine if they'd just unlock the ridiculously low thermal limit already.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018 at 9:03 AM
  10. skflsdkjfld

skflsdkjfld Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you try the latest BIOS version 304? Any difference than 302?