Asus UX430UN i7-8550u, 150MX GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD $999 Costco.com

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Nov 3, 2017.

1. QuantumCakeIsALie

QuantumCakeIsALie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Care to explain how to disable it? What made me think it was the thermal pad is the fact that it happened both on Linux and Windows. Maybe the new 4.15 kernel has the same connected standby *feature*.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  2. PholkLorr

PholkLorr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    http://www.itprotoday.com/management-mobility/disabling-windows-connected-standby

From my research, i've found that if connected standby is enabled, then your laptop won't be able to use S3 power saving mode when you sleep. Connected standby basically hijacks your Sleep and treats your laptop like a handphone or tablet, where it's in low power mode but waiting and listening for updates from the internet. Also, if you disable connected standby, you get to see all the other advanced power options like PCIE Link state, etc in the power options, just like how it should be.

3. QuantumCakeIsALie

Reputations:
    I lost 30% in 18 hours yesterday night, using the 4.15 Linux kernel. It isn't as bad as yours, but 1.66%/hour is still much more than I'd expect. I feel like we could get close to that kind of discharge by killing all unnecessary processes, turning all radio off, forcing the cpu to 400MHz and turning off the screen. Sleep should be better than that.

Tonight, I'll try in Windows with connected standby disabled.

[EDIT]

For the record, I think I found what was the problem with my suspend on Linux. I'm using a distro with systemd and by default it was suspending to *idle*, basically what I described above.

The default mode is the one in brackets if you do
    Code:
    # cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
    e.g. I had
    Code:
    [s2idle] deep
    I then executed
    Code:
    # echo deep > /sys/power/mem_sleep
    and I had a 0% drop in battery over my 45 minutes lunch. I'll try this mode overnight today and the Windows suspend later. I don't care much about suspend on Windows as I only use it to play games, whereas I work everyday on Linux.

[EDIT 2]

I had about 5% battery drain in around 16 hours overnight, so the suspend is properly fixed in Linux.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  4. matiss

matiss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Asus GPU TWEAK II will solve temp limitation. Just go to advanced mode and bump max temp to 90 or so. Works like a charm and clocks are stable ;)

@edit:

My bad, It was posted before.

Any improvements after changing a thermal paste? is it worth the effort?

5. QuantumCakeIsALie

Reputations:
    It seems that it still throttles, but it can reach slightly higher than 73C using GT2.

I did not change the thermal paste, but I thermally shunted the CPU and GPU to the chassis with thermal pads and I'm using a cooling pad with fans to keep the chassis cool. It works quite well!

Using GT2 to overclock and undervolt at the same time, plus the aforementioned cooling methods, I get very respectable performances at temperatures barely reaching 70C.

[EDIT]

Also, I had about 5% battery drain in around 16 hours overnight, so the suspend is properly fixed in Linux.

6. alejo099

alejo099 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here is a video on stuttering I found:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...=cm_cr_othr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B077BXRBK1

Also I´ve been gaming stable for a while now, playing a bunch of ames. Thermal pad in GPU and CPU, no cooler. To avoid battery drain when "off", instead of sleep I use hibernate. Much better.

Thorttlestop -.74.2 CPU core and Cache and Intel GPU 49.8. When working I get crashes when loading big data into the RAM so I turn it off. On gaming works great. Tried modifying the curve in afterburner for a flat 1500 Mhz and got even worse performance, so didn't move that. Also removing the temp limit using GPU Tweak II, makes things even worse for me, way more stuttering. I think the throttling comes from the CPU temps which leads to lower GPU clock.

The only thing that annoys me still is the noisy coil whine. I bought at 960 EVO 500 gb (what a headache to clone to a slightly smaller drive) and..... coil whine STILL there. Some reddit user posted that he used the 850 EVO and the coil whine was gone. Not willing to double dip. The only solution is to disable turbo in throttlestop but of course this reduces performance. Should have returned this for one that didn't have coil whine....oh well too late. This indeed is a mix bag of laptop, which requires a lot of tinkering.

7. QuantumCakeIsALie

Reputations:
    I put a MyDigitalSSD SBX 512GB, a x2 NVMe drive, on mine because there's only 2x PCIe lanes left on the motherboard so the 960evo is limited by x2 performance anyways, and I'm quite happy with it. I hear no coil noise on a day to day basis but it's here if you *look* for it in a very quiet room. It's much better than the stock one though.

I could swear that I had throttling of the GPU with both CPU/GPU under 80C, maybe disabling PROCHOT would fix that? I don't want to risk burning something on the motherboard though...

BTW it's normal that you had worse performance at a flat 1500MHz, the GPU normally boosts over 1600MHz when cool IIRC. What I did with the flat curves is to force it to overclock at around 1650MHz while keeping the voltage at around 0.9V, it's a relative undervolt.

Also, repeated hibernation isn't good for the SSD, I'd try disabling connected standby. My Linux tests show that it's not a bios issue.

8. skflsdkjfld

skflsdkjfld Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  9. PholkLorr

PholkLorr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After disabling connected standby, my battery drain during sleep went away. Sleep performs as it used to with my old laptops.

My thoughts on SSDs: i never bothered to change out the default 512GB because i don't think there is any perceptible difference between the slowest SSDs and the fastest nvme SSDs when it comes to real world performance for most users. tomshardware or anandtech has an article on this and found that outside of benchmarks, there is no difference between an NVME drive vs a SATA SSD in normal workloads and booting time.

Don't be tricked by the marketing guys!

10. QuantumCakeIsALie

Reputations:
    In my previous laptop I had a 840 pro and the downgrade to the X400 was actually very noticeable, especially for messing around with many small files and booting up, plus the coil whine.

That said, I could've just upgraded to a better Sata SSD, but for the price the MDSSD was a better deal.

I do my fair share of scientific data analysis though, which might not be everyone's case.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018