Asus UX430UN i7-8550u, 150MX GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD $999 Costco.com

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Nov 3, 2017.

1. skflsdkjfld

skflsdkjfld Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Possible stuttering fixes:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/F1Game/comments/8k876i/possible_stuttering_fix/
    or search:
    "standby memory issue causing stutters" (related to Windows 10 1703, 1709, 1803).

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  2. QuantumCakeIsALie

QuantumCakeIsALie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have tried his batch file to completely disable GameBarPresenceWriter.exe and I haven't seen any noticeable difference. I haven't disabled the shader cache, as I have a NVMe drive and it should be faster to load them from cache than to compile them on the fly.

I played around 1 hours of arcade mode on DOOM this weekend and I didn't notice any stuttering, there was some slowdowns (30 to 40 fps instead of 60 to 100fps) at times with many ennemies, but it didn't correlate with frequency throttling or GPU high temp (it stays at around 75C) and it resolved itself after a few seconds. It happened on a level I had never played before and only at the beginning, when encountering new ennemies, so maybe it was caching stuff or compiling shaders?

I will try to add back a thermal pad to the GPU in the next few days to see it it can improve the heat extraction of the cooling pad.

All of that said, a bios update to properly support 85C GPU temp would be a game changer here.

[EDIT]

The thermal pad on the GPU did help, along with the cooling pad. I also limited my turbo boost to 2.5 GHz in ThrottleStop and I can now properly play a smooth DOOM at full 100% scale 720p with low graphics with typical FPS around 80 and very few dips under 60 when there's a lot of action. It *feels* a lot smoother though, probably because the FPS don't jump around as much.

All of that is while the GPU and CPU both stay under 70C. I'm using the GPU undervolting trick in GT2 to have around 920 to 960 mV at 1671 MHz.

For ROTTR, I had to use a lower clock otherwise it was unstable and stuttering without downclocking. I tried to aim for the stock clock but undervolted and it seems it worked fine.

Also, vsync is your enemy, I get stutter in CSS using it because the GPU downclocks itself as it can easily handle such an old game at 60fps, but if there's a sudden rise in scene complexity it takes a bit of time to clock back up and you totally notice it.

Still, I wonder what could be achieved with proper 85C limit, GT2 thermal limit settings seems to help a little, but it's not a proper fix.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    skflsdkjfld and PholkLorr like this.
  3. skflsdkjfld

Reputations:
    You're right, but ASUS ZenTalk Forum is almost desert and I can't be the only one to complain with them on Facebook, so I suggest everybody on this thread to contact ASUS North America support on one of these channels:
    https://www.facebook.com/asus.n.america/
    https://twitter.com/AsusHelpUS
    https://icr-am.asus.com/webchat/icr...104.865946403.1510256940-505311807.1405556905

[EDIT]

I've just received this reply from Asus support on Facebook:
    Can you provide me a video with severe stuttering during a game and the indication of the gpu temp throttled? I don't see any severe stuttering on the youtube videos included from the OP.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  4. greatben2

greatben2 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just some information on the display:
    I just bought this laptop (top model, with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD, manufactured in Feb 2018) from MSY in Australia.
    Upon initial observation I failed to observe any PWM, and upon closer inspection using my phone with highest shutter speed, the keyboard backlight was found to use PWM, but not the display.
    AIDA64 shows that the display installed is in fact the N140HCE-EN1, i.e. the same panel as those installed in some older ASUS 14 inch laptops.
    Perhaps ASUS has decided to upgrade the display panel after the PWM issue is found by the users, or perhaps the models shipped to different countries are using different panels...
    The ChiMei panel is very decent in terms of color space, but the white balance is on the blue side, around 7400K according to notebookcheck.com (ideal is 6500k). This is in fact worse than the BOE panel. The Asus Splendid tool can largely remedy this issue, but the richness of blue color seems slightly worse when compared side by side with a Surface Book.

The coil while is there, I'll make attempts at attenuating it without replacing the SSD...

5. QuantumCakeIsALie

Reputations:
    I'm not properly equipped to do a proper video, maybe someone else in the thread can?

I can't see flicker using my phone on either the display or the keyboard backlight, I can totally see bands on my desktop monitor though.

Since I've added a thermal pad to the GPU, I've had excessive battery discharge while in suspend mode in both Windows and Linux. My guess is that the pad is electrically conductive enough to shunt something or create a ground loop. I've since put Kapton tape between the thermal pad and the laptop's chassis, it might be less efficient at cooling the GPU but hopefully it'll fix the battery issue. I'll post an update once I figure out if that was the problem.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  6. PholkLorr

PholkLorr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I noticed excessive battery discharge in sleep mode too. But i think this was the case even before i repasted the thermal paste. I didn't use any thermal pads.

7. QuantumCakeIsALie

Reputations:
    I lose something like 70% in twelve hours, was your experience similar? I hadn't notice such extreme suspended drain before. I'll see tomorrow if the kapton helped.

8. PholkLorr

Reputations:
    I lost about 18% battery in 3 hrs of sleep.

9. skflsdkjfld

Reputations:
    I use it for work, so GPU throttling is not my main concern. We'll see if someone can do it.

For your battery issue, I suggest to check the battery health with this tool:
    https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/battery_information_view.html

Mine is over 90% (because it's a recent purchase).

10. PholkLorr

Reputations:
    After further research, I found that all the power woes and mouse always waking the laptop from sleep even though it was set to not be able to wake from sleep stems from this thing called "connected standby" .

After I disabled connected standby in the registry, I was able to get normal sleep behaviour from my laptop. Haven't tested battery drain in the normal sleep mode yet but I expect it to be much better.