Asus UX430UN i7-8550u, 150MX GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD $999 Costco.com

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Nov 3, 2017.

1. PholkLorr

PholkLorr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I repasted the thermal paste with thermal grizzly kryonaut. There was next to no difference in my 3dmark time spy score but perhaps it's because 3dmark launches a series of short tests instead of being a constant test. If you have to run a load constantly (like playing a game), then it is more important that your CPU/GPU can sustain their speed for a protracted period of time.

Anyway, my 3dmark best score was 1207, GPU score 1115, CPU 2300. This was on the first run when the laptop is still cool. Rerun it a few times and the score drops. Interestingly, before installing gpu tweak, i was able to get cpu scores over 3k. I suspect that SH_P is right and the single heatpipe + small fan sharing the thermal load of both the CPU and GPU caused the CPU to not be able to run fast for long. However, when i disabled GPU tweak or set the GPU thermal limit back to 74 deg, i was unable to get back the 3k+ CPU scores. Oh well, GPU score is more important for me.

After lots of tinkering, i was finally able to get Witcher 3 to run relatively smoothly at 40fps 720p, all low (except for terrain and texture Med) settings. I capped the GPU to 1518 Mhz @ 800 mV constant (ie. a straight line through 1518 Mhz). Think the trick is to try and reduce voltages on the CPU iGPU and GPU as much as possible.

The laptop does get hot, but at least i'm happy knowing that W3 is actually playable.

Much happier with the laptop now.

EDIT: heat dissipation still sucks. dota 2 will run at 50+ 60 fps for a few minutes before either crashing completely (GPU went to 139 Mhz) or frame rate will dip to 10 fps for 1 min, then recover to 60 fps for 2 mins, down to 10 fps for 1 min.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. 0Style

0Style Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello all!

I've recently gotten this laptop and I have to say I am quite disappointed with the performance is notebookcheck mx150 benchmark any viable source of average performance for this card? I feel like I am getting half the fps shown there... For example 720p on R6 all lowest it runs around 50-60fps with stutters

3. PholkLorr

Reputations:
    The stock performance of the laptop is crap. If you dont want to open your laptop, the best thing to do is to undervolt the CPU and Intel HD GPU using a software like intel XTU or throttlestop (throttlestop seems more reliable at applying the settings at startup as opposed to XTU, but XTU is slightly easier to use). And IMPORTANTLY, using the Asus GPU Tweak software to change the MX150's thermal limit from 74 to 94 degs C. You can also use MSI afterburner to Undervolt the MX150.

0Style likes this.
  4. 0Style

0Style Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the answer (although it sucks the laptop is so ****)! I have just one more question - what would be the rather safe amounts to undervold the gpu? I know the CPU should take around -100 but I have never tweaked a gpu... thanks a lot!

5. PholkLorr

Reputations:
    I'm on the I5 8250U variant. I used -87.9 mv on both the CPU core and Cpu Cache, -95.7 mV on the intel GPU using throttlestop.

For MSI Afterburner, i was able to make the MX150 max out at 800mV at 1500 MHz. So the graph would look like one straight line across. However, if i up the voltage to about 883 mV, i would be able to get the clock speed up to 1607 MHz for benchmark purposes. However, for playing games continuously, i rather use the max 800mv profile so as to minimize heat buildup.

6. mojobear

mojobear Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey there how are you able to change the voltage on the MX150? I seem to be stuck and cant do it.

7. PholkLorr

Reputations:
    Use Asus Gametweak software. set to game mode (or any mode really). they all allow the temps to reach 94 degs. You can confirm this by using a temp monitoring software like GPUZ/hwmonitor/etc to let you know the max temp yr gpu reached. Also, benchmarks will show u the diff.

8. mojobear

mojobear Newbie

Reputations:
    But how do you keep it at 800 mV? Thanks!

9. alejo099

alejo099 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can you share us how did you achieve this? Thanks!

10. PholkLorr

Reputations:
    Here's my MSI Afterburner profile. 1 for benchmarks, the other to limit the power draw to 800 mv.

Attached Files:

• msi.png
      msi.png
      File size:
      24.9 KB
      Views:
    • msi2.png
      msi2.png
      File size:
      13.1 KB
      Views: