Asus UX430UN i7-8550u, 150MX GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD $999 Costco.com

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Nov 3, 2017.

1. PaulDownUnder

PaulDownUnder Newbie

Reputations:
    I wouldn’t hold my breathe that the will raise the limit. The chassis and cooling system can’t handle the heat as it is. Let alone if they raised it.

The only thing you can do is force a slower GPU clock using an undervolt method (msi afterburner). That and using the fans on full might stop it throttling so aggressively.

2. zbth93

zbth93 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone else have a lot of coil whine/buzzing sound coming from their unit? Basically my laptop is constantly buzzing even if it's just sitting there with the desktop view on the screen. On the bios screen the whine/buzz is barely audible but in Windows even at idle I can hear it from several feet away in a quiet room.

I changed the SSD to a bigger one and did a fresh install of Windows 10, but can't say it made it any more bearable. Maybe changed a bit when it happens and I think it didn't actually make so much sound in the background, but was more loud when moving the cursor etc. Anything I should try?

3. Mr. President

Mr. President Newbie

Reputations:
    Could you go into a bit of detail about your optimal thermal pad setup? Could you post pics? It sounds like replacing the stock pads on your CPU had the most cooling impact. Also which thermal pads did you use?

I bought a laptop cooling pad with 2 fans and side intake vents for long gaming sessions for now.

4. alejo099

alejo099 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes its quite annoying. I tried using thermal pads (https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Therm...F8&qid=1518199486&sr=8-5&keywords=thermal+pad) but no luck. @fischju reported using thermal pads that made it quiet it for him. I asked him for the brand but haven´t heard back yet. I think mine helped for gaming but not for the annoying sound. I put on the SSD, the CPU and GPU.

The only thing that worked for me to shut the noise, was unplugging the laptop and using it under "better battery" in the power slider but of course its not a long term solution. I think someone reported using an NVME SSD replacement and activating it in the BIOS and it was gone. What brand of larger SSD did you use?

I can also report I used this as a micro sd adapter (https://www.amazon.com/aluminum-mic...9708&sr=8-1&keywords=micro+sd+adapter+zenbook) and it has no slowdown in micro sd speed. So its great, I just wished the SD card reader itself went faster. Still I installed steam games on it and it worked great.

Also I updated the laptop with the latest BIOS, and now I don´t see a fall in FPS, every 10 seconds for a second or two, but rather, a big fall in FPS for 20 seconds and then an increase to regular FPS for a minute and then a fall for 20 seconds again. Its not as annoying as before when it was a stutter, but now it still annoying. The only way I found to avoid this, is to put fans at full speed, and then lift the laptop from the desk. I am able to get stable 1400Mhz use, but its quite loud, with the fan running at full power.

Overall I still like the laptop, but it has more drawbacks that I would like it to have, not sure if I would buy again. The thing that is annoying me the most is the coil whine, especially at night when watching a movie or so. Any other ideas for this?

5. zbth93

zbth93 Newbie

Reputations:
    I now have Samsung 960 EVO which is an NVME drive. How do you activate it in the BIOS? Can't seem to do jack with the BIOS on this laptop, since there doesn't seem to be any way to change anything. Even the NVME configuration page only shows the name of the drive grayed out and not any way to configure anything. The drive seems to be working fine though.

I also put a 1.5mm thermal pad on the SSD, but that doesn't seem to affect the sound it's making. Also I notice that the noise quiets down a bit when I choose the "better battery" option, but not to the point I wouldn't still hear the screeching noise in the background while watching videos/movies from the internet. EDIT: Correction, the thermal pad definitely does make the screeching noise a lot quieter, but it does not eliminate it completely and it is still clearly audible to my ear.

I don't really mind the whole throttling problem since I don't intend to game with this thing, but the coil whine honestly borderline ruins the whole experience. Worst part is that it seems to be something that happens to a lot of laptops no matter the price or the brand, so there is not much point to take this thing back only to get another one and find out it makes the same noise. Seems like that is exactly what has happened to many people when I read these threads.

Guess I'll hold on to this thing and keep looking around for different solutions. If these people who claim they got rid of the coil whine aren't half deaf, there's still hope that it might be something that can be fixed.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  6. alejo099

alejo099 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Its annoying me quite a lot. To the point I am using my old laptop in quiet environments. Some suggestions that come to my mind to solve this:

-Undervolt. Since better battery seems to quiet it down a bit.
    -Put a thermal pad under the ssd. Since the noise seem to come from under....Although not sure if it can cause problems to the laptop. There is a special tape under the SSD that could help tough.
    - Try another brand of SDD?

Also @HTWingNut said there was a reduction in noise when he changed to that NVME. Maybe he can tell you how to change the options.

What drives me crazy is that my 4 year old zenbook doesn't have coil whine at all, 4 years after they produce a worse quality item. PWM, coil whine, thermal throttling at low temps, stuttering while gaming, AC adapter where you can't hide the prongs, no adapters included....

7. dakooga

dakooga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nothing to configure although you can use the samsung nvme drivers instead of the MS ones... you can find the drivers on the samsung ssd site. Also grab samsung magcian software and set a 10% empty zone (I forget the name) which gives your drive a bit more lifespan... make sure you do NOT enable RAID mode..

8. dakooga

Reputations:
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  9. Jesper Gran

Jesper Gran Newbie

Reputations:
    Its strange that you all are saying that it has PWM-problems. I did a side by side test with my asus vg248qe witch has alot of pwm flicker. It showed nothing from the laptop. Why is that? I have video proof is anyone is interested and i live in sweden (Maybe they use another screen here?)

Coil-whine is there tho. But 0 screen-flickering even at 10% brightness.

I recorded at 120fps with 6400 ISO

Or is it harder to track low PWM? I changed the values of the camera as much as i could and couldnt find a single point where it flickered.

10. dakooga

Reputations:
    I have to admin I've not really noticed it. Evidently some people are sensitive to it and others are not... It's akin to seeing the pulse on some florescent lights (which I can one some but other can't).

It's also something you can measure by adjusting the frame rate on camera which massively exaggerates the effect and to which people then react to by saying it looks really bad even when @ human frame rates it's not noticeable.