Asus UX430UN i7-8550u, 150MX GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD $999 Costco.com

Discussion in 'Notebook and Tech Bargains' started by HTWingNut, Nov 3, 2017.

1. alejo099

alejo099 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Antonio Maria Guerra , how are you holding with the PWM? Still getting headaches? Try this PWM utility I found online: https://github.com/BALEHOK/PWM/blob/master/PWM tool.zip
    Haven't tried it myself but according to this video it should be working:

In my case I haven't noticed the PWM, but I guess it varies by user. Alternatively you can also go to Intel Graphic Settings > Display > Color Settings, and Reduce the Brightness Slider. While in the laptop keys putting the display at full brightness. Make sure you have adaptive brightness off, otherwise you won't be able to increase the brightness to full where there is no PWM.

I got my unit recently. What can I say, the build quality is good, the bezels are small and that is cool, and overall looks and feels like a great machine. However, I've been getting the fans on all the time, and they are loud and producing and annoying whistle sound. I tried downloading Notebook Fan Control, but didn't find the correct profile for the laptop, not even the old version for UX430UQ. Any suggestions how should I use it? Also, has anyone found out if there is cable on top of the fan producing the noise?

I also tried gaming, and at the begging it was working like a charm and after 15 min I started getting the micro-stuttering. FPS would drop around 10, in rocket league. So, I am another user waiting for the update BIOS to increase the throttling temps. Can't believe they can release this laptop with such a glaring fault. Hopefully it will get solved soon.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. dakooga

dakooga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do know when significant windows update drops there is an initial extra load that last an hour or more when windows recompiles a few libraries - I forget which - but these one time processes to run when the PC is mostly idle. Could it be those you're seeing running (and draining power)?

~koog

3. alejo099

Reputations:
    Long Update: I used this app to control PWM https://github.com/BALEHOK/PWM/blob/master/PWM tool.zip. I put it to run on 3000hz, as suggested by the most serious study I could find (http://www.bio-licht.org/02_resources/info_ieee_2015_standards-1789.pdf) pg 44/45 where it says there isn't any effect whatsoever on human eyes at that level. Using my camera I can confirm the flickering is greatly reduced, and barely detectable with the camera. Running at 3khz Might affect the long term laptop screen durability, but prefer protecting my eyes of any potential effects. So that's the end up story regarding PWM.

For controlling the fan noise I installed the Notebook Fan Control. I couldn't find initially the profile, and then in the newest beta I found the profile for the UX430UQ, which works for this one. After this I was able to maintain fan noise low. I still hear a bit of a whistle, but its not bothering me as much to open the laptop and tie the cable that could be on top of the fan.

I also made the power button do nothing, since I pressed it by mistake a couple of times when I tried to use de DEL key. You can do this in the power options menu>change advanced power settings.

I did get coil whine, when using the trackpad. Doing any movement, or a bit worse when I scroll down. Its a bit annoying in complete silence, but I can live with it. Also a bit of noise when using the SSD. According to others reports if I installed a new SSD, this noise would be gone. But not sure if I want to spend money in an NVME, where the higher speeds are barely noticeable during normal use, or replace the solid existing options. Both track-pad and ssd coil whine are nothing major.

The speakers are great. I haven't such good laptop speakers in a while, it even has some bass. Also the screen is sturdier than any other laptop screen I´ve used, so there is very little wobble.

Overall I am quite happy with the laptop. It will become my daily driver. Needs a couple of tweaks here and there, and you are good to go. I usually use two external screens and its great you can connect two via micro-hdmi and type c DP port. I hate that other new laptops require dongles for everything, to connect you USB A mouse, to connect to a screen, to use an SD card. I think this laptop has enough ports for my needs so I don't have to carry dongles around.

The only thing missing is increasing the thermal limit of the GPU and it would be a great machine. Hopefully this gets released soon!

Also, I wanted to install a "permanent" micro sd on the laptop to increase the storage, using a shorter micro SD card adapter. I measured the SD card reader around 16mm. I tried looking for a good adapter and only found these two that could fit:

https://www.amazon.com/8MOBILITY-Al...rd_wg=jQwdr&psc=1&refRID=RFPYCYE2N640T43VT3TQ

https://www.amazon.com/aluminum-mic...sr=8-1&keywords=short+sd+card+adapter+zenbook

But both apparently reduce the speed of the reader. Any other alternatives? I found this that could fit (https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Je...-fkmr1&keywords=short+sd+card+adapter+zenbook), but it seems way overpriced.

Also for those who wanna read more on the laptop, here is a very detailed review in a Polish site (https://www.purepc.pl/notebooki/test_asus_zenbook_ux430u_core_i78550u_i_mx150_na_pokladzie) Just google translate it. He also mentions the problem with the throttling.

4. Antonio Maria Guerra

Antonio Maria Guerra Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Alejo!

Many many many thanks for your help about pwm, I will use the tool and check if I still get headaches!

One info pls: I'm going to put a shortcut to the pwm tool in the Windows startup directory. Do you know how to keep the 3000hz setting?

Many thanks again!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    alejo099 likes this.
  5. alejo099

Reputations:
    Hi,

Just run it once at 3khz, add the shortcut to startup, keep it running and then restart. Then the next time you start the computer it starts automatically at the rate you last ran it at. You screen will briefly flash before it starts. I tried and it works for me. Let me know how it went with your headaches, I´m interested to check if it works for you

Alejo

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. Yewww

Yewww Newbie

Reputations:
    is anyone else having a problem with the trackpad upon waking up from sleep?
    my trackpad does not work upon waking up from sleep, my keyboard works though

7. dakooga

dakooga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The finger print reader doesn't seem to work for me after waking up. I haven't spent time debugging it though.

@alejo099 I did notice the speed difference with an nvme drive. Especially when loading bigger games. Course I can't really play those games quite yet.

I did play about with The Division (everything on low... runs along at about 25-30 frames) the base gets really hot though and of course does a chug-a-lug frequently for a few seconds... I had added a few pads on the GPU and run of piping to the fan and fan area so it's basically now in contact with the base plate.

~koog

8. PaulDownUnder

PaulDownUnder Newbie

Reputations:
    I also bought this laptop and cannot believe how bad the throttling is! Literally goes from 1400 MHz down to 150mhz when it hits 74 degrees. It’s continually jolting and jarring. Tried quite a few games and different profiles on ThrottleStop.

Also could only get the i5 down by -30mv. My guess is the 8 series are tightly tuned from factory as I’ve tried a few and they all undervolt poorly compared with 6 and 7 series.

It’s shocking that they even allowed this sort of hardware to be released. It’s completely useless for gaming. Using the integrated intel 620 gives much better (stable, reliable) results.

Very disappointed. Also mine was manufactured 11/17.

Paul

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 7:07 AM
  9. ApexBeats

ApexBeats Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought this Laptop a few days ago.

Swapped in a Samsung NVME SSD (512 GB)

Read/write speed with the standard SanDisk was about 450/450 mbps (Read/Write), something like that.

Now its around 1400/1400 mbps (Read/Write)

Haven't been throttle testing on it yet, just did a Clean Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on the new disk.

10. viciouskayen

viciouskayen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seriously, Of course its not great at gaming its a bloody ultrabook for god sakes and with a MX150 its meant for light usage with multimedia capabilities