Asus UX430UN i7-8550u, 150MX GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD $999 Costco.com

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Nov 3, 2017.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Undervolting, CPU rarely exceeds 85C even at load. Fan doesn't run all the time with basic Windows tasks.

I looked at the XZiaomi Mi as well, but I hate glossy screens and only has 8GB RAM, granted it is DDR4 and not LPDDR3 like the UX430UN, but also Xioami has only i5 instead of i7 CPU.

2. Moksu

Moksu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,

Has there been throttling problems like this before in Asus laptops? Did they manage to fix those or did they just release a statement 'it's a feature, deal with it' ?

Since i am highly considering about buying this laptop.. (Since the i5 with 8 gb ram version is on sale for 999€)

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    There have been reports of the new BIOS fixing the GPU thermal throttling, but but no real confirmation and updated BIOS hasn't been released yet.

If you're OK with a glossy screen check out the Xiaomi mi as mentioned above.

GearBest (not sure if ships to Europe) has the Xiaomi Mi Air 13.3" with i5-7200U + 8GB DDR4 + 256GB PCIe M.2 SSD + GeForce 150MX + 1080P LCD (matte but glossy glass cover) for ~ $780USD
    https://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_648196.html?wid=21

Just note that you will have to provide your own Windows 10 license since it comes in Chinese Wijndows only.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  4. Kjetil95

Kjetil95 Newbie

Reputations:
    I was taking about the pro version which is a 15.6" version. Not as portable as the asus machine, weights around 1.9kg, but has superior cooling performance and it has a 256gb nvme drive included. You can get the i7 and 16gb version with the pro version. You can install a fresh windows 10 from a usb stick and keep the windows 10 license that you get with the machine. It has a glossy screen and it is a bit risky buying from china if something goes wrong with it. I will wait and see if the bios update fixes the gpu throttling before I make a decision

5. fischju

fischju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh yea, I'm sure at 15.6" laptop is going to have superior cooling. Ultrabooks really only have the room for one heatpipe and fan, any 13.3" is going to get hotter because the same chips are crammed into less space. I opted for the 13.3" because of the size and portability, I'm not planning to use it for gaming when I'm not at home with the cooling pad. For that it's great, amazing screen, good keyboard, speakers, general build, etc. If you don't mind a 15.6" laptop, I'd size up. Just not to a glossy screen (personal preference)

HTWingNut likes this.
  6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Right. It comes down to portability. I'd bump up to a 15" or 17" any day as my daily driver for heavy loads, and I have one just for that. But for portability, I want a small, thin, light machine, that can game if I need it to. For $1200 you can find 15" laptops with a 1050 Ti if you're going to go that route.

7. Kjetil95

Kjetil95 Newbie

Reputations:
    Still a bit disappointing that asus did not manage to fit a dual fan setup, my current zenbook ux32ln 13.3" has dual fan setup and even has room for a 2.5" drive and weights about 1.35kg. It has a i5 4200u and 840m and is able to maintain max clocks without throttling. These components have the same TDP as i5 8250u and mx150

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    To be honest dual fan setup doesn't always equate to better cooling than a single fan, depends on overall airflow and cooling power of heatsink/heatpipe design.

Look at UX32LN fan size:

[​IMG]

versus UX430UN fan size:

[​IMG]

Those two little fans and heatsinks take up only about 25% the depth of the laptop. The UX430UN takes up half the depth of the laptop.

Honestly with undervolting and a little tuning of the CPU it runs reasonably cool. It's the darn 73C temp limit that kills the GPU. If that could run until 92C we would be golden. Even if you keep the CPU reasonably cool though by undervolting/clocking, it's hard to maintain the GPU under 73C.

9. fischju

fischju Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Over the last few days I've done a lot of experimentation with thermal pads in this machine, because it's so easy to pop the back off. First I removed all the pads I put before, over things like the voltage regulator and VRAM, and shunted the entire heatpipe against the case. This did wonders for the GPU temps, I maintained full clocks and even a 100mhz overclock with the GPU getting around 71 or 72C. But it wreaked havoc on CPU clocks. Even 5 or 10 seconds it would drop down to 800mhz because of all that extra heat. My cooling pad wasn't sufficient to remove all the heat, the fans are pretty slow. Then I removed it all and put it on the GPU, basically the same problem. I settled on a square over the CPU, removed the two tiny pads on it already, and reached a happy medium where my cooling pad is able to remove more heat from the interior than before, and clocks stabilize around 1450-1500mhz. Still waiting for that BIOS...

10. viciouskayen

viciouskayen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If any one is interested to know, If you upgrade the unit to the fall creators edition of win 10 , the power consumption increases by about 40% but if you do a fresh install of the edition it goes back to normal, this was tested with chrome streaming youtube at 50% brightness @ about 5w but before the fresh install it was up near 9w