Asus UX32vd owners lounge.

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Hendrickson, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no66

no66 Newbie

Reputations:
    New UX32VD owner here. Stock W8, HDD and ram. Have a 8 Gb stick ready, but will wait untill I get a Samsung SSD.

Very pleased with the machine but stuggling to see the logic in W8!

Biggest letdown is the Wifi, even close to the router the connection is not stable or fast. Took 7 attemts to download a legit 107Mb file.
    Running a D-Link 655 router that I'm pretty sure is set up correctly. Any ideas?

BTW sunny d, there is not void sticker on mine and I've read that opening the bottom does not void the warrenty.

2. -Sweeper_

-Sweeper_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. ndat

ndat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you guys think the laptop is going to be good for video editing / pic editing?

I am going into computer science and need a good stable laptop. Should I go with this or a macbook pro with a ssd and ram upgrade as well?

4. dunces

dunces Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm using it for heavy video editing with Avid Media Composer 6 and Premiere CS6. Even if they run off the 5400rpm HDD, they are very responsive and works just great! (I have my OS on the build in 24GB iSSD).

I also have a Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 that I got from the school. The Zenbook feels just as fast even if it's 1kg lighter or so. And the screen is just sublime. Much better than the Macbook.

Can't say much about long term stability, but the Zenbook runs cooler than the Macbook. The Macbook can hit temps of almost 100C on the CPU while working.. The Zenbook on the other hand hovers around 75-80c while doing heavy encoding. It should translate to good stability.

5. ndat

ndat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome man! I'm deff getting a zenbook then!

6. msmcintosh

msmcintosh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My Graphics subscore is 4.4. Is this subscore normal? It seems kind of low to me.

I installed the latest Intel driver and got a subscore of 4.4. Thinking that my subscore had been higher, before doing this, I reinstalled the Asus driver. Reran the assessment and my subscrore was still 4.4. I could have sworn that may Graphics subscrore, before installing the latest Intel driver, was in the 5.x range, but I don't remember for sure.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3517U CPU @ 1.90GHz 7.1
    Memory (RAM) 10.0 GB 7.4
    Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 4.4
    Gaming graphics 1664 MB Total available graphics memory 6.4
    Primary hard disk 97GB Free (150GB Total) 8.1
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

7. jwtrustman

jwtrustman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Weird on the wifi problems. I actually had the same experience on a wired connection for a few days. Failed dls I've never had before. Seems to have stabilized though.

W8 though has been an experience! Still miss the start button, but the speed, especially at startup is worth the minor annoyances. And Office 2013 is awesome.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

8. spicydicy

spicydicy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all, been surfing the forums for a while, have finally decided to step into the "real mans" laptops, and picked one of these guys up, as my old timelinex has seen better days.

i picked up a vd with windows8 already installed, an 8gb Mushkin CAS11 RAM, and an intel 520 240gb ssd.

My issue is that im not very familiar with upgrades, other than just the swapping out of ram, and am not sure the steps to follow to get win8 onto the new ssd along with all the necessary drivers. if anyone could give a newbie some direction, in lehmans terms, or perhaps a few links as to where to go, i would be hugely thankful.

9. jwtrustman

jwtrustman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Easiest way to upgrade is from the Microsoft site. It will mostly do the job for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

10. divesong2010

divesong2010 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Stardock.com to put the start button back. I believe it costs 5.00. I'm very happy with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.