Asus UX32vd owners lounge.

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Hendrickson, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    While we have a big thread of the UX31A-UX32vd ivy bridge Ultrabooks I feel the UX32vd needs its own thread. Its a different beast from the UX31A. Here is a place for UX32vd ONLY owners to discuss their system.

Handy info:

Windows 8:

Windows 8 works very well on the UX32vd. No real issues. Its recommended that you update your bios to 211 which officially supports windows 8.

In Windows 8 the ambient light sensor will adjust the screen brightness up or down two notches from your setting according to your ambient light source.

After the bios 211 update there is something in the device manger that is Unkown, no drivers can be found and I think it maybe the light sensor. However it seems to be working? I'm sure when Windows 8 is officially released Asus will have drivers.

Sections:

Upgrades and Mods

Benchmarks

2. Hendrickson

Reputations:
    Stock 3D Mark 2011 score and temps: (4GB RAM)

[​IMG]

Overclocked 3D mark 2011 score on stock 4GB RAM:

[​IMG]

Its clear that Nvidia have under clocked the 620m heavily to reduce its heat output. With my repaste job I now have some headroom to overclock. Using MSI afterburner I was able to overclock.

The GPU hit 81 degrees, this is on IC Diamond 7, i don't recommend overclocking on the stock compound or your GPU might get too hot.

3Dmark 2011 score: P1413

NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M video card benchmark result - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3517U CPU @ 1.90GHz,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. UX32VD score: P1413 3DMarks

This gives me about 6-7 fps increase in gaming....

Heaven benchmark.

Stock and then overlocked GPU
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Hendrickson

Reputations:
    Reserved Asus UX32vd Upgrades:

RAM:

The Asus UX32vd has a removable base unlike the ux31A, allowing the user to upgrade the RAM. 1 removable 2GB stick is installed, and can be replaced with a 4GB or 8GB module. 8GB 1600Mhz CL 11 or better is recommended.

There are some tradeoffs in running 10GB single channel Vs true dual channel in the stock 4GB config. However its very little, if your video editing or using photoshop, Multi tabbing and multi browsing having more than 4GB will help.

HDD

The hard drive included with the UX32vd is a 500GB 5400 spindle drive, its slow and really this machine is asking for a true SSD not just an iSSD.

If you do plan to upgrade, the max height is 7mm, most SSD's are 9mm (OCZ vertex etc) Samsung 830 series is a recommend drive that is only 7mm thin. And with fix without being modded.

Other good 7mm drive is a Crucial M4, but make sure its the 7mm one.

If your planning to use a 9mm drive you will need to open it up and void your warrenty, if you happen to do this then you will need to remove the top plate of the SSD housing. And then using double sided tape, stick the back plate to the drive.

(Photos and details coming soon of my OCZ Vertex 4 128GB swap)

Mod / Improvement for experienced re-pasters.

Redo the thermal paste on the Asus UX32vd CPU and GPU

4. tasmonkey

tasmonkey Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Interested in becoming an owner.

Where did you guys purchase yours? and How much?

5. Hendrickson

Reputations:

Hi, brought mine from ExcaliburPC.com for $1299.

Repasting the CPU and GPU heat sinks with IC Diamond 7.

Doing this will VOID your warranty, and the effects are minimal on the CPUs heat, however if your like me. Then this is something I do to all my notebooks as I don't trust the job the do in the factory. This did lower my Nvidia's GPU temp by 6 degrees on both idle and load high benchmark temps. I've repasted over 5 notebooks now without issues. Only do this if your experienced and know what your doing!

I used IC diamond 7 for this repaste, Artic silver 5 would also be good or any other top thermal compound.

First open up the back case using a torx screw driver. Remove all the torx screws, and the case just lifts off.

Locate the heat pipe and unscrew all 6 screws. then lift it up and off. Clean the old grease off with alcohol wipes. I used Arctic Clean which works well. Don't forget to clean the copper heat sinks!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

On the GPU (to you right and the small die) Use a small pea size amount of paste.
    On the CPU die (To your right and larger) use a rice sized amount of paste in the middle of the CPU.

Stock temps after 3D mark 2011 run and Temps with 3D mark 2011 using IC diamond 7. Room temp was 26 degrees both tests.

Improvements:

CPU 1 degree less idle and full load temp.
    GPU 6 degrees less on both idle and max load !! Big improvement there... Your millage may vary. I can't say if you will see improved temps or not. Its the risk you take.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Indisium

Indisium Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I've had my UX32-VD for some weeks now, and I'm pretty satisfied.

However, today I discovered that my unit might have some problems with it's integred Sandisk i100 SSD. I can't find it in Windows Disk Management, or SIW, CPU-Z or HWiNFO32 as I can see.

Here is a Print Screen showing 3 different programs indicating the iSSD is either defect or just don't mounted:
    View attachment 81160

Do anyone have any suggenstions for how I can solve this on my own, without having to send in the unit? Because I really don't want all the efford with reinstalling everything on a new unit....

7. Hendrickson

Reputations:
    Hi Indisium, does it show up in the bios and before you did the clean install was it there?

8. Indisium

Indisium Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, it don't show in the BIOS. I have never done a clean install, the system is like it was when i got the computer. I can't find the drive when booting in PartedMagic either...

9. Hendrickson

Reputations:
    If no software is making it show up it sounds like you do have an issue. Send the system back....

10. Hendrickson

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.