Asus UX32VD or Samsung NP900X3C

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by warpain, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warpain

warpain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, I'm debating between these two ultrabooks, although I leave the door open if something interesting pops up. I'll post pro & cons to make it easier.

Both are great looking so aesthetic is a draw. I think Samsung's has better and more solid construction but I'm not sure on this one.

What I want
    - Nice display and big resolution (900p or more)
    - It's portable because I'm going to carry it with me everyday.
    - Long battery
    - Comfortable keyboard and touchpad, I'm going to type a lot.

What I don't care
    - i5 or i7 will do it just fine. I don't need a lot of power (office work, web brosing, films, virtual machines, etc.)
    - I'm probably not gaming much at all so the dedicated graphics card is not needed. I guess Intel's HD4000 will handle just fine if I ever play some Fifa or L4D2.

Asus Zenbook UX32VD

Pros
    - Bigger resolution (1080p)
    - Better processor (i7 3517U 1.9GHz)
    - Upgradeable (both RAM 10GB max. and HDD/SSD)
    - Dedicated graphics (nvidia GT620M)
    - More connectors (3 USB 3.0, full HDMI port)
    - VGA adaptor and cover included in the box

Cons
    - It weights more (3.2lbs/1.5kg)
    - Mechanical Hard Drive, although is 500GB + 24GB iSSD.
    - German layout (QWERTZ instead of QWERTY) That's the only available where I live and I'm not buying off USA.

Price is 1050€

Samsung Series 9 NP900X3C

Pros
    - It's lighter (2.55lbs/1.16kg)
    - 128GB SSD
    - QWERTY layout (this is a pro since the Asus comes with another keyboard layout)

Cons
    - Lower resolution (1600x900)
    - Worse hardware overall (i5 3317U, Intel HD4000)
    - No RAM upgrade (4GB), just SSD.

Price is 970€

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Between those two I'd pick the Samsung. 13" 1080p will make for some awfully small text. The ThinkPad X1C might be worth a look too. The screen isn't as nice, but it's got the best ultrabook keyboard I've used.

3. tranquility1337

tranquility1337 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    asus hands down

4. csj0952

csj0952 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am in between these two as well and I have heard the bezel on the samsung is less noticable as well. I'm not sure if this makes the actual machine smaller than Asus slightly. Do you know? I have typed on both machines and I think the asus keyboard is slightly better for my taste but I am not ruling out the samsung just yet.

The Lenovo X1C is overpriced compared to these both.

5. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would say samsung until Asus gets their QA right. If you do get the Asus, make sure to get one from a store with a good return policy, you'll either get a perfectly fine unit or one with a few problems. If you want to know what i'm talking about, just hit the Asus forums on NBR. There are enough complaints for it not to just be the usual problem blown out of proportion on a forum.

6. MattLangley

MattLangley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd say the Asus... and that's definitely biased because I chose the ux32vd myself and am loving it. I would suggest going with something like Amazon which has a good return policy since others have had to cycle through a unit or so to get passed the quality control. With that said I ordered one for my wife and myself and both of ours came out just fine (realizing the light bleed to some extent is the price you play for the quality of screen).

As far as text size that really hasn't been a problem (and my vision isn't the best) for me... Browsers scale quite well with text, so do any sort of typing based apps (word processors, coding apps etc). And a decent amount of the Windows UI scales decently. Despite that even when I see small text it's crisp enough because of the pixel density to still be legible. You can always go to a store and try out the 1080p at 13" on a ux31a, since those are often in Best Buys' etc, and contain the same resolution option.

Quite honestly my biggest reason for not going to the Samsung is that being able to upgrade to 10gb of RAM is a huge plus, especially since I like to have many apps open at the same time.

7. warpain

warpain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would buy the Asus off Amazon Germany because it isn't available in my country anymore. It's Amazon but if I get a bad unit it would be a pain in the *** to ship it to Germany.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.