ASUS UX32A Fan Goes On, Off, On, Off.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by xGary, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jostsan

jostsan Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the same computer and the same OS than you with the 215 Bios but the problem was unfortunately there.

Hope this problem will be solved for good on your computer.

I sent mine back today and i'll come back to report if the problem is solved on the new unit.

However, i think that the asus smart gesture driver is not really good and makes the CPU works for nothing. Try to monitor the CPU speed (wich changes depending the work load on ivy bridge) while scrolling with two finger : you will see that each time you do this the cpu goes to very high frequency. But still, even if the cpu is at 50 °, the fan should blow really slowly, so i guess the asus driver is not directly involved in this problem...

2. ole85

ole85 Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't know if this is the thread to ask this, but im going anyway :) Will the system take damage if it's overheated for a long time (my UX32VD feel very hot)? If yes, what kind of damage?

3. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
  4. Quindor

Quindor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just wanted to give a quick heads up to people in this topic. It's been mentioned before but never really as "THE" solution.

From my testing and conclusions the Asus Smart Gesture software is causing the 100% minimum proccessor state problem and thus generating extra heat which can cause the Fan problems as discussed in this topic. If you are suffering from this problem, please check to see if you have this problem. Please see this post in another topic for all the information and also for (a lot) newer version of the elantouch drivers then asus supplies.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-reviews-owners-lounges/695704-asus-u500vz-ux51vz-owners-lounge-23.html#post8964943

5. kpng

kpng Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I suspect that it could be a solution for a few people, because issues reported by OP and other members caused by something other than an OS process consuming 100% of CPU once in a while.

I've tested preinstalled Windows 7, Windows 8, Ubuntu 12.10, Linux Mint 13, and Linux Mint 14 in many installations on my device and I can say that it's not an OS or software problem, it's hardware and/or BIOS problem, because fans behave similarly in any configuration.

6. gadzooks64

gadzooks64 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would agree that it is the Smart Gesture causing the 100% CPU setting and therefore the increase in fans. I uninstalled that driver/utility and found my fans went off far less often but I also decided I couldn't live without a functioning touchpad.

Will the driver linked to in that thread work on the UX31? I suppose it can't hurt to try.

7. shotgunner

shotgunner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the UX32VD with the 212 bios. My fan is constantly going on, off, on off. I went into the advanced power settings and turned the fan setting from active to passive in both modes. This did not appear to fix the problem. Has any progress been made with this issue? Have we heard back from ASUS?

8. dunces

dunces Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    A UX32VD owner on a Swedish forum said that he got in contact with the Asus support in Sweden regarding the fan on-off issue.

They actually confirmed that the R&D has looked into it, and that it is fixed on the next BIOS update. It should be rolling out soon.

Hope they got it right!

9. shotgunner

shotgunner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you for the update! Any idea what the word "soon" means? End of the week or end of the month?

10. OnlySkills

OnlySkills Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey Quindor, I uninstalled my Asus SmartGesture drivers completely. Then I reset my Power Saver plan to default, giving me the normal 5% minimum and 100% maximum processor rate.

After rebooting a couple of times, I am afraid I still have the same problem. The fans kick in randomly, but mainly when I am viewing videos, the fans will kick in for sure. Not as high as before, but they do still go on and off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.