1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

ASUS UX32A Fan Goes On, Off, On, Off.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by xGary, Sep 11, 2012.

1. infoMatt

infoMatt Notebook Consultant

Mine did the same (UX32VD, Italian version), 'till this morning! The only things I've done was checking and un-checking a couple of times the "Auto fan speed" option in SpeedFan... :confused:

Now it'll read the correct fan speed (now 3374RPM and it is dead silent)... I didn't do anything related, besides carry the laptop to University, leaving on the car floor for ~50km (~30 miles)...

Two reasons:
    1) Something in speedfan fixed the issue, or
    2) some cables inside are loose, and carring it around will let them making a good electrical contact...

Someone with the fan problem might try this...

2. fredfbe

fredfbe Notebook Enthusiast

Hello all,

I would like to share my experience with my new UX31A-R4003X (EU version, core i7 and 256Gb SSD), where I encountered same kind of fan issue after standby / resume.

I have find out that, not knowing why, the minimum processor state is always (re)set to 100% (whatever the active Power4Gear profile is and the previous minimal state was).

Which means my Intel core i7 was always running at max speed = fan goes ON and OFF all the time in "passive" management, and ON nearly all time with "active" fan management enable.

Only solution I have find out so far after a standby / resume:
    - 1. go to Win7 advanced power options
    - 2. reset processor minimal state to 0% or 5% (for the active power profile), instead of 100%

Then fan is back to normal :thumbsup:

Hope Asus will supply a fix soon...

3. CSBM5

CSBM5 Newbie

I checked my UX31A-DB51 tonight, and on resuming from sleep, it is of course still exhibiting the fan speed problem I mentioned in my prior post, but the min processor state is at 5%. :confused: This is the same value it has on a cold boot (when the fan problem is completely non-existent). So at least in this case, that isn't the problem.

This thing runs perfectly on a cold-boot, nice and quiet. Sigh... The only good thing is that it is super fast to cold boot, unreal how fast it is, so that is at least a consolation.

4. fredfbe

Hi,

Where do you get the minimum processor state value ?
    In Windows 7 advanced power options or in Asus Power4Gear application ?

Because I have find out Power4Gear gives a wrong information (ie always 0% or 5% :rolleyes: )
    Where Windows 7 advanced power options tells minimum state 100%...

Will try to upload some screenshots tonight (GMT+1) ;)

5. CSBM5

CSBM5 Newbie

I went to Power Options in Control Panel, clicked on Change power settings then clicked Change advanced power settings. Next a scrollable window opens up, and I navigated to Processor Power Management, clicked the "+" sign, clicked the "+" sign on Minimum Processor State and then viewed the setting it showed.

6. fredfbe

Ok, you look at the right place then :)

Just though about something else I have modified: still in the Windows 7 advanced power options, I have enabled the "Intel DPTF", which is disabled by default in most of the Power4Gear profiles (except one if I remember correctly).

I will post exact modified entries and screenshots tonight ;)

7. CSBM5

CSBM5 Newbie

Ok, excellent! I will look at my laptop tonight (NY time) and see what it shows in that regard.

8. fredfbe

Ok, my mistake I have turn on option "Intel DPST" (Display Power Saving Technology) under entry "ASUS P4G Power Setting / Intel DPST Control".
    This option has nothing to do with processor or fan... Sorry !

About my "minimum processor state" issue, if I encounter it I will post one screenshot but so far tonight, no issue :p (note: I have changed and saved my power configuration through Asus Power4Gear application this time, instead of modifying it directly in Windows 7 advanced power options panel)

Must said I have a "recently build" UX31A as it was shipped with bios 212 on it, so if it is one hardware fault, it has been corrected as my fan goes well :)

9. restlessx86

restlessx86 Newbie

Hi guys!

This is now my third UX32VD. Its a really nice piece of hardware, but the fans drive me crazy.

I found this little program named NBFC here to override the fans default values: [Vorstellung] NoteBook FanControl (NBFC) - ComputerBase Forum
    Its a german forum but there is also an english description and the program itself is also in english.

I tried it out and it works quite good, but there is one issue: If the fan reaches about 50°C the fan controller overrides the values from NBFC for a second, the fan goes on for that second and right after that the NBFC values kick in and override the fan controller's values again. I have asked the developer of NBFC if he could help me out with this but in the meantime someone else could try this out.

I tried this with the Intel DPTF installed and not installed. Nothing really helped to get rid of the override.

Edit: I also got this response from the support:

"Dear Mr. ...,

thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Support, the Fan was not controlled by the Bios it was controlled through the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework.

Please Update the Software to the latest Version, this should solve the problem.

http://nbtsd.asustreiber.de/Tools/DPTF_V6.0.5.1080.zip"

Unfortunately this does not help at all.

10. micrascan

micrascan Newbie

Great support from ASUS as usual:confused: I had same fan cycling problem on my UX31a after sleep mode. I installed new BiOS version 215 from the same link NB-TSD Download. No fan cycling during last 24 hours with /DPTF_V6.0.5.1080.zip installed. Need more observation.

11. restlessx86

restlessx86 Newbie

The story goes on..

After I told the support guy that his mentioned solution doesnt work at all, he suggested to make a RMA request (of courese, standard solution for everything at Asus). I refused and said that I want to know, why it should be a hardware related problem and not a software related one because Asus has just really moronic programmers (not exactly my words). He also refused to give me the contact details of his boss or the next higher instance. He basically suggested to open a RMA ticket or to get my money back from my dealer and not buy it any more.

Are they kidding me? Is this how you treat customers with device related problems nowadays? I dont believe that Apple does this (actually I know they dont do this) and if Asus wants to be so much like Apple, they should consider acting in a different ways regarding such issues.

Morons..this is definitly my last Asus notebook if they dont get their sh*t together.

@Micrascan: any news on your fan behaviour? Maybe the new Bios is working better. Unfortunately there is no update for the UX32VD.

12. micrascan

micrascan Newbie

Looks like new BIOS solved cycling problem. My battery life improved too.

13. iatacs19

iatacs19 Notebook Consultant

I have the same issue with the fan. I did a clean install of win7 x64 DPTF V6.0.5.1080 with and it didn't help.
    I am sure ASUS can edit the fan profile to kick in at a slightly higher temperature threshold like 55C instead of 47C.
    Otherwise everything is working really well with the 256GB Samsung SSD and the 10GB RAM upgrade.

14. tetrismaster

tetrismaster Notebook Consultant

Oh good, let us know if you get any developments on this! This is actually perfect, since Speedfan can't control the zenbook fans. Good find! I'll be trying this out.

15. restlessx86

restlessx86 Newbie

according to the programmer of NBFC, there might be a register, where you could set the ec to manual fan speeds instead of the automatic ones from asus..

unfortunately I was not able to find that register yet..maybe someone could help me out?

16. infoMatt

infoMatt Notebook Consultant

Mine after doing that thing with speedfan has completely stopped doing erratic behaviour... neither using Windows, nor Linux... during usual light usage (office activities and web browsing) fans are going from off to ~3400RPM... no more "air dryer" problem :D

17. corban

corban Newbie

Could someone tell me how to download the latest BIOS from the Asus website? I'm having fan noise trouble too...really annoying!! It wasn't there for the first month but in the last week or two, the fan starts up when i'm doing daily non stressful tasks such as checking email or even just browsing the internet.

I downloaded the Bios 212 from the Asus website (for the UX31A) and then tried to extract the zipped file. Apparently the file can't be read?? Also, how do you know what Bios version you have?? Thanks!! Any help would be much appreciated!!

18. corban

corban Newbie

Never mind!! I figured out how to install the updated Bios (using the Sticky on the notebook board). However, i don't think the fan noise has resolved....it has maybe, possibly gotten slightly softer but that's about it.....

19. cl-jeffrey

cl-jeffrey Company Representative

I just got word from headquarters that they want to help resolve the fan issue. They need you to describe the problem in detail. What programs are you using and what you think needs to be modified to resolve the fan issue.

20. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Witty

..well, at least you're honest about it. Props for that :D

It's probably going to be enough to either:
    1. Change the trip-points for the fans up to 55 degrees, and lower the max speed to 70-75%.
    or
    2. Disable the overrides in the bios, enable the external module (there's a specific function in the bios), and use that program interface to control the steps for the fans. Could for example gradually turn it up for every 10 degrees over 55 degrees. (From what I can see - both solutions are actually implemented already, but they need to be tweaked..).

--------

By the way - think you could possibly encourage some sort of effort on the bios-settings for the ram timing as well? That does concern 100% of Asus' laptops, after all.. And I really want to get those 1.35v ram sticks installed this year, if possible.