Asus UX31E Zenbook/Ultrabook Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GuywithSocks, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HH2O

HH2O Newbie

Reputations:
    My SD MMC card reader is not working. Cannot read the SD disk. It recognizes that a disk is in the slot but noting happens. Currently on Windows 8 Realtek driver installed. Also, the sd card goes in half way not all the way like on other laptops. I can use the USB slot with a MMC multi card reader and the SD disk brings up the pictures.

2. sammywammy

sammywammy Newbie

Reputations:
    My UX31E seems to hang quite frequently while changing the volume. The volume icon that appears in the middle of the screen sometimes sits there for up to a minute.

3. rileyz

rileyz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Humm, did you just get the laptop? Alright, you are asking a stupid question regarding the SDcard slot..anyway, it only goes in half way up - thats it. With Windows 8, its not supported by Asus yet? In saying that most of the apps/drivers work, but I have problems with the SDcard as well, I think you will need to wait for a Win8 driver. Mine comes on sometimes, othertimes it dosent know what the device it, it sucks. I suspect its a I/O, IRQ or USB clash with the webcam.

*just checked on Asus, the drivers are up, hooray!
    ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS ASUS ZENBOOK UX31E

4. shawnee4885

shawnee4885 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I just dropped my UX31E and the LCD cracked... huge bummer. I'm looking for replacement LCDs online, but all the online stores seem to be out of stock of this LCD... anyone know where I can find one?

Better yet, does anyone know where I can find the upgraded 1080p IPS panel that is used on the Zenbook Prime? Will this work on the UX31E?

Thank you!

5. racer_x124

racer_x124 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bump for this. Friend just broke theirs and local place wants 500+ to replace it.

6. xplane9

xplane9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone had luck in getting their Sentelic touchpad replaced with the Elantech one? Also, do your Zenbooks make a high pitched whining sound from somewhere inside the chassis?

7. sethsethseth

sethsethseth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I want to get an external battery for a UX31A. Is there a power tip I can order for this yet? This is the only thread I can find about the power connector plug. Is it the same plug on the UX31E?

This thread on anandtech indicates that the connector is thicker than previous zenbooks:
    AnandTech - ASUS Zenbook Prime (UX21A) Review: The First of the 2nd Gen Ultrabooks

8. Parcjurassien

Parcjurassien Newbie

Reputations:
    UX31 SCREEN IS TOO DELICATE!

Hi All, I bought the UX31E Zenbook a few months ago, thinking it would be perfect for travelling. Most standard notebooks these days are HUGE, and very heavy. Whereas the airlines can get very prissy about the hand luggage you take on board.

If you want to use the UX31E for this, my advice is don't bother. After taking the laptop on a few trips, permanent lines became evident on the screen. I talk to ASUS support, who said no problem, just send it back under warranty. However after they received it, they then turned round and said is was cracked and not covered by the guarantee! So I use it normally - I can assure you it was not dropped nor mistreated in any way - but they still refused to repair it as they should.

This PC is basically a toy, and you can't do anything useful with it, and especially it is too delicate to take with you when you travel. Furthermore the support people are jerks and their warranty is worthless.

My advice is: buy a proper notebook from one of the reputable suppliers. At least they'll repair it when something goes wrong.

9. yayo685

yayo685 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh man, I used to work at multiple PC repair shops, now I work as an IT Analyst for a large company. I always, always, always tell my folks to carry on their laptops. The folks that do the luggage on most airlines will abuse the crap out of what you have and not give a crap while doing it. Even if you buy a high end laptop case, my company uses high end thinkpads, they still come back destroyed.

10. yayo685

yayo685 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They do sell replacement batteries for our laptops that you need to take the bottom panel out and change the battery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.