1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus UX31A Fresh Install Guide

Discussion in 'Asus' started by yinyangtkd, Jul 29, 2012.

1. yinyangtkd

yinyangtkd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I chose to do this because of my experience with laptop drivers in the past. Truth is, quite often your immediate manufacturer doesn't pull updates from the oem of the individual part, so quite often there is a driver which is newer and works better, if you just get it from the source.

I realize this means my guide will quickly become out of date (since I directly linked a few drivers), but at the time it was accurate, and if you are savvy and have the time, I recommend finding the newest drivers yourself from the Intel and Realtek sites for most of the hardware, and Asus for a few stragglers.

I didn't change anything in bios to get IRST to work. The process was really just create the partition in the disk management console, change the parition ID via command prompt, and install the intel driver. You can tell it is working if the installer doesn't error out, and you no longer have the unknown device in the device manager.

I haven't tried Windows 8 yet because I don't know that it gains me anything at this point. I'm not a particular fan of the interface, and as of now there is no new directx version that requires it. It took enough work to get my clean install how I wanted it, that I'm in no big hurry to upgrade.

2. grant3

grant3 Newbie

Reputations:
    I did all of that, but it seems to not work. Do i need to install additional software?

Now when I close the lid and re-open it, nothing happens when I open the lid. I have to press the power button.

Edit: Fixed.
    a) re-install intel graphics drivers ... this enables "sleep" option
    b) configure windows to "sleep" when lid closed

3. grant3

grant3 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've created an ISO for installing on the UX31A. It's got
    - a few hundred MS updates
    - MS Security essentials
    - mail & messenger
    - .Net 4.5
    - All the drivers
    - USB Charger+

If anyone wants a copy, let me know. it's about 4gig so we'd need a place to store it for downloads.

4. ss7877

ss7877 Newbie

Reputations:
    What OS is there? Win 7 Pro or Home Premium? Do you have a problem with loud fan noise?

5. grant3

grant3 Newbie

Reputations:
    home premium (what came with mine) and i've never had a problem with the fan.

6. Kuky

Kuky Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    My UX31A came with BIOS 214.

Apparently when doing the clean install routine when you install USB 3.0 drivers it will "brick" your USB connections. Basically you can't connect anything to USB.
    Upgrading to BIOS 215 & clean install solved this.
    Trusted platform module does not appear to have any hardware installed. Has anybody succeded to install it?

Also, when laptop runs on battery, on saving battery power mode, there is a clear screen flicker on bright colors. This is very clear if you install a solid bright color as background and switch to battery (LCD is on 60p Hz). Any ideas?

Regards,
    Cristian

7. the_smarti

the_smarti Newbie

Reputations:
  8. munim

munim Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what I might need to install next to eliminate my last "unknown device in windows 8"? I have installed the following drivers:
    1. Realtek Card reader
    2. intel wifi
    3. intel bluetooth
    4. intel rapid storage
    5. Intel rapid start
    6. intel widi
    7. intel dynamic platform and thermal framework
    8. graphics
    9. Realtek Sound
    10. The atkcpi (or whatever) and smartgesture
    11. Instant ON
    12. Power4gear
    13. Intel chipset drivers
    14. Intel management interface

I'm thinking it should be on of the other ASUS utilities but I'm OCD about what I install and I don't want to install something that I don't actually need. Thanks!

9. Kensaku

Kensaku Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi munim, I'm assuming you've successfully installed windows 8 from the sound of it. I was just wondering if you've also encountered a problem that I have when I installed windows 8 on my UX31A. The problem is with the wireless toggle function key "fn+f2", it doesn't turn on airplane mode (disable the wifi and bluetooth).

First of all I have a UX31A-DB71, and secondly I did not do a completely fresh install.
    I only erased the C partition and did a windows 8 installation there. I did install the ATKCPI and all the other function keys are working. After installing all the drivers except Intel Rapid Start, I upgraded the BIOS form 204 to 212. After all that I noticed the Wifi key's led doesn't turn on and trying to press it I realized it doesn't toggle anymore.
    I've tried installing wireless console 3, the Asus utility that toggles wifi and bluetooth when the fn+f2 key is pressed for windows 7. It does turn the wifi led on now, but the toggle still doesn't work. Asus doesn't seem to have this program in the windows 8 drivers section.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

10. munim

munim Newbie

Reputations:
    Yep, I have the same problem. I had it when I upgraded from Win 7 and when I did a Win 8 clean install.

11. sunburn74

sunburn74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone here know how to perform continuous scrolling with the asus touch pad?

12. the_smarti

the_smarti Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi

I have the same problem. I red that it could be the brightness sensor...
    I also have the FN + F2 problem....

And;..... my biggest problem is the Wireless Display.... It doesn't work with my belkin screencast.
    The WiDi app show me my adaptor in the list but I can't connect my notebook with it, I have the message (in french) "Unable to connect to display".
    Here is my post on Intel support website: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade

Does anybody have this problem ?

Thanks

13. gooberlx

gooberlx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The auto-brightness sensor was detected fine in my ux31a. I also have one unknown device "acpi\atk4001", which none of the available win 8 drivers seem to resolve. Someone elsewhere suggested it could be intel rapid start, though that's also installed and seems to be working correctly with the 4GB partition (super fast resumes from sleep and hibernate).

Beats me what it is. :\

I've also noticed that the certain function keys aren't working: auto-brightness and wifi, for example, despite Asus's ATK hotkeys drivers being installed.

14. munim

munim Newbie

Reputations:
    I checked my unknown device under Win 8 and it's the same unknown as yours :( I have since switched back to Win 7 and I'll give it a go once the driver situation in resolved in Win 8.

15. the_smarti

the_smarti Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey !

Asus has just released the Wireless Console on their website ! No unknows peripheral now !!

Still have my problem with Widi....

16. OnlyOnly0613

OnlyOnly0613 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  17. munim

munim Newbie

Reputations:
    THANKS! I'm back on Win 8 and loving it. Soo fast. The only annoying thing is having the Instant On widget necessitating a taskbar item. Other than that it's great.

18. mickeygarcia

mickeygarcia Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yeah..any list of bloatware to remove? been looking for one..like is power4gear even worth keeping?

19. mickeygarcia

mickeygarcia Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    is your win 8 experience on a point/click good? I was going to wait for the zenbook touch but was waiting for this ux31a for months now to arrive in our local stores..so I purchased it when they arrived last week..kinda late huh....don't want to upgrade to win 8 yet..there aren't many stores here that have lappy's to test out so I am just googling away regarding user experience..

20. munim

munim Newbie

Reputations:
    There are a few quirks, to be honest. Scrolling side to side is a bit too fast, but it's not a deal breaker for me because I'm usually in the desktop mode. In desktop it's not any different from Win 7. Boot times are much improved and the snappiness of the tile / Metro UI is very good.