1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus UX31A Fresh Install Guide

Discussion in 'Asus' started by yinyangtkd, Jul 29, 2012.

1. yinyangtkd

yinyangtkd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A lot of people (including myself) have been clamoring for a guide to doing a fresh Windows 7 install on the new Asus UX31A. I ran into several issues along the way, most annoying of which was the dreaded "missing CD/DVD driver" error at the install screen. I found that the Windows 7 image I was using was just not cooperating, so that was the major obstacle to overcome.

I would recommend creating recovery media (or at least storing the ISOs) with the AI Recovery application already on the machine before starting, just in case.

1. Download the appropriate image from this thread (Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit English for most people)

2. If using an external DVD drive, burn this image to a DVD. If using a thumbdrive, use the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool
    straight from Microsoft to make an installed thumbdrive. I used an 8gb one, but a 4gb *might* do.

3. Insert the appropriate media (DVD or thumdrive), restart your machine, and press escape at POST to select the boot media.

4. Install. I deleted all partitions when given the option, and created 1 new partition. I found out later that my drive was apparently already using MBR, but some other units have been formatted with GPT, so it may be necessary to use another bootable tool to change this before starting.

5. Enter your product key from your power adapter when prompted, and you should have a clean install (with no drivers) ready to go.

6. Drivers: get most recent drivers from the following sources:
    Sound from Realtek (High Definition Audio)
    Card reader from Realtek (5139)
    Video from Intel
    Wireless (6235) from Intel (includes bluetooth)
    USB 3.0 from Intel
    Widi from Intel

The rest of the drivers can be obtained from Asus themselves. The most important ones here are:
    Chipset
    Live Update Utility
    ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities
    Other Asus utilities (Power Option, Splendid, Instant On, Webcam, USB Charge, Asus Wireless Switch, etc.)
    Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver
    Intel Management Engine Interface

And lastly, the tough one: Intel Rapid Start Technology Driver.

7. Install each of these drivers except Intel Rapid Start, one by one, restarting in between.

8. Using this guide, shrink your OS partition by 4gb (4096mb) using disk management, then create and configure a new partition for Intel Rapid Start using diskpart in the command prompt.

Note that you can tell if your disk is MBR or GPT by looking at the output of the "list disk" command. If the GPT column is empty, it is MBR, if it lists something, it is GPT. There is a different final command for each.

Restart your machine, then install the Rapid Start driver. If you tried this before recreating the partition, it gave you an error saying your machine does not meet the requirements. Afterwards it will install fine.

Run the Asus Live update utility to get most recent touchpad drivers, run your Windows updates, and check to make sure it activates once you are online. When I went to activate, it told me my key was invalid, but I re-entered it and it activated clear. I do not know if I mistyped the first time, or if it was being a pest, but it worked.

That should be about it. I may be missing one or two things, but those were the major steps I remember in getting every device in the device manager to recognize properly. I am not familiar with the ins and outs of GPT, so if there are extra steps needed for this, I would be grateful if someone who has done this with that would chime in, because my machine was MBR from the start.

Just a final note here:

My biggest obstacle in getting this started was the "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now." message.

Even with the USB driver from Asus unzipped on my thumbdrive, and pointing the Windows installer at it, I could not get it to accept the driver. I got past this only by download the ISO linked above, and writing that to a thumbdrive using the provided Microsoft tool. If you get this error, some people have succeeded by putting the USB 3.0 driver (unzipped) on their thumbdrive and pointing the installer at it, but I had no such luck. Only a different image rewritten to the thumbdrive got me past it.

Good luck!

EDIT: A note for down the line. Some of the drivers I linked are bound to go out of date. They all worked as of my writing this guide in the first place, but surely some of them will be updated as time goes by. The best course of action is to go through Intel and Realtek for appropriate drivers (the ones I linked to either of those), and Asus for the rest. I will not be updating links down the line, so keep this in mind.

2. ingeniumed

ingeniumed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you have to install intel rapid start technology driver? It sounds like its for hibernating, but if you only do sleep/shutdown/restart then you wouldn't need it and could skip that right?

3. Godhamba

Godhamba Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, this is an extremely helpful post. Thanks so much for sharing your experience - I've been wary of doing a clean install because of obstacles precisely like the kind you mentioned. I'm going to take the plunge and will report back. Two questions:

1. Is there a need to save the 4GB partition with a certain specific name or format or does the Rapid Start driver package simply find and install itself onto the 4GB just because it is there?

2. Have you noticed any fan issues after doing the clean install? I feel lucky that my DB51 does not exhibit any of the fan issues that folks seem to be suffering, and my worry is that by doing a clean install, I risk kicking an introduction of the issue. I know its absurd that I should have to hesitate to install an OS for fear of such a problem, but the fact does remain that no one has yet been able to pinpoint what's causing the fan-cycling issue.

4. yinyangtkd

Reputations:
    1. As for the Intel Rapid Start Technology deal: It is not required. Your computer will run just fine without it. I am not sure what all benefit it provides, but it bothered me to have an unknown device (PCI Simple Communications Controller, if I remember) in device manager. If you want to save the 4gb, you should be able to skip over this, just be aware that you will likely have an unknown device remaining.

There are no obstacles to recreating the partition (you can shrink your OS partition from inside windows easily enough, and you just use command prompt Diskpart to recreate it, no 3rd party programs). There is no specific name for the 4gb partition, but the final step in the provided guide from gigabyte has you set the partition ID to 84, which I can only assume is an arbitrarily ID chosen by Intel specifically for the Rapid Storage driver to find and use.

2. I have not had any fan issues. I replied to another post shortly before righting this one on the same topic. I never hear my fan (even coming out of sleep) during normal use. Speedfan says it is sitting at around 3200rpm, but that is basically silent. I am no using a cooling pad yet, so mine sits on a plain cheapo laminate 'wood' desk.

5. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is a great post. Very important information.

6. beehofer

beehofer Newbie

Reputations:
    I hit a wall with these same errors. I updated the Bios from 204 to 206 and the next try... it worked!

Might be a coincidence but ... i think not :) .

7. bridger71

bridger71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Curious, what was your available space on the SSD immediately after you finished this process?

Great thread by the way!!

8. beehofer

beehofer Newbie

Reputations:
    OP, did you run into an error when installing the Asus update utility saying that "it is only for Asus" machines?

It will not install

UPDATE:
    It was because i was running the install without first extracting the zipped download. Funny that the install started and then failed.

9. yinyangtkd

Reputations:
    Sorry, don't really have that info for you. My guesstimates put it at around 82-85gb free, but I really couldn't tell you.

As far as the errors during install, on my first set of attempts I was already on bios 206, so I don't think it was that for me. The only thing I changed was what image/ISO I used to make the thumbdrive. Originally I had obtained what I thought was an oem image, but it was giving me trouble, so I gave the one I linked a try, and all was good.

10. mmapride

mmapride Newbie

Reputations:
    CONFIRMED!

Updating the drive from 204 to 206 gets past the error. I spent 8 hours on this and called ASUS tech support with no luck. This was the only thing that worked, thank you so much!

11. Godhamba

Reputations:
    yinyangtkd:

Thanks for the fantastic guide! One question - which WiDi driver did you use? The link shows to kinds - one for Netbook and a "regular" one. Given that this is an ultrabook, I wondered if there may be a certain one to choose.

Thanks!

12. Godhamba

Reputations:
    Oh, and a new touchpad driver was released!

13. Godhamba

Reputations:
    I just performed a clean install, and installed all necessary drivers, but excluded some of the ASUS bloat utilities (Webcam Utility, Video Enhancement and the like). I did shrink partition and install the Rapid Start driver. End result, after Windows updates: 97GB free. The boot time is significantly faster. Very much worth it to clean install.

14. yinyangtkd

Reputations:
    I went with the "regular" one: see here.

Beware that I have not tested this because I haven't bothered to get an adapter for my TV. I have heard that there are some issues getting it to work on a clean install, so keep in mind if you plan on using it, that it may take some work.

15. Godhamba

Reputations:
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess its a moot point for the most part as I don't think I'll have any WiDi-capable devices in the near future! :)

16. beehofer

beehofer Newbie

Reputations:
    Glad i found it. glad it helped someone.

17. beehofer

beehofer Newbie

Reputations:
    After following the guide above from the original OP,

The only remaining problem i have is one entry in the device manager under unknown devices called "USB 2.0-CRW"

Any ideas on what I missed. USB 2.0 works fine i know i installed the USB 3.0 drivers. I don't have a USB 3.0 device to try.

18. Godhamba

Reputations:
    I think that may be the Realtek Card Reader.

19. yinyangtkd

Reputations:
    Yeah, preliminary googling suggests the card reader. I would restart, reinstall the realtek card reader drivers, and restart again. I don't remember which driver it was, but I did have an issue where it didn't go through right the first time.

20. beehofer

beehofer Newbie

Reputations:
    you were right. it was the card reader. tkx