Asus UX31 Ultrabook

Discussion in 'Asus' started by pear-i, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Both good points. I guess I don't mind too much if it's plastic. And in my case I'm very often hooked up to the external monitor, so the resolution doesn't matter *quite* as much to me. One thing I would like, though, is a backlit keyboard, and the Toshiba's got it.

2. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    It's not only the resolution by the way. Screens with higher resolution tend to have better contrast too. Let's hope Toshiba is using a high quality panel but I doubt it. Whether Asus uses a good screen remains to be seen too.

I also read some reviews that said the Toshiba felt flimsy.

Even though I don't like OS X I would probably prefer the Macbook Air over the Toshiba. It's well built, strong and uses a pretty good screen.

I do like the fact that the Toshiba only weighs 1 kg though.

Edit: I was wrong about the materials of the Toshiba. It uses an aluminium frame with magnesium housing.
    http://tweakers.net/reviews/2271/2/...n-lenovo-en-toshiba-toshiba-portege-z830.html

3. SoundsGood

Reputations:
    I actually would have preferred the 1440x900 / 16x10 screeen found on the 13" Macbook Air. But other than that, here are some reasons why I really like the Toshiba:

* Backlit Keyboard

* Very lightweight (2.45 lbs)

* Non-Glossy screen

* Separate left and right buttons on the touchpad (I prefer this)

* Dedicated Home / PageUp / PageDown / End buttons (I very much like having these buttons)

* Full size HDMI port (not Micro-HDMI)

* Full size Ethernet port

* Most ports are in the back of the laptop (from past experience I know that I like this)

It's not perfect (nothing is) but it has a lot going for it.

4. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Not sure if you know but the MBA has backlit keyboard too. The screen is semi glossy and is hardly reflective. Contrast and brightness are (most likely) much higher than the Toshiba screen.

5. SoundsGood

Reputations:
    I love the new MBA. Love it. I've played with it A LOT at the Apple store, and came very close to buying one. But there are too many "little things" that always seem to keep me from actually doing it. I'm just more comfortable overall with a Windows machine.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Backlit keyboard came with the last refresh and Sandybridge processors. Apple - MacBook Air - It thinks and acts like a full-size Mac. The MBA is a beautiful, nearly perfect notebook. The main problem with it is OSX. :mad:

The 16:10 1440 x 900 display is beautiful. It is not matt, however and shows a lot more reflection than a Lenovo Thinkpad for example. The UX31 is an unabashed knock off of the Air (Apple is already suing Samsung for copying the IPhone 4, it Asus next?). It is a decent option for someone wanting to stick with Windows.

7. prepseb

prepseb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    2012 will be the year of ultra-thin laptop
    2012 will be the year of the tablet war

8. benbronco

benbronco Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you can install windows 7 on the MBAs.

9. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Yep and it works well. Especially since Apple fixed the battery life issues and there's a good third party trackpad driver for Windows.

10. SoundsGood

Reputations:
    I thought about doing this -- or at least installing Parallels or VM Ware.

Crazy as it sounds, one of the big stumbling blocks for me is the keyboard. I am SO accustomed to the Windows keyboard layout and shortcuts that I find it very difficult every time I attempt to use a Mac keyboard. I much prefer the placement of the Ctrl key on Windows to do many keyboard shortcuts (it's just easier and more comfortable for me on a Windows keyboard) and I really prefer having dedicated Home and End keys.

I know it sounds silly to many people, but I'm an old dude that's pretty set in his ways. I've been using computers since the TRS-80 and Commodore 64, so I'm very, very comfortable with a "regular" Windows-style keyboard.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.