1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus UX31 Ultrabook

Discussion in 'Asus' started by pear-i, May 31, 2011.

1. shinypenny

shinypenny Notebook Enthusiast

so i asked asus a few days ago whether the ux31 will be featured with ivy bridge and they replied that nothing has been stated and that they will release the info once they will know... so they will probably continue with the sandy bridge. or does anyone else have any info regarding this topic? i personally don't think that i'm going to wait for ib as the upcoming ultrabooks may have great performance, but lack in physical appearance. with this said, i might buy rose gold in the following weeks

2. Ubimea

Ubimea Notebook Enthusiast

Control panel, system, device manager, mice and other pointing devices, finger sensing pad, driver.

I don't think there is a lot of difference between the two; both Sentelic and Elantech take getting used to, but YMMV. Rumor has it Asus is no longer shipping the Sentelic, but that is only rumor, afaik.

3. GTFO1

GTFO1 Newbie

I am having a problem with the zenbook and im not sure why. I have been using it for a month and I updated my zenbook with asus live update, and its been crashing and rebooting to bios whenever I use VLC media player. I am unsure if its only affects VLC. I tried system restoring, but no luck...and I updated to 2.10 from 2.09 and still no luck. Also, I can never exit the bios...so everytime it crashes. I have to force shutdown. Anyone else experiencing this?

4. bambooragons

bambooragons Notebook Enthusiast

Hmm, it's at $999 again. For this price it's a good deal.

Did Asus fix any of the problems yet? Namely the wifi and the touchpad?

What about the whining noise? Or some high pitch sound coming from the laptop / screen?

If not I guess I have to get something else.

5. Ubimea

There is no wifi issue with the latest drivers; touch pads are personal preference: some like em, some don't; no whining or high pitch sound from the screen, but like others, my left speaker seems to sound like it is being driven too hard even at low volume.

6. bambooragons

I purchased one back in mid November. There was a high pitch sound coming from somewhere in the laptop.

I had a sentallic touchpad. I updated the drivers which was the most recent one at that time. Every now and then it would go crazy and just jump all over the place.

Maybe I should give it one more shot.

7. Ubimea

I think the newest ones come with the Elantech touchpad; I too used to notice jumping cursers, but that has improved, perhaps b/c of better drivers, perhaps b/c I have adjusted to the Sentelic pad, or both. The keyboard still isn't near the legendary IBM Thinkpad, but, few laptaps today are, and the Asus UX31e gets a lot of other important things right (screen, weight and size and overall performance) and that Amazon price seems pretty attractive.

8. hojthojt

hojthojt Notebook Enthusiast

BIOS ver 211 available for download from ASUS...

1. Download
    2. Unzip
    3. Put the unzipped file (UX31EAS.211) on a FAT32 USB stick
    4. Reboot
    5. Enter BIOS (by pressing F2 during startup)
    6. Start EasyFlash
    7. Browse to the UX31EAS.211 file on the usb stick
    8. Start the update
    9. I'm not religious, but here you get some time for a silent prayer
    10. The computer will shutdown when done
    11. Power up again and hope it still works

9. hojthojt

hojthojt Notebook Enthusiast

I also found "ASUS Virtual Touch Utility" dated 2012-02-10 in the utilities category. Anyone knows what that one does?

10. bambooragons

I'm not sure how anyone can get use to the jumpy touchpad from sentilic. It's not about getting "use to it". It's about it not working properly 15% of the time.

I mean, when it works, it's great. But when it doesn't you can't even drag the pointer to the correct location to turn off the laptop. It will take you several tries as the pointer would jump all over the place.

That's isn't normal. Maybe the driver fixed it. I don't know. But the Verge article claims all new ultrabooks will only ship with the elan version.

Never the less. I am going to wait it out and pass on the Ux31. Maybe the next version will come with a matte screen, black casing and a fixed SD slot where the card doesn't stick out half way when inserted.

11. mitebbots

mitebbots Notebook Enthusiast

I think I prefer this to the windows utility. Anyone have any other thoughts on this? still running 206..

Hope this helps with the sentilic trackpad.

12. Ubimea

Regarding Windows Winflash vs the bios based Easyflash, I take a minority and contrary view to the accepted orthodoxy here that prefers Easyflash.

I *much* prefer the latest Winflash (V2.32.3 updated 12/12/2011) for the UX31e, provided you have the default 64 bit Win 7 operating system as installed by Asus.

Back in the day when I was building Asus motherboard based desktops with Win98 or early XP windows, I would NEVER EVER consider flashing the bios with the first early iterations of Winflash. Back in the day ;) every Windows session was a crapshoot, and bios flash was ONLY performed in DOS, booted from a trusty 3 1/2 inch floppy in A drive. (I seem to recall Winflash was introduced in 2004 or 2005 but that may not be correct.)

We have come a long way. Winflash and 64 bit Win7 are both mature and stable. I wouldn't hesitate to use Winflsh and the advice here to avoid it seems somewhat belt and suspenders and outdated and not relevant to the UX31e series notebook.

To be sure, if you have managed to screw up your operating system to the point it is no longer rock solid or is regularly blue screening and crashing, you have problems that a bios flash probably won't cure, and under those circumstances, don't use Winflash.

As for bios version 211, I haven't seen a list of fixes from Asus ; I noticed no change. The Sentelic finger sensing pad even with all the latest drivers remains what it is; a useful device with a long learning curve. Personally, I prefer my MS bluetooth mouse.:)

13. incendio

incendio Notebook Enthusiast

Hi all,

When I am home, I always plug my notebook to power cord. I noticed after a few days, battery capacity drops from 100% capacity drops to 96%.

Is this normal?

Thanks and regards
    Incendio

14. fedzmeo

fedzmeo Notebook Enthusiast

Hi all,

Newbie here. Just got my UX31e here in the Philippines. Decided to get it over the Vaio SB36, and has not regretted it so far. All the drivers and the BIOS had been updated when it was purchased (save for the 211 recent BIOS). No problems so far. Specs are I5 2557, 128 Sandisk SSD, Elan touchpad. My WEI for data transfer is 5.9 though.

I've a question that I hope some of you could answer: what's the best way to prolong our battery life, I mean, is it ok to keep the Zenbook plugged in frequently like what Incendio reported..? TIA.

Best to all.

15. Myckel

Myckel Notebook Enthusiast

Hi,

This is absolutely normal. The capacity drops slowly over time, and to prevent "using up" your cycle times, your battery won't charge until it drops below 95%.

If it would not, your battery would start charging at 99.99% up to 100% all the time.

16. incendio

Thanks for your answer.

Best regards,
    Incendio

17. Myckel

Myckel Notebook Enthusiast

Decworld said some useful information at post 2336. Furthermore, I think it's better to charge it while it's sleeping / off to prevent the battery getting excessively hot and also to decrease the charging time.

Once it's fully charged, I think it's better to work on it while plugged in if possible.

But how hard we try, a battery is designed to die.

18. decworld

decworld Notebook Evangelist

I get 2c reduction in chassis temp with a stand that contains a fan.

But I am unsure if the metal chassis makes the battery hotter as it conducts heat quickly into every part of the computer, or makes it cooler as the chassis dissipates the heat more quickly as it has a larger contact area with the outside air.

19. incendio

Hi all,

I have a strange problem with display brightness.

I set it in Intel HD Graphics app, set brightness to -50. This setting is dimmer than every setting in Asus Splendid App.

On first boot up, brightness seems meets my setting, but after a few second, brightness increase. I think, this is because there is an app that changed it, I guess it was Asus Splendid App.

I have to set in again manually via Intel HD Graphics. On Intel HD app, brigthness setting still set to -50, but I have to push OK button to correct brightness level.

Any idea how to fix this conflict?

Thanks and regards,
    Incendio

20. decworld

decworld Notebook Evangelist

Remove or disable all the asus power managerment software.

It confuses me to death.