1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus UX302

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dogman216, Oct 7, 2013.

1. dogman216

dogman216 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Since it seems so hard to find information on the UX302, I thought a dedicated thread could help pool information. So far it looks like the UX301 has been released in Germany but no word on the UX302 yet. Also in the past it seems Asus takes about 2-3 months after Germany release dates to release laptops in the US. So that would put US release end of Novemberish?

2. dogman216

dogman216 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Also for those interested, Acer is also coming out with an ultrabook with basically the same specs, the Acer S3-392. It looks like they just added a page on their US website... Acer Aspire S7-392 Ultrabook™
    Video: Acer Aspire S3-392 and Aspire S7-392 hands-on at Computex 2013 - Video - Engadget

Display:
    Asus: 1080p touchscreen
    Acer: 1080p touchscreen

CPU
    Asus: i7-4500U (1.8 Ghz)
    Acer: ??????

Graphics
    Asus: GT 730M (apparently actually better than the 735M)
    Acer: GT 735M

Ram
    Asus: 8gb (1 stick soldered?)
    Acer: 4gb (looks like two slots and upgradable?)

Thickness
    Asus: 0.68 in
    Acer: 0.70 in

Weight
    Asus: 3.3 lbs
    Acer: 3.6 lbs

3. dogman216

dogman216 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Scratch that Acer link, it was for the S7-392 not the S3-392. My mistake.

4. dogman216

dogman216 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Also i'll throw in the U430p with touch into this catagory...IdeaPad U430p | Thin and Light 14" Laptops and Ultrabooks | Lenovo (US) The U430 touch is a european model, the U430p will be avaialbe in the US with optional touch screen, see "Features" section. Also its not released yet, but there are rumors of it coming end of November (last comment... http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/724339-lenovo-u430-touch-23.html).

Display:
    Asus: 1080p touchscreen
    Acer: 1080p touchscreen
    Lenovo: 1080p assuming touchscreen

CPU
    Asus: i7-4500U (1.8 Ghz)
    Acer: ??????
    Lenovo: i5-4258U (2.4 Ghz)

Graphics
    Asus: GT 730M (apparently actually better than the 735M)
    Acer: GT 735M
    Lenovo: GT 730M

Ram
    Asus: 8gb (1 stick soldered?)
    Acer: 4gb (looks like two slots and upgradable?)
    Lenovo: 8GB (1 stick)

Thickness
    Asus: 0.68 in
    Acer: 0.70 in
    Lenovo: 0.77+ in (probably bigger with touch)

Weight
    Asus: 3.3 lbs
    Acer: 3.6 lbs
    Lenovo: 3.76+ lbs (probably bigger with touch)

5. MikeTLB

MikeTLB Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A quick update on the hardware on the Asus UX302LG. There are 2 GBs of memory soldered on the MB and a free DIMM that can take up to 8 GB modules. There's also a 7mm 2.5" drive which should be easily upgradeable, although there's a sticker on it that says "Warranty Void if removed".

How do I know these? Well, I've played with the UX302LG in this last week. More details here: Asus Zenbook UX302LG review - the GAMING 13 inch ultrabook , including pics of the internals, benchmarks, etc.

6. jazzman

jazzman Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Mike, great preview of this laptop.

This has MSATA connector you said, could it have installed say a 120GB MSATA drive for OS along with the 7mm drive for storage? I can't tell if its MSATA half-size or regular.

Thanks,
    ~Jesse

7. rjiemamam

rjiemamam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    excellent review, this is exactly what I hoped for, discrete graphics and upgradable memory and SSD.

I've never touched a zenbook in my life but it sounds like the only difference between the 301 and the 302 is better build quality but non-upgradable internals for the 301 and discrete graphics and upgradable parts.

How bad is the build quality for the 302? I don't intend to drag it around everywhere outside my home for the most part. It'll just be nice to have something very portable to travel with when I do go out of town a few times a year. But maybe with something so portable I would feel like I need to take it everywhere, everyday with me. I have a work PC so I am set there. Thanks for the review, I am interested to find out what the few hundred dollar difference is between the 301 and 302. With the sparse reviews on the 301 out there, it doesn't seem like its worth it. I can't wait to pick a 302 up now, was about to pull the trigger on the vaio pro.

thanks for the review again and hopefully it'll be available here in the states soon.

8. MikeTLB

MikeTLB Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's the half sized one from what I can tell, based on the screw holes next to the connector.

@rjiemamam

There are a few more details: extra ports on the UX302, slightly larger, thicker, heavier body, only 1080p screen (1440p screen on the UX301), 28W processors on the UX301, faster ssd on the UX301 (that however can be addressed with further upgrades on the UX302), some design changes (glass on the palm rest on the UX301), white and gray options for the UX301 (not sure if a white UX302 will be available).

Now, the build quality is not that bad. If you can find a UX32A or a UX32VD in shops, you'll see what I mean. The glass lid cover is not very sturdy and it flexes when pressed, with affects on the screen (you can see the images distorting when pressing the screen on the other part).

The bottom is covered with a very thing sheet of metal (or plastic that looks very much like metal), which once again bends and flexes when pressed.

Asus does supply an envelope with this laptop, and if you'll keep it in there, you shouldn't have problems when commuting and having it in your backpack or bag. Regardless, a sturdier body would have been nice, but that would have pushed the weight up, so that's probably why they went with this solution.

9. Wurstwasser

Wurstwasser Newbie

Reputations:
    Judging by the photos you made in the review, I'm pretty sure that this warranty sticker is for the ssd itself and not for the zenbooks warranty since the sticker is covering the screw of the ssd. I guess it is possible to remove the ssd without damaging the sticker. Or were there any other stickers you had to damage while opening the zenbook?

10. jazzman

jazzman Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This is very nearly my ideal laptop except for 2 things - storage and ram

Ram is my hangup for VMs, it will be dissapointing to have to run 3x vm's with only 2 gb ram each and I am not sure I can cram all I need into 256gb. I reeeeally want 128+1TB if possible, but I am having trouble finding the part to buy for the 128gb SSD in mini MSATA. I guess the other option is to buy a 512gb HDD ($$$$!) but it will bug me to know there is an empty mSATA in my system. hmmm the search continues....