Asus Utility and Bloatware Guide

Discussion in 'Asus' started by David, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwangsas

cwangsas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. So is there anything I lose out on by not making AI Recovery generated disks? I'm figuring that if I need to I can just use the DVDs that came with the laptop to make the computer work again...

2. MichaelKW

MichaelKW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I didn't take a close enough look at what was installed on the notebook by default when I bought it as I wiped the harddrives and did my own installs of clean retail XP and Win7.

There must be a difference as the AI Recovery set is 4 DVDs in size... Hopefully someone else can be more specific.

3. braheem88

braheem88 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can tell you both right now, that the actual Windows 7 install disc that shipped with the g51j-a1 is pure garbage.

AI Recovery disks should be made, there are issues with using the disk(s) they sent. I've had to format my laptop a few times and I noticed the hdd recovery partition was more exhaustive in restoring the laptop to its factory shipped condition that I received it in. Many small components are missing from performing a recovery with the disks provided (Driver disk and windows 7 disc).

4. Lanaya

Lanaya Templar Assassin

Reputations:
    why must there be a difference? when installed win7 is 14GB, which alone is 4 DVDs...all the AI Recovery does is mimic the recovery partition, which is basically an expanded version of the install media + drivers and bloatware

5. SteveC5375

SteveC5375 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks so much for posting this information. I don't suppose anyone knows where documentation on how to use some of these utilities resides?

6. JTF2

JTF2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Quick question, does anyone know why there is both an ATKOSD and ATKOSD2? Do they serve seperate functions? I believe the on screen display displays unless both are disabled.

Personally, I haven't uninstalled these, but I end their processes with the task manager whenever I game, so I can change the volume without messing up my screen.

7. Lanaya

Lanaya Templar Assassin

Reputations:
    ATKOSD shows the little OSD up in the left hand corner, OSD2 shows the gaudy central OSD that overlays on top of games and causes lag

8. pk000

pk000 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, does anyone know which utility is responsible for the grey 'caps lock on/caps lock off' display?

It messes my game up when I play Crysis...

Thanks!

9. tallan

tallan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There's an easy fix for somebody using a photo of you to fool SmartLogon: when you set it up (it makes a database of pictures of you) make a unique face, like by closing one eye, touching a finger to your nose, sticking out your tongue, etc., anything you don't do when photographed normally. Repeat that face/gesture for access.

10. proview3r

proview3r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lol :p , good idea though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.