1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus Utility and Bloatware Guide

Discussion in 'Asus' started by David, May 12, 2009.

1. Stopdroproll

Stopdroproll Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone know what Net4Switch is?

edit: nvm i found out

2. Vincent 1984

Vincent 1984 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what ASUS CopyProtect actually does?

3. SeanDude05

SeanDude05 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think it prevents someone from copying data from your laptop to a device like a usb stick or sd card or ethernet.

4. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Nice little guide, just got win 7 on the W90 (well again technically but this time not beta its retail) and its nice to see what some of this stuff does.

5. MichaelKW

MichaelKW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It seems there are a couple utilities either new or left out of this guide.

1) Asus ControlDeck - not sure what this is beyond another way to display in 3d your change volume, screen brightness, etc controls. Is it an application launcher as well?

2) Asus FastBoot - have no idea what this is, but wonder if it makes Windows 7 boot faster or something?

3) Asus AI Recovery - I assume its to make DVDs of the system restore partition that notebooks come with?

6. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Thanks for the heads up Michael. Those utilities you mentioned are indeed new. Guide updated.

7. Oncinlity

Oncinlity Newbie

Reputations:
    I've just re-installed my laptop with win7 and i lost all my utilities installed but when i re-installed them, they dont work especially Power4Gear, wireless cosole utilites T.T please help me how can i have them active again? I installed them in Disk D not C, is it a problem?

8. MasterShake89

MasterShake89 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    just checked this guide out today, but was able to elimate 3 more of the programs that i "didnt know what they really did so i left them alone"

thanks a lot.

9. cwangsas

cwangsas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have a question about the AI Recovery program - are the recovery disks it makes different from the ones shipped with the laptop? Thanks in advance.

10. MichaelKW

MichaelKW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes. The recovery discs created with AI Recovery are a direct image of what was on your harddrive when it was shipped to you. The DVD's you received with your laptop are Win7 install disc and Asus drivers/utilities disc, not images of the original harddrive installation.