Asus Utility and Bloatware Guide

Discussion in 'Asus' started by David, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanbrenton

alanbrenton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks both. On my next clean install I will do just that. :)

I just wished Asus would come out with an application like Sony's Battery Care or Lenovo's Power Manager. It seems silly to be charging the battery to 100% all the time when many studies show charging and discharging to extremes wear batteries quicker.

2. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The threshold for starting charging the battery on Asus notebooks is at 95% and as far as i know, there is no way of changing that.

3. kimiraikkonen

kimiraikkonen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's true and the level eventually drops even your notebook is plugged in and is OFF. That's by chemical structure of battery (Lithium batteries) AFAIK. Then it recharges back to %100 automatically, however i don't like that kind of cycle even within %5 range, it may shorten life of battery, IMHO.

4. insert_cliche_here

insert_cliche_here Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I found this forum while googling for a solution to this problem I'm having and I'm hoping someone here will be able to help.

Ok, so, I got this Asus k52f-1aex-2 laptop second hand and I reinstalled my own copy of windows 7 32 bit on it. I think I've replaced most of the utilities and drivers that it had on it before I did that, but I'm obviously missing something. I have a 'Microsoft wireless mobile mouse 4000' (that's what it says on the box) that I was able to customise fully before I reinstalled my version of windows. Now I just see the standard mouse options, rather than being able to change the function of the 3 buttons and the scroll wheel. My device manager says all the drivers for the mouse are up to date, so I'm thinking there's an Asus utility or driver that I haven't replaced. Can anyone help? Are there any things that relate to the mouse's functionality besides its drivers?

Can you tell I'm in over my head here? Is there a list online somewhere of all the utilities and drivers that my model should have so I can go through it and see what I'm missing? I did write a list, but evidently I've missed something :(

Sorry for the giant message. I hope this is the right thread, I figured it was relevant to the utilities list.

Thanks

Ang

5. alanbrenton

alanbrenton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good to know. Just to confirm Tijo, did you mean start or stop charging the battery?

I saw some horror stories on web when trying third party battery managers so I'm not going that route. But it's a shame Asus can't provide a similar feature or I'd be an Asus loyalist. On our Thinkpad, I set it to 40 (start) and 95% (stop) but then I use that as a desktop replacement so I took the battery out.

6. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @insert_cliche_here you probably need Microsoft Intellipoint software for your mouse functionality.

@alanbrenton in most user manuals for ASUS notebooks it states that 95% is the charging threshold, where it stops charging. Once it dips below 95% it will start charging again. This isn't a hard limit since there is still a trickle charge, so it is possible for your battery to get to 100%.

7. insert_cliche_here

Reputations:
    Is that something that would have been on my laptop before I reinstalled windows? It was working before I reinstalled, that's why I ask.

8. ALLurGroceries

Reputations:
    I'm not aware of any ASUS machines that ship with microsoft mice, so I don't know why intellipoint would be installed from the factory.

Here's where to download it:
    Software Downloads | Microsoft Hardware

9. insert_cliche_here

Reputations:
    But it worked before I reinstalled and it didn't have any additional software, it was all standard.

10. ALLurGroceries

Reputations:
    Microsoft Intellipoint is an optional component when you run windows update, so if you didn't specifically download the software from their website that is how you may have gotten it. The point is you need intellipoint. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.