Asus Utility and Bloatware Guide

Discussion in 'Asus' started by David, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimiraikkonen

kimiraikkonen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have an inquiry about stock-OS of G53JW. Mine is running on stock Win7 SP1 Home Premium and uninstalled some of bloatwares but when i check event viewer i "sometims" see a DCOM error about "Thumbnail Cache Out of Proc Server" DCOM object saying:

Source: Distributed COM
    Event Id: 10010
    Message: The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Re-registering this DLL did not help. Any same issue for the other G53JW owners?

2. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    kimiraikkonen, I would run sfc /scannow (with admin rights on command prompt) to rule out a bad file.

3. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    1. Have you unchecked the entry for it in MSCONFIG?
    2. How to Uninstall ASUS Live Update | eHow.com
    I have never tried this and I would do a full system image before running an unknown (to me) 3rd party tool Securiy Stronghold :confused:

4. kaali med

kaali med Newbie

Reputations:
    thank you david.it 's a great work.

i had jaust format my ASUS K53SV. and Iwant to reinstall some applications but I d'ont find them in site offecial of asus. tahnk in advance.:confused:

5. kimiraikkonen

kimiraikkonen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks Josea, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is there someone (including you) noticed that event log entry in event viewer (eventvwr). I bet some bloatware insists on referencing that COM component and it times out in Windows 7. Any same issues with stock-OS?

GUID of COM component as stated above and as shown in event log:

{AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}

6. Zimb0

Zimb0 Newbie

Reputations:
    I read this guide before I signed up and wanted to show my appreciation for this thread. Really helped me clean up a computer I purchased for a family member.

7. alanbrenton

alanbrenton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks again Josea. I tried that 3rd party tool and a stern warning to all that it is crap and useless. It took a few minutes to go through the process and in the end, it wanted me to pay $19 or more. Not sure what it had installed on my laptop but I will have to run the malwarebytes pro to make sure that my system is clean after uninstalling the crap tool.

Live Update is not in MSCONFIG or at least it's now name differently that I can't even find that Asus component in the services or startup tabs.

EDIT:

I just deleted the Live Update folder and removed remnants from the registry. Seems like it was the only way to rid of the software. :)

8. kungfupanda

kungfupanda Newbie

Reputations:
    hello everyone....

thankyou for the awesome guide!!! it really helps asus users from around the world...

um id like to ask... i just bought the low-end K43E laptop....

i'd like to disable the disruptive 3D onscreen fn key display... i saw on the post#1 its the ATKOSD driver...

however, the new Asus laptop in my country, there is no ATKOSD driver... ASUS combined it together and name it ATK Package...

so... i'd like to ask... how to disable 3d onscreen display fn key without uninstalling the ATK package with it...?

cheers

kungfupanda

9. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Run MSConfig, then disable ATKOSD2 in startup. Asus made ATK into one installer package, but the three components are still separated from the OS' perspective allowing you to disable ATK Media and ATK OSD2 without loosing the hotkey functionalities.

10. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes as tijo said, you must kill the atkosd2 process, there is no way to uninstall it on newer machines that have the ATK utilities installed in one bundled package. You could delete the .exe from the program files folder if you wanted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.