1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus Utility and Bloatware Guide

Discussion in 'Asus' started by David, May 12, 2009.

1. LastFantasy

LastFantasy Newbie

Reputations:
    sorry i dont know if this was already answered but, i uninstalled some of the games of oberon media, two precisely, thank god i stopped after reading on the net about how uninstalling oberon games could cause registry problems. my pc runs fine so far, programs runs well, but still will i experience problems in the future? it is best if i return my pc to fabric state just in case? tnks in advance

2. Johnny_R

Johnny_R Newbie

Reputations:
    Haaa !

I have an ASUS U36SG and last night I decided to "clean up" the installed programs that I never use, so I proceeded to uninstall the Oberon Media (Game Park) games...

When I booted up the next day, I had grey vertical lines on my Asus u36s screen and that was it !

I can plug in an external monitor and it works fine, but no way can I get the built-in laptop screen to work any more even after several "restore" attempts !!!

Oberon appears to have destroyed the video screen driver (or something)....

I'm considering doing a full re-install :-( if I can't find another solution soon.

Has anyone fixed this problem yet ?

Thanks,

John

3. ArdWar

ArdWar Newbie

Reputations:
    Great info indeed, but it would be better if you could add warnings about adverse effect when using, enabling, modifying, disabling or uninstalling these programs.

One that obviously need huge ominous warning is the accursed FancyStart. It's a ticking bomb that may brick your laptop, and the worst part is it would brick in seemingly random pattern, maybe when you try to use the feature, uninstal the feature when still enabled in BIOS, enable the feature in BIOS when program not installed, reinstall OS when enabled (effectively "removing" it), or maybe it may do no harm and work like charm.

I'd experienced several not-so-soft brick because of these little program and had to remove BIOS battery. A friend with this exact problem hands his laptop to service center (still under warranty) and somehow harddisk ended up replaced. No way i'll hand my harddisk to stranger, not to mention that the original harddisk not returned. :mad:

4. salo7e1410

salo7e1410 Newbie

Reputations:
    nice worke