Asus Utility and Bloatware Guide

Discussion in 'Asus' started by David, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This only provides 3D notifications for the hotkey actions... it can be safely removed, and I recommend removing it since it can interfere with fullscreen applications. ;)

If you do remove it it will be replaced by a very simple, 2D notification in the top left hand corner of the screen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Thanks ALLurGroceries. Info is edited.

This thread is also now posted on the Asus Info Booth sticky.

3. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Nice, I tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me (I repped you recently for something else I guess... maybe your ASUS world magazine post)

Good post, it should be useful for lots of ASUS owners! :)

4. CajunCARTFan

CajunCARTFan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How do you control WiFi and Bluetooth on the G50vt with Wireless Console Utility uninstalled?

5. tellarion

tellarion Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This should totally be stickied! Extremely useful information for all new buyers, imo.

6. RainMotorsports

RainMotorsports Formerly ClutchX2

Reputations:
    Using windows? lol Wifi can be disabled by right clicking on the network icon or using the switch on the laptop if you have one. Don't have bluetooth on myne and havent used BT since XP but was an icon for it back then (sometimes another for the oem software as well).

7. E.B.E.

E.B.E. NBR Procrastinator

Reputations:
    Thanks for this very useful thread! It's been added (or rather, promoted to first place in the Miscellaneous list) to the ASUS Info Booth.

PS: A similar list of utilities, although older and not as complete/detailed, can be found in my Vista optimization guide.

WRT the main post:

I would further say that:

* Wireless Console Utility is possibly needed when you do not have dedicated WLAN or BT on/off buttons on your
    notebook. In such a case, the only comfortable (w.r.t. number of keypresses) way to cycle through WLAN--BT on--off, on--on, off--on, off--off states is with this utility.

* ASUS Smart Logon is actually not so smart, people can logon with a picture of you. Recommend not using and using a strong password instead.

* ATK Generic Function Utility, and ATK Hotkey, are important and should not be uninstalled.

* I would recommend using the EasyFlash utility integrated in the BIOS to update the BIOS, rather than the Windows utility, which can be buggy -- or can be interrupted by an unrelated error in Windows. If you wish you can link to my BIOS update guide for details.

8. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have also heard that the fingerprint logon isn't very secure either and can be bypassed! Also I have always have a program called Bonjour on here is this program necessary?

9. RainMotorsports

RainMotorsports Formerly ClutchX2

Reputations:
    Last i checked bonjour is apple not asus if its not in the asus folder (on c or in the program menu) or in this guide or says asus on it probably not asus.

10. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    As Clutch stated, Bonjour is an Apple program. You most likely have itunes installed :)

Thanks EBE :) The thread has been updated with your comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.