ASUS U500vz/UX51vz Owners' Lounge!

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by ipkryss, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Irem

Irem Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone,

I have a UX51VZ with a damaged mother board. I am thinking of selling the parts or the whole machine & original charger. It has a new/ almost unused screen. Please let me know if interested in any parts or the whole machine.. you could write directly to dokmecirem@gmail

Thanks,
    Irem

2. Intelli32

Intelli32 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have a U500V that won't charge anymore. There are a number of things that might cause this so I turn to you to hopefully get some input on the issue.

My charger has been a bit damaged so I used some black electric tape to cover up the exposed wires. One day the laptop will not charge with the charger. So I tried a charger for the new Zenbook Pro (from my workplace) which has the same voltage and my laptop was charging OK.

1) In my desperation I tried to find a replacement but delivery time was so long so I went to an electronic store to get a universal charger. I tried one but my laptop did not charge. Maybe I picked one with the wrong voltage or current and damaged my laptop? After this the Zenbook Pro charger does not work either.

2) I took the laptop to a repair shop and they told me a "KBC chip" has to be changed. Does anyone know more about this chip?

3) Before all this happened I installed NotebookFanControl to reduce the noise of the fans. Can this software have made modifications to BIOS or something to cause the laptop to not accept charging? I think I read about someone with a similar problem after installing this software.

Thanks in advance!

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Use a voltmeter to measure the output from the AC adapter, if there's no output then replace it. But if there's output then check the DC jack on the system to make sure that it's not loose.
    KBC chip = Keyboard Controller, which doesn't make any sense at all for a no power issue.

4. drflowers

drflowers Newbie

Reputations:
    I have been lurking on this forum for some time to try and solve my problem with my ux51vz.
    I upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10 and all went well until I got a BSOD and Windows would continually try and boot off the Windows Boot Manager. Error was unmountable boot drive.
    I could not fix the windows problem so I did a clean install of windows 10.
    I had saved a drive clone with Macrium after completing the Windows 10 reinstall.
    Since then I still have occasional crashes then windows can not recognize the Windows boot record, it can be found from a dos prompt. The drive windows are changed when this happens.
    It seems this occurs just after inserting or removing a USB drive.
    Could it be that I need to install a USB driver?

Thanks,

Bob

5. drflowers

drflowers Newbie

Reputations:
    I have just gone through and downloaded the drivers on the Asus website to do a complete Windows reinstall.
    Does anyone have a list of all the drivers needed for a clean windows install?

6. drflowers

drflowers Newbie

Reputations:
    I last used the driver off the intel page:
    USB 3.0 driver:
    Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Intel 7
    Series/C216 Chipset Family

7. drflowers

drflowers Newbie

Reputations:
    I am currently running Bios 203. Is version 207 stable and a good choice for windows 10?

I did learn that Windows 10 takes care of the USB driver and the WIDI driver.

8. drflowers

drflowers Newbie

Reputations:
    I successfully updated the Firmware to version 204 from 203.
    Hopefully no more BSOD with USB insertion.

9. drflowers

drflowers Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know how to turn off the message:
    The Power Connector is not Plugged in Properly. Please Disconnect and reconnect the Power Adapter?

10. JasonBSteele

JasonBSteele Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unable to enter RAID configuration

Hi, One of my SSD drives dies on my u500vz so the RAID RST menu was being shown on boot. I removed the drives from RAID so that I could reinstall Windows on the remaining working SSD. The RAID menu was still being shown whenever I booted, presumably because one the SSDs was still faulty, but it would boot into Windows fine afterwards.

When my replacement SSDs (Samsung 850) and the SinTech adapters (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018DNZJ60/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) arrived I replaced the SSDs and booted.

The RAID menu is no longer shown, if I use a USB key to Setup Windows the two drives are shown separately.

How do I enter the RAID utility to add the two new SSDs to RAID 0?

BIOS SATA is set to RAID,and I have tried various hotkeys on boot (Ctrl-I, Ctrl-G, Ctrl-E ), but I cannot get into the menu to setup the RAID again.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017