ASUS U500vz/UX51vz Owners' Lounge!

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by ipkryss, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Zorning

Zorning Newbie

Reputations:
    Use key words like 'ux31 SSD to sata adapter' to search either in ebay or amazon, then you can get many results.
    like:
    ebay
    amazon
    I bought it on Ebay, around $10 each.

After you get the adapters and installed the ssd on them, you can plug them into desktop and setup virtual RAID 0 environment. I'm using DiskGenius to setup the environment. But there should be other tools can also do the job. There are two things that I found during the setup. First, you need to try add SSD1 first and then SSD2, or add SSD2 first then SSD1 to see which order works. Second, in one setting, dont remember the name of it, you need to change the default 64k to 128k. After that, you can export your data.

2. vo90

vo90 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the information!

I have now received my adapters and they seem to work. However, I have had some problems trying to retrieve my data.

1. When I look in my device manager it states that one of the disks is called "Intel raid 0 volume" and the other one "SanDisk128gb.........". Basically one is found as a regular disk with the correct name (the SanDisk one) and the other one will be recognized as something else. What is the Intel Raid 0 Volume? Is it correct?

2. Could you please elaborate on what you did to retrieve the data using the software? Did you use the free version of DiskGenius of the paid one? I've tried several different free softwares and almost all of them will find my "SanDisk..."-disk but have problems finding the other one.

3. I am starting to think if there is some kind of mechanical problem either with my connections (I connected them both with the SATA express on my motherboard) or with the actual disks.

Do you have any thought on what I might be doing wrong and was your disks also recognized by different names?

One last thing. When I do a regular recovery on my SanDisk-disk I find all the data on it (no raid setup) but when I try to do the same on the other disk the scan gets stuck at about 25% and it sort of stays that way until I close the program (the program shows that, up until those 25%, it has found a lot of RAW files with .mkv ending and those are the files I need!! but I cant save/extract them since they are RAW and not NTFS). Is that an indication that ther might be something wrong with the disk or is it an indication on that I need to setup a Raid environment?

When I try to setup a Raid 0 environment and get to the stage where I need to add the disks I can only manage to find (and add) the SanDisk-disk. Once again, an indication that there is something wrong with the disk?

All help is appreciated!! Thanks in advance

3. Zorning

Zorning Newbie

Reputations:
    1. It should be fine, as long as computer can recognize these two ssd.

2. I used the Pro version, because i have been using it for long time. As i mentioned in my last post, when you were creating virtual raid, you should try adding these two ssd in different order to see adding which one in the first will work.

tools=>construc virtual raid=>add disk(adding two ssds)=> set Block size to 128kb=>OK and done!

If the software having problem finding the 2nd ssd, i think you may try insert it to another sata port on the MB, or switch the adapter with another ssd. Or if you have hard drive enclosure, you can connect it through usb.

Even you recovery data without raid 0, you can't get your data back. It may shows some file but not all of them.

4. vo90

vo90 Newbie

Reputations:

Thank you for the answer. However I managed to solve all of this simply by uninstalling "Intel Rapid Storage Technology". Once I did that the second disk got recognized as a normal disk and after that it was easy to recover the data.

Thank you for your help, without it I wouldn't have found out about the specific adapters in the first place.

5. markhay29

markhay29 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey friends,
    I am parting out my UX51VZ. If anyone wants to purchase a spare part, let me know and I'll tell you if I have it. Right now, I have the screen, back cover, keyboard, touchpad, speaker. My motherboard is damaged, but I still have it and I also have the IO Board with all the connections. Email me directly at markhay29@gmail (.com) , and I'll let you know if I have what you need.
    thanks!
    Mark

6. Ramazan Karabacak

Ramazan Karabacak Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have a UX51VZ updated to Win 10 and want to burn a set of recovery DVDs as 2x128GB SSDs are both getting old and insufficent for my files. My recovery partition is intact. How can I make factory recovery DVDs? Thanks.

7. jzuijlek

jzuijlek Newbie

Reputations:
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  8. Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can somebody tell me what the fix for the idle fan noise was, without having to search through all the pages?

Thanks in advance.

9. Asgaro

Asgaro Newbie

Reputations:
  10. Sebastian111

Sebastian111 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, blowing life in this thread, i'm from Sweden i'm looking for a motherboard fro my Asus U500Zv 15,6 full hd ips.
    I think i might have blown a something when i changed out the DC Jack in on the board.
    Any ideas of were to find these?

Any help i nice.
    MVh Seb