ASUS U500vz/UX51vz Owners' Lounge!

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by ipkryss, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petterk

petterk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There isnt any utility besides the Intel RST GUI to edit the RAID tables in this laptop if you want to use the Intel Matrix Raid (which I highly discourage when there are better options available, well, for Linux anyway).

Anywho, heres a guide to dual boot Arch Linux with the Windows 8 install without breaking the Intel RAID:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ASUS_Zenbook_UX51Vz

2. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not sure you read the response properly?

There are two main models of UX51VZ/U500VZ machines, one that have SSD RAID and one that have a small SSD + a 2.5" HDD.

The machine delivered with SSD RAID can't be upgraded with a 2.5" drive - there is no connector and there is no space. The SSD uses an Asus specific design.

The machine delivered with 2.5" HDD can be upgraded with any 2.5" standard size drive but the small SSD device is on a chip soldered onto the motherboard.

TL;DR: If you have a machine with SSD RAID you can't upgrade using a 2.5" drive.

3. MashiUX51

MashiUX51 Newbie

Reputations:
    In Vietnam now and following the instructions of the forum, contacted ASUS support center to order recovery media. Apparently they don't offer the service here.
    Any kind soul have the time to upload their ISO images from the ones they made so I can pull them and recover.
    UX51VZ model windows 8 pro my license key is still in bios so it should work fine.

config quad core I7 +8gb + 2 x 256gb SSD

4. sraffo

sraffo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your W8 came in which language?

Here in Brazil mine came with a Single Language Windows 8 version in brazilian portuguese.
    I found on internet an ISO of the Brazilian Portuguese Single Language Windows 8 and install it. It's a clean install without Asus crapware. W8 automaticaly recognized serial in Bios.
    Try download an ISO of the same version of W8 that came with your U500.

5. MashiUX51

MashiUX51 Newbie

Reputations:
    Mine in English, and so far not spotted a windows 8 pro 64 bit oem iso image to resolve it.....but thanks for the idea

6. sraffo

Reputations:
    It's a Windows 8 PRO or a Windows 8 Single Language?

On the properties of the computer mine shows this:

windows 8 single language.PNG

7. liviutum

liviutum Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I just bought an Asus UX51VZ-CN066H. I had it for 3 days, and I am overall satisfied with it.
    The model comes with 128GB SSD from Sandisk (X100 model) and only 6GB RAM(soldered 2GB only :( )

I will add a SSD drive which I already have(Crucial M4 SATA3 -- needs conversion to 7mm) to replace the existing HDD. Also, I want to put in a stick of 8GB(I am using VMs allot).

So far, Win 8 is ok; . I never tried out W8.1 so I want to install it, since it is free.

I do not have any noise issue with the fan, but it is almost audible only in a very quite room (that is not my work place :) ) Otherwise, since I spent more than 10yrs among noisy networking gear, my brain is trained to ignore any ventilation noise.
    I also gave a try the Notebook Fan Control software; it works well. My CPU temp is wobbling around 54-55C(room temperature is 23C) and the fan is completely off. Great software, I recommend it.
    I remember some settings for the fan in W7 registry doing the same thing(HP Envy 14 B.E. had the same problem with the fan being too loud), but I need to pick my brain for that; I do not remember where exactly.

Now, the bad parts;I made a list below. I really appreciate any input you guys can provide.

1. The Keyboard: one of the keys("s") is having not a smooth clicking; it is like having dirt stuck under it, and makes a 2-step click. Except that, it is rather ok to use, but not impressive. My previous HP Envy 14 had a great kb, and I don't see any improvement(the keys are stiffer, which I don't like, but well positioned)

2. The ports are SOOO tight, that anything I plug in, takes serious effort. I hope the loosen up after awhile.

3. One of the screws that hold the back in place has its head damaged; I tried with my screwdriver to loosen it up, and I managed to do that
    without additional damage, but looks like it needs replacement. I wonder how the hell did that happen?

4. The power jack is flimsy. I mean REALLY flimsy. With a little pressure, one can see how it moves inside the laptop inlet. While doing that, I even got a message that warn me about it being plugged in wrong. I took the DC jack out, put it back in, nothing happened. I had to reboot to get rid of it. I am a bit sceptic about this issue, as another user reported this problem. Does it feel flimsy to you as you plug it in?

5. Touchpad is also ok(7/10) but it drives me crazy about one thing: it needs to register my hand presence so the click buttons can work. Is there a way to make them work only by clicking that button, and not depend on what clicked it?

I am doing some gaming tomorrow. Lets see how that works.

8. Guilden_NL

Guilden_NL Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    liviutum,
    Two points from me.
    I personally hate the touchpad. It's not centered, so it's in the way. I automatically disable it in both Windows and Linux whenever I plug a mouse in. (All the time.)

Second, the power port is a complete, unadulterated piece of feces!

In 10 months of ownership I had to send it in twice. Once to replace the sub woofer jack and most recently, for the power jack. I use this laptop in an office, unplug it at most twice per week. Yet these jacks died. I am recommending everyone to stay away from this overpriced POS.

Since you've joined us as an owner, do yourself a favor and see if you can get an extended warranty. I also suggest informing ASUS that you are aware of these problems, and you expect them to cover them past the warranty period.

Sorry to say it, but this is a POS laptop.

9. liviutum

liviutum Newbie

Reputations:

@Guilden_NL - Thank you for your feedback. I can see that you are very upset with this and I understand it. This is quite an expensive, high-end product and it should not have all the issues that were listed.

I have the option of returning the product within 15 days, no questions asked. Initially, I wanted to exchange it, as I like this laptop alot. But there aren't any left in stock, and the importer is not bringing in CN066H models. I can opt for a different model with RAID SSD, but that I do not want, since I would like to have a possibility to use my own SSD. I am now assessing the level of FAIL that ASUS has.

So far besides you, nobody else has complained about it. But I would really like to hear other owners say their piece here.
    How about now? After fixing it twice, do you see any visible improvement in the power-jack/inlet stability?

As for the trackpad position, I personally think it is a well positioned one, because when typing, you have it between hands; I know I do. The sensitivity is a bit low, but I can manage.

10. sraffo

Reputations:
    The touchpad driver (Asus Smart Gesture) doesn't have much options and I can't change the sensitivity on it.
    I tried to uninstall it and install Elantech driver but the Asus Smart Gesture appears automatically when I install the Elantech Drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.