ASUS U500vz/UX51vz Owners' Lounge!

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by ipkryss, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0verseer

0verseer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The raid on the u500vz is weird as hell, where is the raid config utility?? Usually when using a hardware raid, there is supposed to be some shortcut to enter it at bootup, but I can't seem to find it.
    Does anybody know what to press??

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Check in the BIOS and verify.

3. puzzler

puzzler Newbie

Reputations:
    @ Guilden_NL: Thanks, I'll look for yours and the other posts about breaking the RAID. I guess I'm wondering about the pros and cons of keeping the RAID config, other than having one logical drive. Are there reliability issues? For example, if there is a defect/failure of one of the drives in the RAID, how does that affect the data of the other drive?

Also, what were the improvements you found with Win8, other than perhaps faster boot (which I imagine is already pretty fast with Win 7 and the SSDs?

Thanks!

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    The way RAID 0 works, is data is split half and stored onto each drive.
    If one fails, then the data you can recover is only half of it, which is pretty much destroyed.

5. oblorstead

oblorstead Newbie

Reputations:
    Your right - 2xSSDs will double my space, should last for at least another 6 months :)

6. 0verseer

0verseer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, In bios you can only change SATA settings between RAID, AHCI and IDE.
    If I change to AHCI, the stripe still exists and is presented as such when I try to install Linux.
    However, IF I instead try to install windows, I can only see one of the SSDs during the installation.

There must be a way to change between raid0-1 and delete the raid all together, but I can't find anything like that...
    I want to run them separatly, one for windows, and one for linux to dual boot...

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. Its Intel RST. Needs to be fixed in the RST UI...

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    If you switch to AHCI, then the RAID utility isn't activated.
    You will have to purge the header in each drive individually, such as diskpart utility.

8. puzzler

puzzler Newbie

Reputations:
    And a two drive RAID 0 array doubles the chance of failure, though overall the chance is still quite low statistically. Of course, the only answer is still: BACK YOUR **** UP. I'm just sayin... ;-p

9. Guilden_NL

Guilden_NL Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Good point. I can't remember if I included the Linux command to clean the detritus left by RAID. Windows is a dumb OS and doesn't see it. Linux does and won't install until it is wiped from the remaining drive. Am mobile, so won't search for the post, but either I posted it, or someone else did.

10. Guilden_NL

Guilden_NL Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Uh, that remaining drive is pretty much trash too. You might be able to hand recover a few files, but don't count on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.