ASUS U500vz/UX51vz Owners' Lounge!

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by ipkryss, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xismo

xismo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where do you get the information that there's no Intel graphics? As far as I know every single IVB CPU does have integrated GPU. I'd also think it should be able to drive wqhd display.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2. petterk

petterk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you read through this thread you'll find multiple sources to that.

I can also confirm that, as I have one myself.

The chip is disabled. I know every IB has it, but it's not active on this model.

For example, check out this wiki from Arch Linux: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ASUS_Zenbook_UX51Vz

"Note that unlike most other UX51Vz models, this one has no integrated Intel graphics (plain Nvidia, not Optimus) and a retina 2880x1620 display."

3. gibba

gibba Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear Petterk,

I am having an O M G moment right now, since I was hoping for that integrated GPU to save me some power! I feel befuddled now.

Do you know what could be the reason for the lack of control of the brightness? It's driving me crazy. The only remaining option at this point is to send this expensive door stop to Asus in the very ephemeral hopes that they might wave their magic wand and fix it. In all reality, they will likely blame my unsupported Win 7 and reinstall Win 8. I am so frustrated :(

4. petterk

Reputations:

First of all: This is a fenomenal laptop, by far the most impressive I've ever owned. I see some of you guys complain about certain stuff which 99% sure isn't the laptops fault.

This laptop comes preloaded with Win8. Therefore, function keys etc cannot be guaranteed to work. This is a software problem, and not a hardware problem. There is no need to send in the laptop for this issue. You are right, they will only do a software recovery on it and ship it back to you.

I suggest you either do a fresh install of Windows 8/8.1 and install all of the drivers found on Asus Support. OR, you can toss away the whole Windows shabang, and do a clean Ubuntu or Linux mint installation. I highly recommend people to try a Linux distribution, as there is nothing that really cant be done in Linux when compared to Windows.

All in all - I cant really help you figuring out the problems, as Im quite sure the problems are within Windows 7, and not the laptop.

5. gibba

gibba Newbie

Reputations:
    The function keys work just fine! It shows the brightness bar moving when I press them. Except there is no actual change in brightness! I would hate to be forced between Linux and Win 8 because there is no Win 7 support for this function. I've tried everything I could find on Google about this issue, which is not much since it doesn't seem to be a common issue. So I am wondering if it could be defective hardware in my particular case. I guess I will reinstall Win 8 to check if it works there.

What would be the benefit of going with Linux? Can it run engineering software?

6. xismo

Reputations:
    It will most likely work under win8. Is there a particular reason why you're so against win8? All of the metro stuff can be disabled by installing start8 and once that's done I can almost guarantee you wouldn't even notice you're using win8. Unless you have a different reason, like a particular program not working under win8 which shouldn't happen anyway.

And yeah while all the recommendations on using Linux instead of windows are appreciated people need to realize that it usually comes down to software compatibility. I for one would love to use Linux but none of the software I use is compatible therefore it's a no go.

7. Guilden_NL

Guilden_NL Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    xismno, No way that I am challenging you, just curious what you run that drives Windows use. I have one or two, apps but that's it. Otherwise, my day goes well in Linux.

The bigger issue I have with Asus that causes me to not recommend them is their many configurations of the same old . And of course, their POS support.

8. xismo

Reputations:
    As mentioned primarily adobe creative suite for my living (no Linux support) as well as DJ/music production software mainly from native instruments (again no Linux versions)

So unfortunately until these large software companies have a change of heart and all of a sudden start developing Linux versions, any Unix based distribution is pretty much out of the question. Unless I ran it through VM but then what's the point...

Of course only speaking for myself and my needs specifically. Linux is great for a lot of things but unfortunately not for what I do.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. petterk

Reputations:
    And these are all actually valid reasons. If you make a living out of software that currently only runs in WIndows, then ofcourse, you wouldn't want to change. My target is the people who use Windows just as a habit and actually just ignores all of the faults it has when there could be better options out there.

Anyway, regarding the brightness problems for you gibba;

If the keys work and all of the nescessary software is installed, and the only thing that's missing in your setup is to control the brightness, I would seriously consider downloading a 3rd party application that lets you bind keys to control the brightness. There are tons in Linux, I dont know of any in Windows, but Im sure they exist. Google is your friend.

10. gibba

gibba Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear Petterk,

Your advice worked and I now have total control over the brightness. I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart. May karma bless you!

petterk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.