ASUS U500vz/UX51vz Owners' Lounge!

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by ipkryss, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petterk

petterk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would say it's a perfect match.

Get the VZH(2880x1620) version if you can afford it, the display is IMPRESSIVE!.

2. kermode

kermode Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,

I updated to Windows 8.1 yesterday and have been problems with the graphics card in my Asus UX51VZ ever since. Now the screen colors appear 'washed out' and for whatever reason if I do a dixdiag it is showing the integrated Intel card instead of the Nvidia card. (Basically seems to be stuck on Intel no matter what the application) I've tried uninstalling drivers, deleting devices etc. and the updating both Intel and Nvidia with the latest and greatest drivers to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem with this machine?

3. Davidoo

Davidoo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Kermode, it is normal for the direct x diagnostics screen to show the Intel HD graphics 4000 card because that is what is being used at the time you run dxdiag. The way I understand it is the notebook will switch to the Nvidia card as needed but at idle and for simple applications such as this it will default to the Intel card. There is a way to go into the Nvidia control panel and force certain apps to run on the Nvidia card, but I don't think it will ever show up that way in dxdiag.

Sorry, I know that doesn't explain the washed out colors. I updated to 8.1 and don't have that issue. I see that you have already tried the drivers. Just to be sure, you can find the drivers at this Asus site, or just go to Asus support and enter your model, etc. This driver is listed for Windows 8, but they don't have a new one for 8.1 as it should be the same. I am using that driver with no issues. I would go to the Nvidia site for their driver if you haven't already. Also, have you gone into the Nvidia control panel and made sure you are running the right resolution and 32 bit color depth?
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download UX51VZ

4. PourLeMerite

PourLeMerite Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There is a beta driver from Intel and Microsoft for Windows 8.1. There seems to be a change in the Windows 8.1 graphics driver model vs. Windows 8. I am still running Windows 8 but I have installed the 8.1 beta driver. So far it is running flawlessly. I wull update to Windows 8.1 after reading more and more reports out of field experience by users ;o)

Windows8.1 x86 and x64 graphics driver availability status (Windows)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23194

Cheers

Edit: In fact I have installed the Windows 8.1 Developers Preview beta drivers. Sorry for the confusion.

5. PourLeMerite

PourLeMerite Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just for reference. I had this problem with my battery (see this post).

I ended up with sending the notebook back to my dealer. He inspected it and sent it to ASUS for repair. Yesterday, exactly 1 month later, I got it back. The repair status report says it was a faulty connection between battery and mainboard and ASUS fixed it (soldered?).

Just so you know what it could be if you encounter the same problems.

6. Ikenga

Ikenga Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello folks,

I've been lurking here for months as I made up my mind which laptops to buy. Now I'm posting since I've just received my Asus UX51VZ-XB71 ultrabook, It is the UX51VZ model with 2880 x 1620 resolution and no touch screen with 8GB RAM and 2x256GB RAID0.

I previously purchased the 1080P UX51VZ model but a home burglar stole that before I could even use it so when trying to replace it I decided to go for the higher end high-res model because I wanted to do photo editing with it a lot.

So far I think its a great laptop. Nice looks, very thin and great build. However I'm a bit overwhelmed by the large resolution and majorly underwhelmed by the SSD drive and the ASUS out-of-box-experience and included software.

First of all with the resolution. I always liked the thought of having a "retina" class display (though in 16:9 aspect ratio) but I'm finding my enjoyment tarnished by blurry and too small to read text when browsing the web with Google Chrome which I'm dedicated to using over Firefox or Internet explorer. With default Chrome installation, the browser is completely unusable as it renders it's main window, tabs and text as if I had selected 100% scaling in Windows DPI setting - I don't . I have Windows set to scale the UI by 150%. Most of the Windows built-in software is usable at that setting but not Google's Chrome. After some googling, I enabled the experimental high-dpi support and that improved things a bit but the text is still to small, the fonts are still blurry and some sites don't render correctly. Oh well... I'm going to try Lightroom on it tonite to see if it is a better experience than on the standard 1080p displays. Also does anyone know how to get proper calibration settings for the display? When I go to display properties the display is described as "generic PnP monitor". That was the same thing I experienced on the Samsung AtivBook 8 (with touch) that I also recently purchased. Because the display is marked as "generic", there is no manufacturer specific icc profile associated with in Windows.

My other main problem is that the SSD drives were setup in RAID0 but then the space was partitioned by ASUS into two separate hard drives (damn!) and a bit of space is wasted on various recovery partitions and one large (~20gb) uninitialized disk that I have no idea of its purpose. I want to have one single 512GB (or close to it) partition for Windows and my personal files but I can't figure out how to non-destructively merge the space taken up with the D: drive's partition into the C: drive. I first tried deleting the D: drive/partition with Disk Management but then it wouldn't let me merge the existing C: drive with the now empty partition that D: drive used to take. Does anyone know how I can merge the second D: drive with C: without wiping the entire drive?

Also I found the SSD drives to be quite slow. I can't explain it. I ran the ATTO benchmark against the empty D: (data) drive/partition and the highest data read throughput it was able to get was under 80MB/sec. This does not seem right because I can easily get 120MB/sec out of my desktop's 7200RPM SATA drive using file copying. It was my expectation that SSD drives were much faster than that and that the addition of RAID0 across two SSDs would give me something around 300 to 500MB/sec max throughput. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on here? I'm now running Windows 8.1 Pro on the laptop.

Finally, OBE, I noticed problems with some of the included ASUS software. The Vibe? software is crap and does not even work properly with high resolution displays (very tiny text) and I could not really figure out why it was pre-installed on my laptop in the first place. I refused the McAfee program's EULA during Windows first boot and after I got to the desktop I found I could not uninstall it due to blank error page every time. After I upgraded to Windows 8.1, McAfee suddenly disappeared. Since I have experienced laptop robbery recently I was wondering how I enable the anti-theft feature of the Intel processor/system. I hope this anti-theft feature was not linked to the included McAfee because the McAfee software is now gone from the system. Has anybody managed to setup intel Anti-theft (AMT?) on a laptop recently? How did you do it? I would like the laptop to be able to be tracked/phone-home/record&send pictures in case it is stolen and also wipe the hard drive if the thief tries to access it.

Some of the other software like the cloud storage looked iffy and had bad english grammar/translation and I wonder why. Same thing with the Asus web sites when I registered. The bad english and grammar scared me into thinking I had signed up on a fake asus phishing site or something. I don't really understand why the applications and web site of Asus support appear like they were made in China and English translation was a second thought. I looked really hard for Asus software to make a recovery disc for Windows 8 but could not find it. How do I make a recovery disc for this laptop that can be used to restore it to the original ASUS factory condition?

I also could not understand why you can't find any information about Asus UX51VZ-XB71 on any official Asus web site. I googled it and not one site with info on this laptop points to Asus.com. It makes no sense. Why would Asus not have any information on their own sites about their own high end laptop even though I can buy it and it is listed on sites like Amazon and B&H. For what it is worth, I bought mine from BestBuy outlet for much less than the retail price but it seemed refurbished as it came without manuals or the subwoofer.

Please forgive my negative tone but I'm definitely looking forward to joining proud owners of this laptop and hearing from you on tips and tricks to get the best out of it.

7. Takitoes

Takitoes Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys, had a UX51VZ for a little while now and im loving it.

Only problem im getting is with really weird lag spikes while gaming. Have yet to diagnose if its a router problem or the laptop because it otherwise works really well.

As a side note, is there any reason i would not be able to upgrade to wireless ac by putting on of these in?
    Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Plus Bluetooth*

They look to be the same size and i don't think the internal antennae will be a problem, but i've never done that sort of upgrade on a laptop before so im a bit unsure...

8. Klem66

Klem66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dont try change. They have a different size of antennas connectors. In our laptop, antennas connectors is smaller then standard. post.jpeg

9. Guilden_NL

Guilden_NL Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ikenga, Do NOT install Intel Anti-Theft on this laptop!!! I had to escalate to their CEO in order to get it fully uninstalled. The software is extremely poorly written, and you will find yourself locked out of your own laptop permanently.

I am mobile right now, so I don't have the link to send to you. But when I get back in front of my laptop, I'll find the link to hundreds of super angry users of this mess of a software. Just don't do it!

10. Ikenga

Ikenga Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for the heads-up. I look forward to hear the full story when you get back online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.