ASUS U500vz/UX51vz Owners' Lounge!

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by ipkryss, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidoo

Davidoo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Opening the bottom to upgrade RAM would not void the warranty. Once you get the bottom open, there is a label on some screws that says removing these voids the warranty. As far as the RAM goes, here is what is listed on my shipping information for RAM specs............ Ram: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-41814P] (Dual Channel Memory (1x4GB + 1x8GB SODIMMS))

2. Gerzhwin

Gerzhwin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought the Crucial PC-12800 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

3. Gerzhwin

Gerzhwin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anybody who has installed Win 8.1 and had to scale down the refreh rate to 35 Hz (see replied post) noticed some improvements, so connecting an external monitor with 2560 by 1440 px can be set up with 60 Hz?

4. Mampfred

Mampfred Newbie

Reputations:
    TL;DR: BSOD complete crash, probably filesystem corrupt. Could be SSD, RAM, SOftware ..? Looking for suggestions.

I've got my UX51VZA (2x256GB SSD) for about three months now and "only" put some more RAM in (Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz) there and got rid of the D drive in order to expand C. Apart from that, nothing changed really in terms of hardware. Windows 8 I kept (grudgingly) and some of the more intrusive software would be VMWare Workstation and Kaspersky Internet Security.

When I recently rebooted for some Windows updates, it didn't come back up and bluscreened with 0xc000021a instead. I do have some experience with throubleshooting things like that but I failed miserably. Pretty much the only thing I could do was get a CLI going to get some of my data off the drive. While doing that I saw some strange effects like xcopy stopping halfway through and saying "file not found" and sure enough some of the files where gone between me issuing the xcopy command and the error message. A chkdsk /F /X didn't help and the only resort was to "refresh" the system. I've pulled of event logs from before the crash but they didn't give a hint either. Same for looging for the boot process, it would stop at different places.

If you're thinking filesystem corruption then I agree. But what caused it is a bit of a mystery. It could be the additional RAM, the Windows updates or the SSDs failing.

I was going to test the RAM using memtest86, but failed to get it boot from USB, probably due to some UEFI settings I don't understand in the BIOS. Haven't tried the ISOs yet, will do soon(ish). Any other suggestions to testing the RAM? UPDATE: done that, a complete pass didn't show an error.

The other thing is that I don't see any way to query the health of the SSDs in the box. Relocations, amount of spare sectors used, read errors, that sort of thing (unfiltered by Windows). Does anyone know how to do that?

The "refresh" btw. looked quite good initially but there's stil some very strange things happening (random hangs, Windows updates not downloading, ...) so the next step will be a vanilla Windows 8 install.

I'm open to any suggestions and who knows, maybe there are people out there with similar problems ...

5. LenyKholodov

LenyKholodov Newbie

Reputations:
    I have U500VZ notebook with 128G SSD + 500G HDD configuration. However, I can't detect 128G SSD neither in BIOS nor in Disk manager (Win8). I've read SSD is used for caching in this model. Is it possible to disable SSD caching on this notebook and use SSD as separate device for OS? I found articles about installing OS on similar models but all of them assume SSD is visible in BIOS which is not true in my case.

6. Fandom

Fandom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Did anyone after all manage to fix the fan noise problem of the U500VZ after all?

7. Guilden_NL

Guilden_NL Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    LOL! Yes and no. some of us have never had a fan noise problem, like me and mine was one of the first shipped.
    Others say they still have the fan noise problem, but nobody answered me whether they have it running Linux.
    Windows brings all sorts of problems by itself.

There are some who believe it has to do with the thermal paste on the CPU, that makes sense to me.

yet I also wonder if it is not a Windows driver problem.

8. petterk

petterk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    TO CLEARIFY:

I have the latest "refresh"-model (DB120H) with 3632qm CPU and WQHD+ display, and immidiately updated my bios to the latest (v207), running Linux-only, and I noticed a quieter fan noise after the update, although I cant tell you if switching to linux cured the problem or not.

Anyway, "update thermal policy" is noted on this bios-version. You guys should check it out if it applies to your model.

9. vick469

vick469 Newbie

Reputations:
    New topic for BIOS settings.

Not sure if anyone has already posted this.
    I am one to keep my laptop out of raid (I use the 2nd drive as a backup drive on just about all my computers)
    Yesterday I finally I decided to enable HDD protection through bios. AKA HDD password.
    As soon as I restarted my laptop, my password wouldnt work. Wondered what the hell was going on. My password wouldnt work.

So that meant no access to my hardrive, bios or anything really. JUST locked. Called Asus, they wanted 100$ to reset the password. No Thanks.

Here are the steps I took in case anyone else gets screwed with this problem. (sorry thieves, it only works if you actually know the password [and the password is still coming in invalid])

If you DONT want to pay 100$ to get it reset from ASUS do the following:
    TOPIC: How to remove HDD password running in IDE/AHCI.
    1: Get a torix screwdriver and open up your zenbook (dont forget the 2 screws under the rear pads, the pads are difficult to take off)
    2: unhook the battry (for the safety of your computer)(it comes out very easily, just pull the black ribbon up)
    3: unplug the 2nd SSD and pull it out. (it is the one towards the back of the laptop) (note: ssd is the 2 thin sticks above the battery pack to the left)
    4: plug the battry back in (it snaps right in)
    5: put the case back on (dont screwe it on yet)
    6: start your computer, enter your password you originaly setup, & if its the right password you should be loading windows by now.
    7: access bios again to remove the password (if you dont know how to get to bios from windows heres a shortcut (Press Start, type CMD, type the followind command w/o the brackets [shutdown.exe /r /o /t 00] and press enter.
    8: Remove the password, save settings and shut down.
    9: Plug in 2nd hardrive back in & you should be set with both hardrives working again w/o password.

HOWEVER if you want access to both drives & want to have a HDD password, you will have to do it with RAID 0.

Good luck.

10. zachbb

zachbb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    External Monitor Issue

I have a great Dell UltraSharp U2412M, it works fine on every other computer. On the U500vz, its plugged in with the VGA adapter that came with the laptop.

The screen seems to flicker every now and then, which is very annoying (and hurts my eyes) when reading a document. The whole screen basically goes black and then the image comes back, seems to shake a bit and goes back to normal. Sometimes this seems to happen a lot, sometimes less, but usually happens every 2-5 minutes.

Any ideas what the problem could be or how to fix it?

Zach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.